Best way to read the Bible?

Hi all :slight_smile:

I’d like to start reading the Bible…how do I start? Page 1? :slight_smile: I could, but that seems overwhelming. I’ve heard of The One Year Bible (Catholic version). Is this a good way to go? How about a study bible?

Thanks!

One year version is great-if there are notes included. Study Bibles are great but, again it would better within context of a bible study group…The St. Ignatius Bible Study, individual books are excellent. there are some really terrific Catholic Bible studies on the net. Just make sure they are truly Catholic and not some Protestant front group calling themselves Catholic in order to “save” you.
The Agape Catholic Bible Study is wonderful,If you want to start with something that has depth

:eek:

Thanks for your input, I’ll check out the St. Ignatius Bible Study books :thumbsup:

Meg

You might try this guide: chnetwork.org/readguide04.pdf

Definitely Catholic, and also gives you OT, OT psalms/wisdom, and NT each day. I haven’t done that exact one, but I’ve done a similar one, and it worked well.

Best of luck with it! It’s worth the effort.

–Jen

Thanks Jen, I’ll check it out! :slight_smile:
Meg

Just read a book edited by Scott Hahn that advised when reading the Bible to start with the first two books of the Pentateuch, skipping on to Numbers, and then move to the Historical books. That pretty much covers the Old Testament - or at least, gives you the general idea of the Bible.

After that, you could read the Gospels. Then you might want to read the books of law and poetry contained in the Bible; finally finishing with the rest of the New Testament.

This is how I plan to read the Bible anyway! I never read the Bible cover-to-cover as, like you, I was slightly daunted by the task. So now I’m going to read the Bible like the way I was advised to do so in the book I read.

I hope your reading of the Bible is very fruitful, and enjoyable!

Lectio Divina Is the best way to read Holy Writ! I was told the best book to start with is the Holy Gospels themselves! Heres a article on LEctio Divina trappists.org/monastic-life/practice-lectio-divina

Lectio Divina was the way the Ancients of our faith read the Holy Scriptures, can’t beat the way the read. :slight_smile:

Pax

Edit: An opinion of mine that I’ve found most profitable is to choose a book and read it from “cover to cover” not like from Genesis to Revelations, but the individual books of the Bible themselves. And to do so slowly and at ones own pace.

There are lots of ways to read the Bible. Sometimes you just have to try different things to see what works for you.

If your goal is simply to read through every part of the Bible, then a “read the Bible in a year” plan can be a good way to go. The Coming Home Network has a handy brochure with a reading plan. Basically, you stick a bookmark at the beginning of the Bible (Genesis), another in the middle of the Old Testament at the start of the Wisdom books (Psalms) and then a third at the start of the New Testament (Matthew). Then you pretty much read a little bit from each of those three sections every day. I think that’s a better approach than just starting from Genesis and going straight through because it mixes things up more. Otherwise, it can be easy to get discouraged and lose interest once you hit Leviticus. :stuck_out_tongue:

Another way to read through the Bible is the method promoted by the Great Adventure Bible Timeline. Since a lot of us might become familiar with some of the stories in the bible without ever seeing the “Big Picture” of how those stories fit together, the Great Adventure provides a way to first read through the narrative books of the Bible to get the sense of that “Big Picture”. Those 14 narrative books are: Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Joshua, Judges, 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, 1 Maccabees, Luke, and Acts. They produce a handy little Bible Timeline Chart that makes a good reference point. In addition to a timeline of those 14 books, it also shows where the other 59 books fit in chronologically. That is particularly helpful in identifying the time and audience for the writings of the prophets. So, basically, you read those 14 books first to get the sense of the story. Then you read through them again inserting the other 59 books in chronologically as you see them on show up on the chart. By the end, you will have read through the whole Bible and have a better sense of where all the pieces fit.

If you are just looking to delve deeper into Scripture without any sort of time constraint, then the best way to read through is a method known as Lectio Divina. It’s a method used by many of the great saints to read through Scripture in a prayerful way, which is always a good thing to do. :slight_smile: This tends to be a much slower way to read through the Bible, though.

I think there are pluses to any approach. Sometimes, It is kind of neat to sit down and read through one of the Gospels in one sitting. You really get the sense of the structure that way. But then it is also nice to move slowly and dwell on every verse. I recommend using both approaches at different times. Reading through in different ways can yield different insights.

The most important thing is just to get started and don’t give up. :slight_smile:

I read “The One Year Bible - Catholic Edition” every day. Usually it includes a reading from the Old Testament – then a reading from the Epistles --Psalms - Proverbs – then finishes with a reading from the New Testament – I figure in one year I pretty much cover the entire Bible.

I agree that this helped me become Catholic, understanding the flow of the history of the people, with the historical books (so you know the “story”), then the other books can give added content about an historical period to give it more substance in time. For instance, reading psalms when reading about David’s history, or the prophets when at certain places in the historical books, describing the exiles of the people.
If you know the history, when you get to the new testament, and it speaks of something like Jesus’ disciples picking grain to eat on the Sabbath, you might remember David doing a similar thing in the temple when Jesus describes it - you develop historical ears so you can hear like a Jew at the time of Jesus might have heard Jesus.

John Martin

Start at the left and move your eyes to the right.
The Holy Spirit can help with the rest :wink:

Start with the weekly readings. It’s not a book you read from A-Z.

Lots of good suggestions here! :thumbsup:

Personally, I like A Catholic Guide to the Bible. You can even get a free copy from the Catholic Home Study Service.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.