Betancourt, U.S. contractors rescued from FARC

(CNN) – In a secret operation a U.S. official called “brilliant,” the Colombian military infiltrated rebel group FARC and deceived its members into giving up 15 hostages including former Colombian presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt, Colombia’s defense ministry said.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/WORLD/americas/07/02/betancourt.colombia/art.ingrid.mom.afp.gi.jpg Ingrid Betancourt, right, with her mother as she walked off a military plane following her rescue Wednesday.

i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/content/in_the_news/left_gray_btn.gif
1 of 3
i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/2.0/global/pic_changer/next.gif

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_BL.gif Appearing healthy after being held hostage for six years in the jungle, Betancourt, walked down from a Colombian military jet in Bogota on Wednesday and hugged her mother and husband, a broad smile on her face.

“God carried out this miracle,” she said. “This is a miracle because I know that all of you suffered with my family, my children, with me. This is a moment of pride for all of Colombia for such a perfect operation.”

cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/07/02/betancourt.colombia/index.html

bp1.blogger.com/_L6pDyjqqsvY/R8nC8z1j_xI/AAAAAAAALrg/TjG9lgf3y_E/s400/Farc+US+hostages.jpg
Gonsalves, Stansell and Howes were doing drug surveillance for the Department of Defense when they were taken hostage in February 2003. The single-engine plane carrying them and two other men crashed in a remote, mountainous region south of Colombia’s capital, Bogota. Almost four years later they are still being held by FARC… until today.

This was such great news. I’m not Columbian, but I’ve been reading and listening to many of the things that have happened with FARC.

My mom and I wanted to cry because it’s just such happy news. Their poor families suffering for many years. I think they said that Bentacourt’s mother was praying a rosary everyday and despite all this ordeal they still maintained their faith in God.
It truly was the Lord’s miracle.

I am Colombian, (well my parents came to America and I was born here)

and you Have noooooo idea how happy everyone is

its going to be our news of the century probably,
we are so tired of that guerrilla, it has ruined such a good thing for 60 years

the most beautiful thing about this is Colombia as a Catholic country has not forgotten that, the first thing the President said when he talked he said By the Help of Our Lord, and our Blessed Mother, some great things have happened today

and while Ingrid was in captivity she gave a video talk to her family telling her she gets up really early to pray the rosary, and if they wished to be united with her every day, then for them too to pray the rosary
and since she’s been free, she has been thanking the Virgin for doing this

one of the head guys of our military asked his late mother the morning of the rescue, for her intercession, in that all would go well

and no one in the rescue was killed or shot, which has just made this ordeal so more clean

that said, I will never stop praying that anyone kidnapped thats still alive comes home from the jungle soon!

A classic special forces operation. You won’t hear much about U.S. involvement, but it was there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.