Bethlehem for Census?

An old friend told me that there is much proof that there was not a census being taken by the Romans at the time Joseph and Mary went to Bethlehem. It would seem to me that not many records would be around today regardless of how well the Romans were at record keeping. Any idea what he can be refering to or how to refute?

Luke 2:1-5 tells us, “In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be enrolled. This was the first enrollment, when Quirin’i-us was governor of Syria. And all went to be enrolled, each to his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the city of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be enrolled with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child.”

Regarding the historical accuracy of this account, *The Navarre Bible * states that Caesar Augustus “is known to have conducted various censuses, one of which could well be that referred to by [Luke].” Additionally, A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture states, “historical research tends to confirm the accuracy of Lk.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.