Between Brock Turner and Brett Kavanaugh, when do girls matter?

ATM there are statutes of limitations on when crimes can be investigated.
All we have is he-said/she-said and a very interesting timeline of when she decided to come forward with her accusations.

(And off on a side note, there are plenty of adults walking around with expunged juvenile records. And some of them are in positions of authority . And they’re untouchable).

So it’s not “mean conservative culture “ going on here, but a great deal of legal precedent.

2 Likes

Why should we believe this woman?

She can’t remember when it happened or where.
She claimed that another boy witnessed the act- he has no recollection at all.

Kavanaugh has been in & out of the political sphere for about 15 years, and it has never come up?

Why should she be allowed to all of a sudden claim rape, when she doesn’t even know when or where it happened.

As a person who was sexually assaulted in HS, 30 years ago (I am not a ‘victim’, so I will not use that word), I find her lack of memory fishy. I remember the details like it happened yesterday. I know where, exactly, I was, when it was, who else was at said party, etc. It is not something that you ever forget.

5 Likes

I have not seen or heard many that say, “hey, this happened in high school” but I admit there have been a few. Here is a Dennis Prager article that explores it a bit. I can say, it seems very unfair to take something 36 years ago and then, maybe prevent someone now, from taking an important office but it is very complex. We certainly would not say that about say, “murder”. So, I’m not sure if we are talking about rape here…if it occurred.

Excerpt per commonly acknowledged guidelines on forums to prevent copyright infringement.

Dennis Prager - The Charges Against Judge Kavanaugh Should Be Ignored

It is almost impossible to overstate the damage done to America’s moral compass by taking the charges leveled against Judge Brett Kavanaugh seriously.

It undermines foundational moral principles of any decent society.

Those who claim the charges against Judge Kavanaugh by Christine Blasey Ford are important and worth investigating, and that they ultimately, if believed, invalidate his candidacy for the U.S. Supreme Court are stating that:

a) What a middle-aged adult did in high school is all we need to know to evaluate an individual’s character – even when his entire adult life has been impeccable.

1 Like

This is what Dennis Prager mentioned in the article. I don’t know if this example compares but sometimes, we can even remember wrongs… and yes, petty wrongs we have gone through. Did someone call me a name on the internet? I remember those circumstances fairly well. And again, I’m just using an example of a “petty wrong”, not comparing this to a sexual assault or other serious breaches of the law.

Oh, definitely! I can remember some “petty” wrongs myself. That was a great article too!

That said, I don’t know too many people who don’t remember all of the details of a trauma they endured.

1 Like

Well, going by the #MeToo movement, apparently due process is never an issue. It’s never even tried. Someone brings up a decades old accusation, and a plethora of people suddenly recall their own decades old events. Guilt is presumed, trial is by media, and punishment is immediate. Due process? Forget about it.

1 Like

The fourth person at the party, a woman, last name Keyser:

CNN has learned that the committee has reached out to a longtime friend of Ford named Leland Ingham Keyser.

On Saturday night, her lawyer, Howard Walsh, released a statement to CNN and the Senate Judiciary Committee…

“Simply put,” Walsh said, “Ms. Keyser does not know Mr. Kavanaugh and she has no recollection of ever being at a party or gathering where he was present, with, or without, Dr. Ford.”

https://ktvq.com/cnn-us-politics/2018/09/22/senate-judiciary-committee-contacts-fords-friend-about-party/

This seems to mean that Blasley Ford talked of 4 people at this party, I think all have been contacted now and no one corroborates the story.

My apologies if this is off the original topic, but it still seems important to say.

3 Likes

So even if it did happen, it doesn’t matter, because it’s just sexual assault. Not, like, anything serious.

Once again, we’re proving Simcha’s point.

2 Likes

I have a real problem with a man, any man, faced with an accusation from 30 years ago that happened at a teen party where people were drinking and has (so far) no supporting evidence, being mentioned in the same breath as someone who raped a woman who was passed out and in addition to immediate physical evidence was witnessed by two sober bystanders.
Apples and oranges.

I can’t take seriously any commentator that would lump the two cases together and I don’t care who the man is.

1 Like

The amount of “come on, what teenage boy hasn’t done this kind of thing?” discussion going on is really terrifying.

1 Like

This isn’t a trial. It’s a job interview.

1 Like

When do boys matter? How many women would lose their career if media exposed their high school and college sexploitations or instances of domestic violence? How many women have slapped their boyfriends or broken things in anger? Men aren’t the only jerks

1 Like

I’m not trying to be snarky but have a conversation with a Holocaust survivor some time. Or chat with more than one who were in the same camp. Often their stories can contain discrepancies. Do we use this fact to disprove the Holocaust?

Should someone be penalized for an allegation that occurred when they were 17 in which no charges were pressed against him? Evidence like that wouldn’t be admitted in court, why should it be entered here?

Because this isn’t a trial. It’s a job interview.

1 Like

Where was this kind of scrutiny when Obama admitted to smoking marijuana

1 Like

I see how you would come to that conclusion, but the focal point of Simcha’s article is how a lot of people claim that even if their guy is 100% guilty of doing the sexual assault, it’s no big deal.

I do acknowledge that this is a bipartisan issue, as does Simcha.

Come now. You’re certainly above whataboutism.

You’re right. I just think this whole thing is very petty. There were no charges and it happened when he was 17

Right. Her point seems to be “When is a woman able to come forward and be believed?” And given the two cases she spotlights, the answer seems to be “never.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.