Beyonce: ‘Women Should Own Their Sexuality’

abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2014/04/beyonce-women-should-own-their-sexuality/

“There is unbelievable power in ownership, and women should own their sexuality,” she wrote. “There is a double standard when it comes to sexuality that still persists. Men are free and women are not. That is crazy. The old lessons of submissiveness and fragility made us victims.”
Hopefully it’s just a phase our society is going through. Sex is an ever so primitive experience. It can’t compare to the spiritual rewards of the Holy Spirit! God will once again prevail in society, but not for awhile.

Romans 8:28 RSV
We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose.

I believe Beyonce is basically a loving person, as are many Atheists, and God is patiently waiting for her conversion.

Please don’t look down on such people.

I was once an Atheist who kicked and ‘insulted’ the Church everywhere I could. But behold, I’m now a strong believer with an unshakable faith! Consider also that God will not hold ‘sins’ against us that were not made with free will; and I think this is most pertinent to our world today!

LOVE! :heart:

In a way Beyoncé is right. Women should own their sexuality by not giving it away cheaply. And servile submissiveness is not a Christian virtue. It takes a strong woman to resist the tide of sexual promiscuity that has washed over our culture. No woman should so pine after a man’s attention that she simply gives herself to him without any responsibility on either side. Beyoncé has seen the folly of that but she hasn’t yet seen the real reasons for it.

When atheists rail against the Church with all kinds of bile, it is hard to love them. That’s human nature, I’m afraid. This is why we must love everyone, even those most dear to us, with Christ’s love through the power and grace of the Holy Spirit. For if we rely on our own human ability to love we will fail even them.

Yes, it’s hard, but…

“If you don’t let go of your resentment, if you refuse to forgive others, you’ll be robbing yourself of your heavenly Father’s forgiveness.” ~Matthew 6:15

I think what she’s saying is the opposite of how you might be taking it.
I think she’s saying that women should not be swayed or pressured by others regarding their body…and that includes having sex when they don’t want to or feel that it’s wrong. I think she is saying something very empowering and strengthening to women here.
When she says “submissive” and “fragile” she is talking about women giving into a man’s pressure or someone else’s idea of what her sexuality is. She is saying that is not healthy, and she’s right.

Beyonce, fyi, isn’t an Atheist, just in case you thought she was:

She says:
“The thing that keeps me grounded is knowing that I’m always protected and that God is in control of things. Even the name of our group, Destiny’s Child, we got out of the Bible. . . For me it is about the way I carry myself and the way I treat other people. My relationship and how I feel about God and what he does for me is something deeply personal. It’s where I came from. I was brought up in a religious household and that’s very important to me.”

Yes, this is how I was interpreting her.

I stand corrected! Thank you!

One of Beyonce’s latest hits was about asking the limousine driver to roll up the divider so she could perform degrading sexual acts on a man in the back seat.

If I have daughters, I don’t want them imbibing Beyonce’s ideas about “female empowerment” which seem to amount to making sure women can be as promiscuous any man could possibly be.

She’s not an athiest, by the way, and I think deep down she knows what she promotes isn’t right, but she makes so much money doing it, it must be hard to listen to her conscience.

It took 40 years of brainwashing to get to this point. The Women’s Liberation Movement, which was run primarily by radical feminists, did not want to set up situations that offered solutions between any problems between men and women. Instead, the primary goal was to set up a wall of division between the sexes. Instead of cooperation, they resorted to calling men “male chauvenist pigs.”

According to Feminist icon, Gloria Steinem (co-founder of the divisive Ms. Magazine - yes, that’s where that word came from): “A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.” Betty Friedan compared the family to “a comfortable concentration camp.”

All women, and men, should understand what human sexuality is about. This kind of ownership thinking is automatically assuming something bad. It takes two. You earn each other’s trust, you become friends and it may also lead to marriage. Not casual sex with random people. Not “OK, we’re good in bed, so let’s get married.” Relationships between men and women mean more than that. Sure, you find this or that person attractive, but if you don’t find out if you are really compatible, the sex part is meaningless. Cooperation and understanding each other, not sex and we’re done.

amazon.com/Extreme-Makeover-Transformed-Conformed-Culture/dp/1586175610

Peace,
Ed

This is going to sound snarky no matter how I put it, here goes anyway;

I would rather God own my sexuality. (He’s a much better manager of such than I am)

Ask any guy, and they will snicker at this interpretation of female “empowerment”. In most guys’ views, representing and promoting degrading sexual activity doesn’t make a woman seems “stronger”, it turns a woman into an object for our viewing pleasures; less than human.

It seems like this approach to female sexuality is so backwards, am I missing something? Why can’t women just own their sexuality, meaning they can treat us like the dogs we can be by not giving in to our degrading animal desires? Isn’t that much more empowering?

I have a friend who is a stripper that truly believes she is “owning her body” by stripping, but I know she cries all the time, because all the men that go to her shows treat her like a sub-human - she has no self-worth. Her self-worth is defined by how many guys grab her. Is that really the best way to go about this?

And I’d rather listen to the words of Our Blessed Mother than Beyonce.

Actually, that attitude precedes the Women’s Liberation Movement. It was first formally articulated in Helen Gurley Brown’s 1962 classic “Sex and the Single Girl.” A couple years later, Brown founded Cosmopolitan magazine (she headed Cosmo for the next three decades.)

Brown’s message was distinctly different from Friedan’s and Steinem’s (hence, the founding of a different magazine.) Helen Gurley Brown’s message really took hold in the 1980s and 1990s, as younger feminists embraced a “sex-positive” message in contrast to the more restrained views of people such as Friedan and Steinem.

Know your enemy. It isn’t Steinem or Friedan.

I hope I’m not going on a tangent, but the feminist movement is like the mass transportation of society from point ‘A’ to point ‘B.’ Was it all planned? I think so.

We need to remember that ‘good’ and ‘evil’ are working in conjunction with each other, to bring our miserable and corrupt world to salvation. God is in full control over Satan! Beyounce’s statement are fully under the will of God for good reason.

She added: “We are all the same and we all want the same things: the right to be happy, to be just who we want to be and to love who we want to love.”

AMEN :slight_smile:

Agreed. I could care les what Beyoncé says about anything. Unfortunately though, many young girls hang on her words.

Aside from this issue, we need to pray for our daughters and all the young women of the world, as they are bombarded with ideology that is contrary to holiness from many arenas.

That is completely the truth. The stripper strips for who? Guys. She turns herself into an object to pander to men’s base desires and gets money for it. That’s somebody’s daughter or sister or mom. It is totally backwards.

“I don’t want men to treat me like a sex object but I’ll dress, or undress, for exactly that purpose.” You are totally getting it.

Human dignity requires human decency. Self-worth requires self-respect and respect for others.

A woman is a whole person. The physical, mental, emotional and spiritual parts are what make her who she is. But “acting like a lady” turned into all men - that’s us - are out to use and probably abuse all women. NO. Earned trust, friendship, and knowing the proper innate differences between the feminine and the masculine, and how they are complementary, will get your thinking going in the right direction.

Peace,
Ed

Thanks for your comments. My thoughts exactly.:thumbsup:

It’s all done out of evil spirits, and the strong spell of Satan! Things will change, I promise, but not in the near future.

I’m not a fan of Beyonce (to put it mildly) and I think some of her newest material is way over the top, I’m a adult woman and don’t want to hear that. However, lets not forget that Beyonce is a married woman so she is talking about sexuality within marriage. Thats not a defense of her material, not by a long shot, but the fact is we don’t have to like it (I don’t for a myriad of reasons including but not limited to this) but she is one of the few entertainers recently who married first, then had a baby and 95% of this sexuality kick she’s been on (in interviews at least) has been post marriage.

I recently saw her perform on TV. If that was my daughter - no way. The outfit she wore and the movements she made? Uh, uh. Enough is enough.

Peace,
Ed

I agree. Back when she was singing with Destiny’s child, her mother designed and sewed the costumes. I was flabbergasted even at that young age (I’m a few years younger than Beyonce) I can recall as a working, adult spending time with my parents and my dad thinking a summer dress of mine showed too much cleavage and he wanted me to wear a sweater. I cant imagine a parent designing something revealing for me to wear.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.