Beyonce's Ave Maria

Here are her lyrics. Take it however you want, but I always think that when a word such as “baby” or “darling” appears in a song it is referring to a human being and not symbolic.

"She was lost in so many different ways
Out in the darkness with no guide
I know the cost of a losing hand
Never thought the grace of God go high

I found heaven on earth
You were my last, my first
And then here this voice inside
Ave Maria

I’ve been alone
When I’m surrounded by friends
How could the silence be so loud
But I still go home knowing that I’ve got you
There’s only us when the lights go down

You are my heaven on earth
You are my hunger, my thirst
I always hear this voice inside
Singing Ave Maria

Sometimes love can come and pass you by
While your busy making plans
Suddenly hit you and then you realize
It’s out of your hands, baby you got to understand

You are my heaven on earth
You are my last, my first
And then I hear this voice inside
Ave Maria
Ave Maria
Ave Maria"

Got the lyrics from this website.

6lyrics.com/music/beyonce/lyrics/ave_maria31.aspx

Here is the YouTube so that one can listen to it if one wants: Ave Maria youtube.com/watch?v=rgxfthPHTwc

The way that she sings the words “Ave Maria” is so beautiful and lovely!! I wonder how she learned it. :shrug:

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Aww, your poor keyboard…

Don’t worry. After I sell this song to Britney Spears’ reps, I’ll be rolling in enough dough to buy you a new one. :smiley:

Um, I don’t think she had to do anything special to “learn” how to sing the phrase “Ave Maria”. It’s not bel canto or anything remotely classical in sound and she sings that phrase just like all the other words in the song.

And I don’t think Our Lady would like her name being mentioned along with this phrase, “There’s only us when the lights go down”.

On the upside, maybe some unmarried couples might think twice about consummating their relationship after getting a “churchy” feel from this love song.

You may be onto something there … I think that you and Ghoti (see #18 above) need to copyright those lines quickly, before Beyonce or Britney (or some other killer “B”) snaps them up without giving you due credit. :wink:

I’ve always been the sort to mentally address most love songs to the Lord, since I don’t (and probably won’t ever) have a man in my life. I gave these lyrics some thought as I read them and they really fit that kind of love more than most love songs do…

Oh joy! Another reason to avoid Beyonce besides the “upgrade” commercial.

##** What has Bonky done now ? **

HNY to you too :slight_smile:

Maybe they can find the beginning of the Hail Mary in Luke 1 :rolleyes:

Here’s another rendition of a classic by a pop singer, LOL:

youtube.com/watch?v=X9pkWOI6CGE

Maybe I am oversensitive, but I am seriously bothered by the level of antagonism/rancor in this thread. Where is all this anger/rancor coming from?

Maybe this song will bring people closer to Christ. As a former Protestant, I saw protestant Christians who are too spooked by Mary and Catholicism to learn anything about her presented directly from us Catholics. It was only when a Protestant leader could clearly explain the concepts of devotion that they realized they have no problem with it.

This fear of Mary is very dangerous for their souls and strikes me as possibly irrational. Maybe if she is introduced into popular culture by singers, maybe they will lose her fear and it will be one step closer to the Christian unity that we all pray for. If we notice, it may be the Anglicans, who never picked up that fear of Mary who are the absolute closest to uniting with the Roman Catholic Church.

If one reads True Devotion to Mary fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html by St. Louis Mary Grignon de Montfort, Mary always leads people to Christ. There are also quite a few conversion stories of wiccas and Protestants (maybe even posted on the Spirituality forum of this board) who started praying the Rosary regularly and then later become Catholics. Who knows, maybe the people listening to this will be touched

Our fear may be more significant when Catholics, who ought to know better, start to misuse her name. For example, Stalin, who left Catholic seminary, spread devotions to Mary in Russia.

To the best of my imperfect and sometimes sinful understanding, this is the gist of the song:

1. She was lost, alone. If you read her interviews, she suffered from depression for a while.
  2. Something happy came into her life that brought her joy.
  3. Now she wants to sing “Ave Maria.”

Maybe its a very different form of praise and veneration of Jesus and Mary for bringing her through a troubled time.

Jesus walks
by Kanye West is also a potentially powerful music video. Here is the music video:
(Version 1) youtube.com/watch?v=b8AyHupByuU

(Version 2) youtube.com/watch?v=HUmcUuPo3Jo

Excerpted Lyrics:

Yo, We at War
We at war with terrorism, racism, and most of all we are at war with ourselves
(Jesus walks)
God show me the way because the Devil trying to break me down
(Jesus Walks with me) with me, with me, with me [fades]

To the hustlers, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers
(Jesus walks with them)
To the victims of Welfare for we living in hell here yeah
(Jesus walks with them)
No hear ye hear ye want to see Thee more clearly
I know he hear me when my feet get weary
Cause we’re the almost nearly extinct
We rappers are role models we rap we don’t think
I ain’t here to argue about his facial features
Or here to convert atheists into believers
I’m just trying to say the way school need teachers
The way Kathie Lee needed Regis that’s the way I need Jesus
So here go my single dog radio needs this
They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
But if I talk about God my record won’t get played Huh?
Well let this take away from my spins
Which will probably take away from my ends
Then I hope this take away from my sins
And bring the day that I’m dreaming about
Next time I’m in the club everybody screaming out.

(Jesus Walks)
God show me the way because the devil trying to break me down
(Jesus Walks)
The only thing that I pray is that my feet don’t fail me now
(Jesus Walks)
And I don’t think there’s nothing I can do now to right my wrongs
(Jesus walks with me… fades)
I want to talk to God but I’m afraid because we ain’t spoke in so long

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

Stalin went to a Georgian Orthodox seminary.

You’d think just cuz you have ‘Ave Maria’ in a song that it’ll have something to do w/ Mary, Mother of God.

Oh McDonald had a farm, e i e i o.
and then here this voice inside
Hail Mary

and on that farm he had some pigs, e i e i o
and I hear this voice inside
Hail Mary

try it in the original Ave Maria tune…

Stalin, the Apostle of Genocide ? He’s no example of anything, except of lies, deceit, & murderous cruelty. :mad: :mad: :mad: The R.O.Ch. is definitely not to blame for him.

The BVM is almost the last subject we should associate with him - that would be like making Hitler a patron of of Jewish-Christian relations: such subjects are defiled & **polluted **by being associated with gangsters like them :frowning: :frowning:

The BVM would vomit at the thought of having her good name dragged in the mud by even being named in the same sentence as such children of the devil. :eek: She deserves better. :frowning: What has she done, to be associated with beasts like that ? :frowning:

I’m with you all the way, and “Jesus Walks” is, in my opinion, about the only good song that Kanye West has ever done.

i know im abit late for this but i just got her album and to be honest its my favourite song on the album, its beautiful i think with lovely melodies, maybe because im a music student so thats another view, the way i look at it a song always has a meaning, we cant say all that negative ideas about her, im sure she has a reason… but to me i having the ave maria made me llike it even more, its more like a collaboration and has a good contrast, im sure its nothing to do with religion or Catholic against protestant. we all believe in GOD thats the most important thing…and just another thing alot of catholic songs that are sang during masses are from Hillsong or other christian denominational. groups… thats y the important thing is we belive in the same god…

peace.

This is off-topic, but Hallelujah a song I like but I’m never sure whether it’s religious or intended as a knock on religion.

Lyrics:

[size=2]“Hallelujah”[/size]

Now I've heard there was a secret chord

That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don’t really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Baby I have been here before
I know this room, I’ve walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you.
I’ve seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It’s a cold and it’s a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time you let me know
What’s really going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain
I don’t even know the name
But if I did, well really, what’s it to you?
There’s a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn’t matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn’t much
I couldn’t feel, so I tried to touch
I’ve told the truth, I didn’t come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I’ll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Oddly, this song was on the Shrek soundtrack.

Just two or three verses. There’s (at least) another:

Maybe there’s a God above
And all I ever learned from love
Is how to shoot at someone
Who outdrew you
But it’s not a cry you hear at night
It’s not a pilgrim who’s seen the light
It’s a cold and it’s a broken
Hallelujah

Hallelujah…

Leonard Cohen uses a lot of religious and sexual imagery tied together in his songs. In this case I do not think it’s a knock against religion – especially due to the last verse you posted. I think it’s more about the spiritual aspect of sexual love.

Cohen was one of what they called the “Bedsitter” genre of poets – i.e., the first emos. :smiley:

On another “note” :), Pete Townshend has stated (on one occasion at least) that “Let My Love Open the Door” can be interpreted as a love song from God to man. A lot of Townshend’s music – at least from the “Tommy” era – is inspired from the philosophy of Meher Baba.

Ok…I think a lot of us are really getting nit-picky and not grasping the concept of artistic expression. The first time I heard this song I actually loved it. To ME, it told the story of a woman who had been down-and-out that by the grace of God found peace and a loving relationship. How many of us have prayed, or asked the Blessed Mother or Saints to pray for us, that we might find happiness and peace in our own lives? When I first heard the song I just thought it was sweet at first, but then I got goosebumps when she started singing Ave Maria in the chorus…When you have been praying to find that man or woman in your life and you finally do because of your constant prayer and faith, why WOULDN’T you continue to pray the Hail Mary afterwords? I don’t see what the problem is…she wasn’t trying to make it a Christmas song at all on the album (the Rockefeller performance was most likely people approaching her to sing and they thought it would be clever I guess…not very, in my opinion seeing as how it wasn’t a Christmas song). Anyways, I think it’s ridiculous to slam her when the thing most people here are getting mad about isn’t even a real issue. It was never a Christmas song, and her using the words “Ave Maria” don’t raise any moral issue at all. There are waaaay bigger things to get all in a fuss over.

Beyonce is one of the biggest stars on the planet you fricking moron!

LOL!! Yep.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.