Beyond the Convent Walls: Carmelite nuns of Mobile tell their stories

This is so beautiful!

Beyond the Convent Walls: Carmelite nuns of Mobile tell their stories

blog.al.com/living-press-register/2011/01/beyond_the_convent_walls_carme.html

That was lovely Shoshana! I just watched the video. I plan on sending it to a special friend, in the Lay Carmelite Community we belong to.

Peace,

Dorothy

Thanks be to God for the Carmelite Order. :slight_smile:

[quote="Shin, post:3, topic:226908"]
Thanks be to God for the Carmelite Order. :)

[/quote]

I second that! :)

Come to think of it, I thank God for all the orders we have in the Church.

It is sad for them but then myself and at least one other woman that I wrote to was told by these nuns that were were "too old" to be accepted. She was 39-40 and I was maybe 44. Perhaps they really meant THEY were to old to deal with postulants?

Unfortunately, there are many orders low in numbers who could perhaps be revived with vocations who aren't 25 or 30! but they aren't given a chance.

Yes, hindsight and all that but you have to wonder.

[quote="Dorothy, post:2, topic:226908"]
That was lovely Shoshana! I just watched the video. I plan on sending it to a special friend, in the Lay Carmelite Community we belong to.

Peace,

Dorothy

[/quote]

Oh what a coincidence! I have just put my application for the order of discalced carmelites secular myself in Buffalo!:)

May our Lord Jesus Christ and our Blessed Mother be with you and lead you!

I am in the other branch, O. Carm. For me it began in 1975 till I moved from Long Island, NY to Florida in 1986. I was isolated from community till 2000, when a wonderful lady was the instrument to begin a Lay Carmelite order here in Florida. I am so blessed in being with this group from their beginnings!

Peace,

Dorothy

I read the original story about these Sisters. It’s too bad that they had to leave their convent because they were too old to maintain it; but I was happy to read that there will be ‘replacement’ nuns to take it over!

Reminds me of what was done at a Carmel in the Diocese of Harrisburg, PA. The community was getting smaller and older, and then some TRADITIONAL Carmelites from an overflowing monastery in Nebraska [yay for Bishop Bruskiewitz!] were invited to take it over.

Yes what would we do without Bishop Bruskewitz? :)

The conservative Carmel in Kensington CA closed last year. The nuns moved to the Carmel in San Francisco.

Great video! Thanks for sharing.

I know how you feel when a Carmelite monastery closes. There was one in Schenectady, NY, which closed in 2005 (noisy and crowded inner-city neighborhood). I knew the nuns quite well, because when I was younger (ages 15 to 23) I thought of entering that monastery. The Sisters moved to another Carmel in Rochester, NY. I’ve been to visit them a few times since the move. It’s in a lot nicer area.

Is the Carmel in San Francisco ‘not conservative’?

[quote="Shin, post:9, topic:226908"]
Yes what would we do without Bishop Bruskewitz? :)

[/quote]

Amen to that! The traditonal Carmel in Valparaiso was bursting at the seams with vocations, so several of the nuns went to Elysburg, PA to re-found the Carmel there. They had the chapel refitted to reflect the strict enclosure. And there was quite a crowd for the rededication and enclosure ceremony!

What would we do without traditional cloistered nuns? Our world would be in an even worse way without them!

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:12, topic:226908"]
Is the Carmel in San Francisco 'not conservative'?

[/quote]

The Carmel of Cristo Rey in San Francisco is definitely "conservative" - thick double grilles, full habit, etc.

Yes, some more conservative Carmels like Kensington, CA and this one in Mobile have had to close, along with "less conservative" Carmels <-- many of which have merged. But we do have to remember, we have something like 65+ Carmels in the United States So some of them are bound to close, both traditional and not so traditional. The current trend remains though that the more traditional Carmels are getting more vocations, and not only the obvious one - Valparaiso .. several others :thumbsup:

youtube.com/watch?v=nIMuxhOzwSs

Praised be Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary His Mother! (words Carmelites say out loud upon arising)

Shoshana & LaudemGloriae- God bless you both for sharing and many thanks to the Carmelite Order who Pray for us all.

Thank you, I enjoyed this story and video and posted it on facebook. God bless you!

It gives me such joy to “see” you on here. I really enjoy reading your blog it has been most helpful.

Thank you and God bless you and the Carmelite Sisters,
goforgoal

Sister Helena,

I thank you for your blog! I bookmarked it, there are so many good things to read on it.

Peace,

Dorothy

Dorothy and goforgoal, thank you! you made my day!

God bless you Sr. Helena and thank God for our Religious Sisters, brothers, Nuns, monks,Priests, Pope Benedict XVI, and so many more that dedicate their lives and services to us and to Our Lord.

Thank you for Praying for me…for all of us.

Even though, we may never meet face to face on Earth I Pray that we will meet in Heaven.

May God bless “carmelitegirl93” who put this on her favorite video:

“Carmelite Nuns move into Monastery”

youtube.com/user/spongepants93#p/f/8/3xWCYqKRIoU

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.