Bhagavad Gita As it is? What do you think?

A monk walked up to me and handed me the book, saying it's for the einsteins of this world, he seemed like a peaceful guy, I should have better evangalized to him about Christ I made sure he belived in a God, and his answer about Jesus Christ was, he gave us the book,

Meaning

A) he inspired it
B) there is a cook out there who said jesus reincarnated to him.

There is some great quotes in it from skiming through it but im curious about how spiritually on my toes I should be is the real question.

From someone who has read the book please, or heard from a reputable source.

On a side note he said the last pope owned it, he didnt know which name of a pope, but I assumed my patron JP2.

Christs Peace

Hello brother:

Funny your mentioning the Gita as I just ordered a copy on Amazon days ago and am looking forward to reading it. By the way, I'm no Einstein!

If it's anything like Rabindranath Tagore's Gitanjali (Song Offerings), it should be a treasure of beautiful spirituality. Gitanjali is like the Psalms but without some of the violence which some psalms contain.

"There are many mansions in my Father's house", said the Lord. Remember that and don't be afraid to seek Him everywhere.

Peace

I will first say this, I am no expert on Hinduism. What I do know however is this, while there are many things in this world possessing beauty and truth, Only the Church Possesses the fullness of beauty and truth as passed down by Christ Himself. I would not recommend the Bhagavad Gita to anyone who does not have a firm and mature grasp of their own spiritual life. As the document Nostra Aetate from the second Vatican council would indicate:

The Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these religions. She regards with sincere reverence those ways of conduct and of life, those precepts and teachings which, though differing in many.aspects from the ones she holds and sets forth, nonetheless often reflect a ray of that Truth which enlightens all men. Indeed, she proclaims, and ever must proclaim Christ “the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6), in whom men may find the fullness of religious life, in whom God has reconciled all things to himself.

This must be understood within the context that one who is encountering these things is able to accurately discern what is true and holy and also within the understanding that it’s totality is less than the holiness and truth of Christ, and the ability to articulate that (thus fulfilling evangelistic purpose of such inquiry). My advice to you is if you doubt that you are able to discern that, then step away, if you think you are able, seek spiritual direction first.

On second hand after reading a bit, No thank you sir!!!

Good things yes,

But bad things, Also very much…

I.E, Jesus Christ, is the same God as the part of there God. But did not come to earth and die for our sins, not the same person, but the same person, umm no thank you.

Theres nothing the bible cannot give me

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.