Bibe Verses Supporting the Catholic Belief of Purgatory

A collection of all the verses in the Bible we can find supporting the belief of Purgatory should be here. The reason I do this is because I want to show “Bibe Christians” the Truth, and this is the #1 way to reach them. Here is the ultimate place for a collection of verses proving Purgatory’s existence. I’ll begin;

Rev. 21:27 - "…Nothing unclean shall enter it (heaven)…"
1 Cor. 3:15 - "…The person will be saved, but only as through fire."
Mt. 5:18-30 - “Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.”

…I’ll post more when I get the time. In the meantime, join in!:wave:

2 Sam 12:13-18
Matthew 5:48
1 Corinthians 3:13-15
Revelation 20:12-15
1 Peter 4:8
Revelation 21:27
Hebrews 12:22-23
Matthew 12:32, 18:32-35
James 5:20
Colossians 1:24

Mt 5:48 - be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect
Heb 12:14 - strive for that holiness without which cannot see God
Jam 3:2 - we all fall short in many respects
Rev 21:27 - nothing unclean shall enter heaven
1Jn 5:16-17 - degrees of sins distinguished
Jam 1:14-15 - when sin reaches maturity gives birth to death
2Sam 12:13-14 - David, though forgiven, still punished for his sin
Mt 5:26 - you will not be released until paid last penny
Mt 12:32 - sin against Holy Spirit unforgiven in this age or next
Mt 12:36 - account for every idle word on judgment day
2Macc 12:44-46 - atoned for dead to free them from sin
1Cor 3:15 - suffer loss, but saved as through fire
1Pet 3:18-20; 4:6 - Jesus preached to spirits in prison
2Tim 1:16-18 - Paul prays for dead friend Onesiphorus
1Cor 15:29-30 - Paul mentions people baptizing for the dead

Maccabees:12:43 And making a gathering, he twelve thousand drachms of silver to Jerusalem for sacrifice to be offered for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously concerning the resurrection,

12:44 (For if he had not hoped that the that were slain should rise again, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,)

12:45 And because he considered that the who had fallen asleep with godliness, had great grace laid up for them. 12:46 It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.

Maccabees is good for us Catholics

But for a Protestant “Bible Christian” it is not good to quote. How many times did I used to hear that you could only find purgatory in the apocrypha? Since Maccabees wasn’t “proper scripture” we just rejected it out of hand, and didn’t bother to question if the idea, or even the roots of the idea, could be found elsewhere.

The other verses quoted/referenced are much better for showing to a Bible Christian.

Recommendations:

scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html

catholic.com/library/Purgatory.asp

home.inreach.com/bstanley/purg.htm

Lots of verses there, comments & church father quotes. Not that church father quotes are always useful to show a “Bible Christian”. These sites know their way around scriptures relating to purgatory far better than me!

[quote=asteroid]Maccabees is good for us Catholics

But for a Protestant “Bible Christian” it is not good to quote. How many times did I used to hear that you could only find purgatory in the apocrypha? Since Maccabees wasn’t “proper scripture” we just rejected it out of hand, and didn’t bother to question if the idea, or even the roots of the idea, could be found elsewhere.

The other verses quoted/referenced are much better for showing to a Bible Christian.

Recommendations:

scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html

catholic.com/library/Purgatory.asp

home.inreach.com/bstanley/purg.htm

Lots of verses there, comments & church father quotes. Not that church father quotes are always useful to show a “Bible Christian”. These sites know their way around scriptures relating to purgatory far better than me!
[/quote]

Why would anyone doubt the sacrifice of Christ?

It is finished

[quote=rtkiii66]Why would anyone doubt the sacrifice of Christ?

It is finished
[/quote]

I think you misunderstand…

Purgatory is the application of the all-sufficient sacrifice of Christ for the final sanctification in the afterlife for those who died in God’s friendship but were not completely santified before their death. As Jesus said to Peter, “He who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet.” (John 13:10) Purgatory is where those who were previously bathed in the blood of the Christ but died with dirty feet (i.e. with some small (venial) attachment to the world of sin), get their dirty feet re-washed in the blood of the Christ, in order that they might enter God’s presence perfectly clean. The spirits of just men are “made perfect” (Hebrews 12:23) by the blood of Christ, after death in Purgatory if necessary, before they enter heaven.

1 Peter 4:6 speaks of preaching to the dead…the Word to the dead. Think about it…if they are dead and already condemned to hell, then the word has no value to them…they are already condemned. If they are in heaven, they are WITH the Word, the beatific vision. That leaves some other place where it must be beneficial to those souls in prison to hear the Word. That place is purgatory.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.