Bible and the Immortal Soul

I tried to google Bible verses, both from the Old and New Testaments, that support the doctrine on the immortality of the soul. I had little luck so I posted this thread so people can share what they know the Bible teachs on this subject.

My advice would be that you post this in the sacred scripture forum here.

Googling bible verses to support a position makes me wonder how much you really care to know the answer to the question.

This is in apologetics because these verses would be a defense of something taught by the Church.

And I agree with you, ideally I need to do the footwork. Unfortunately I need these verses much sooner rather than later so I thought I’d ask my fellow Catholics to help me out.

Here are some articles addressing your question:

catholic.com/thisrock/1992/9209clas.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1990/9004fea.asp

catholic.com/library/Stumpers_for_Jehovah_Witnesse.asp

(From the article at the above link):

1. Do Humans Possess an Immortal Soul?

Another mistake made by JWs is their denial of the immortality of the soul. The Bible mentions the soul approximately 200 times, and it can be seen to have very different meanings according to the context of each passage. This tract will simply demonstrate that the soul is immortal according to Scripture.

Perhaps the strongest contradiction of the WTS doctrine is seen in Christ’s descent to Hades. In 1 Peter 3:19, the apostle tells his audience how Jesus “preached to the spirits in prison.” If the dead were aware of nothing, then his preaching would have been futile. In the OT, the prophet Isaiah speaks of the condition of the dead, "Sheol underneath has become agitated at you in order to meet you on coming in . . . all of them speak up and say. . . . Those seeing you will gaze even at you, saying . . . " (Is. 14:9-11). These verses indicate clearly that the dead are conscious, and the NT tells the same story. To be absent from the body is not to be unconscious, but rather it enables one to be home with the Lord, according to Paul (2 Cor. 5:8, Phil. 1:23). The body is just a tent, or tabernacle that does not last (2 Cor. 5:1-4; 2 Pet. 1:13), while man cannot kill the soul (Matt. 10:28). In fact, the souls live past the death of the bodies, since John "saw . . . the souls of those slaughtered . . . and they cried with a loud voice, saying . . . and they were told . . . " (Rev. 6:9-11). Because the soul does not die with the flesh, those in heaven are able to offer our prayers to God (Rev. 5:8), and live in happiness (Rev. 14:13).

catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9303otg.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1995/9504clas.asp

That the human soul will survive after death in the possession of an endless conscious existence, is one of the fundamental doctrines of Christianity. The immortality of the soul is taught clearly and explicitly in Gen. 2:7; Wisd. 2:22-23; Eccles. 12:7; Prov. 15:24; Isa. 25:10; Isa. 51:6 and Dan.12:2.

An ethical argument would be a Just and Holy Lawgiver would not impose His moral law upon mankind, without giving it an efficacious sanction in future life. If there be no future life, then the fundamental principles of morality are in irredeemable conflict with the just claims of reason; the fount of seeming law, order and finality is hopeless discord and senseless strife; the most imperious affirmation of our rational moral nature is one of prolonged fraud; the ethical life of man, all that is highest and greatest in this world - that which alone is truly good - is meaningless chaos. Intrinsic contradiction, absolute irrationality is the last answer both of science and philosophy.

Thank you the last two responses were tremendously helpful. I read somewhere along the line that Jews did not believe in an immortal soul, or in Heaven and hell but merely in a common grave after death. Is that another falsehood?

I can not give you citations at the moment, so take this for what it is worth. Anecdotal.
Jews that I have had any type of meaningful contact with have told me they do not believe in hell whatsoever. What type of Judaism did they practice? Can not tell you.
I can not be of anymore assistance to you with the other questions. There are active posters in the non catholic forum that can.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.