Bible and the Quran similarities between the two?

The title is the question.

The question is not very clear. It appears that you are asking if the Bible and the Qur’an are similar, or for examples of similarities, or for Catholic commentary on alleged similarities.

Re: whether they are similar, I would say mostly they are not. Re: examples of similarities, one is that both claim to be the Word of God; another is that they both explore many different topics, including themes like violence and justice; and also, they both talk about God and His nature.

If you are looking for commentary on these similarities, you should probably be more specific. Is there a particular similarity that you are wondering about?

The human founder of Islam, Mohammed, had been presented with the Bible (including the Old Testament and New Testament) as well as the teachings of the Nestorians.

Mohammed apparently took bits and pieces of the Bible and formed his own treatise on
God and religion, called Islam.

So, there are bound to be some “similar” wordings and even partial quotations of the Bible
in the Quran.

Importantly, though, Mohammed, Islam, the Quran deny the Divinity of Christ (Jesus said, “Unless you believe that ‘I AM’, you will die in your sins.”) and the Doctrine of the Trinity.
So, “Similarity” does not imply acceptability.

muslims belive the quran fell from heaven , muslims belive that Jesus is not the son of god, but they also belive in Moses and Abraham so how can they say that the bible is false if it was written way before the quran “fell from heaven” the story of moses and Abraham were written in the bible way before the quran came so there you have it the quran is false and man written

Well, the most important parallel is that the Quran proclaims the Eucharist as necessary to salvation! Well, maybe not…

Sura 5 (Al Ma’idah or The Feast or The Table), verses 112-115, appears to be a redacted version of John 6:30-53. To me, this redaction is an example of how the Quran, and Islam more generally, incorporated Christian scripture, liturgy, and apocrypha in order to make it appear more familiar and recognized by Christians.

It’s important to place the compilation of the Quran into the appropriate time and place. In particular, the Quran was compiled in its current form under the Caliph Uthman around 650 AD. It’s notable that the Muslim armies had conquered territories where the Syriac church had been for centuries, where many of the stories borrowed by the Quran were popular in liturgy and folklore.

Other examples of this practice:
[LIST]
*]The story of Jesus in the cradle in Sura 19:29-34, which appears to be based on the Syriac Infancy Gospel).
*]The breathing of life into clay birds in Sura 3:49 and 5:110, which appears to be based on the popular Christian apocrypha, the Infancy Gospel of Thomas or the Syriac Infancy Gospel).
*]The companions in the cave – Sura 8:7-26 – based on the legendary Christian tale of the Seven Sleepers of Ephesus (which appears to have originated in the Syriac church).
[/LIST]

It’s my belief that the Quran is largely a stitching-together of sayings of Muhammad with popular Christian liturgy, scripture, and apocrypha. We have no direct evidence of Islam prior to the compilation of the Quran under Uthman, and the only extant manuscript we have outside the Uthmanic Quran is dated to prior to 671, and may not inform us about pre-650 very much. There is evidence that under Abu Bakr, the Quran was becoming more standardized.

I have my suspicions that Muhammad himself followed diophysite Christianity or was heavily influenced by it. The “Nestorian” Church of Muhammad’s time was similar in christology to today’s much-beleaguered Church of the East. Muhammad seems to have come to monotheism very close to the border between diophysite Christianity and miaphysite Christianity (such as the Coptic Orthodox Church). Diophysites raged against what they considered “monophysite” heresies, where Jesus consisted of one nature that was both human and divine. Many of Islam’s teachings against thinking of Jesus as divine seem like they could have originated in the diophysite polemics against their Christian christological adversaries. Unfortunately, we only have circumstantial evidence about this, found in the 10th century history of At-Tabari:

Imam Abu Jafar bin Jarir At-Tabari reported that IbnAbbas said, “When Allah decided to raise Isa to heaven,Isa went to his companions while drops of water were dripping from his head. At that time, there were twelve men at the house. Isa said to them,Some of you will disbelieve in me twelve times after having believed in me.’ He then asked, Who among you volunteers that he be made to resemble me and be killed instead of me; he will be with me in my place (in Paradise).' One of the youngest men present volunteered, butIsa commanded him to sit down. Isa repeated his statement and the young man again stood up and volunteered, andIsa again told him to sit down. Isa repeated the same statement and the young man volunteered. This time,Isa said, Then it will be you.' The appearance ofIsa was cast upon that young man, while Isa, peace be on him, was raised to heaven through an opening in the roof of the house. The Jews came looking forIsa and arrested the one that appeared as him, killing him by crucifixion. Some of them disbelieved in Isa twelve times, after they had believed in him. They divided into three groups. One group, Al-Yaqubiyyah (the Jacobites), said, Allah remained with us as much as He willed and then ascended to heaven.' Another group, An-Nasturiyyah (the **Nestorians**), said,Allah’s son remained with us as much as Allah willed and He then rasied him up to heaven.’ A third group said, `Allah’s servant and Messenger remained with us as much as Allah willed and then Allah raised him up to Him.’ The last group was the Muslim group. The two disbelieving groups collaborated against the Muslim group and annihilated it. Islam remained unjustly concealed until Allah sent Muhammad”

Notably, Nestorians and Jacobites were named for Christians who lived hundreds of years after Christ.

Muslims have a lot of respect for the Virgin Mary ( they believe in the immaculate conception). But their story about the birth of Jesus is very different ( there is no manger or inn) compared to the bible and they don’t have St Jospeh in their story.

I have posted some links below they might help

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_in_Islam

youtube.com/watch?v=RTMqDpXLvII&list=TLIDo_7pEHxFmQSbXyDRhUqHCdUEWn1K7V

The Koran is a perversion of the truth. When it was put together the muslims thought the Bible would confirm what was written in the Koran. Of course that was not the case so they had to figure out how to get round that. Their way was to simply say that anything in the Bible that agree with the Koran was true but anything that contradicted in the Koran must be false and so they said those parts of the Bible are corrupted.
Islam and its writings are false.

There is a similarity between the OT and Quran, where humans are punished on this earth for their wrong doings (aka the Law).

There is a big argument about whether humans need a harsh law to keep them from going astray, some people support that principle and some not.

Similar in that the quran obviously draws on judaism and Christianity but that seems to have been by the design of the quranic author who was quite mistaken in many instances.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.