Bible commentary besides Haydock?

Is there a food bible commentary besides the Haydock one?

I am looking for commentariea or tools to help me understand the scriptures.

I have heard of an Aquinas one.

It's my favorite. Especially the LaPide translations.

sites.google.com/site/aquinasstudybible/home

The Navarre Bible Commentary and the ignatius Catholic Study Bible are two other good options.

The Ignatius study guide is the best. It is by Hahn and Mitch.

There was a recent thread on a similar subject (this post has a long list of commentaries).

The Aquinas commentary is online but apparently not complete.

The Ignatius Study Bible (available from Catholic Answers via the “shop” button, above) is NT only but hopefully will have the OT ready soon.

The Navarre Bible is several volumes due to its length.

St. Thomas Aquinas has made a compilation of Patristic commentaries known as the Catena Aurea as well as commentaries of his own on books like the Psalms and the Gospel of St. John.

They have started the Ot. I alrwady have first two books. Not certain if those are only two out.

[quote="sanctabellator, post:7, topic:310852"]
They have started the Ot. I alrwady have first two books. Not certain if those are only two out.

[/quote]

Genesis and Exodus are out with Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon (in one volume) due out in March.

The rest is written. It just takes a while to format it all, I think. there will be a complete OT some day. :)

When it comes to food bibles, I usually rely on Julia Child! :smiley:

:rotfl:

Joy of Cooking for me!

Good ones! :smiley:
Just one more OT…

Here is a cookbook description from www.orthodoxmarketplace.com:

A Biblical Feast: Ancient Mediterranean Flavors for Today’s Table is inspired by the 84 primary foodstuffs mentioned in Scriptures. The appropriate Biblical verse heads each of the almost fifty kitchen-tested recipes, as does the explanation of the ingredients’ culinary, historical and spiritual links. Twenty-two full color photographs and specially commissioned illustrations make it easy to reproduce the dishes. Sample menus provide new ways to celebrate every occasion, whether secular or religious.

Good stuff! They also have Lenten cookbooks, mostly Greek foods.

Go to: christianforums.com/t7541241/
... feel free to bump that thread, they really want ongoing discussion! Note that they point out in the post titles which commentaries are Catholic, such as on pages 2-3: christianforums.com/t7541241-2/#post59523561 "Checked, all these contain Catholic material, except the first".
See also my recent post: forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10214239&postcount=14
... for a few more commentaries. Note: the Believer's Church Bible Commentary is an Anabaptist commentary. The Anabaptists started in the early 16th century and are in between Protestant and Catholic, as is evident from the book A Molinist-Anabaptist Systematic Theology, by MacGregor, University Press of America 2007, and they were persecuted by Protestants.

The most recent commentary I bought was ICC = International Critical Commentary Isaiah 40-55 volume 2 (deals with the second half of chapter 44 through end of chapter 55), by Goldingay and Payne, T&T Clark January 2007, hardcover 392 pages. It's Evangelical. But I thought it was the best commentary on 52:13-53:12 and for this portion of the Scripture (chapters 44-55) I don't think it makes any difference that those two scholars are not Catholic. I tried out a Jewish commentary on Deutero-Isaiah first and didn't like how it treated the suffering servant passage. Unfortunately it's not yet available in Logos, but it will be, T&T Clark and Logos are negotiating how much Logos should pay them.
Here are some recommendations by an Evangelical, Mark Smith, of ICC volumes: community.logos.com/forums/p/46184/386194.aspx#386194

Especially since I live outside the U.S, Canada and the U.K., it has been more affordable for me to start using Logos, I save on the postage.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.