Bible comparisons

I recently purchased a new bible, the NABRE copyright 2011, from St. Benedict Press. When I compare the readings for the day with those found on the USCCB website the text are not the same.

For example on the USCCB for todays reading comes from DT 26:16-19

““This day the LORD, your God, commands you to observe these statutes and decrees.
Be careful, then, to observe them with all your heart and with all your soul…”

My new NABRE for the same text reads

“This day the Lord, your God, is commanding you to observe these statues and ordinances. Be careful, then, to observe them with your whole heart and with your whole being”

Are there different version of the NABRE?

The Lectionary is different than the NABRE. What you posted from the Lectionary matches the 1970 NAB, Old Testament. The Pentateuch used in the 1970 NAB was originally translated in 1952, but there were some formal name revisions after than.

catholic-resources.org/Lectionary/1998USL.htm
adoremus.org/1112Bibles.html
catholic-resources.org/Lectionary/Differences-USA1970-1998.htm

The NAB 1970 version is what I have been using from since about1972, I would have thought the USCCB would have been up to date by now. :slight_smile:

It really does take a long time to get approved. It’s because there are different standards and approvals for the scriptures and for scripture used in the Sacred Liturgy.

The Latin Catholic Church uses the 2002 Lectionary which was submitted to the Vatican in 1992, just after the RNAB was approved (1986 New Testament with 1970 Old Testament). In 2012 the revision of the NABRE Old Testament began the translation process for the lectionary (based on the 2011 Old Testament). Maybe the Old Testament changes to the lectionary will be finished, submitted, Vatican approved, and in print by 2025?

The amended Conception Abbey Grail Psalter was approved for use by the Vatican in March 2010.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.