Bible deep fried in batter sold in public art gallery

Council chiefs behind the Bible defacing art exhibition have come under fire again after allowing a Bible, deep fat fried in batter, to be sold at one of its galleries.

Glasgow City Council received hundreds of complaints earlier this year when an exhibition at the city’s Gallery of Modern Art resulted in a Bible being defaced with obscene and offensive messages.

Now the Council faces criticism again after it emerged that a 200-year-old Bible, fried in “standard chip shop batter”, was being sold in an art auction at another of its taxpayer-funded galleries.

The artists behind the battered Bible, Craig Little and Blake Whitehead, defended their work claiming it was an “interesting” take on Glasgow life.

Read more: christian.org.uk/news/bible-deep-fried-in-batter-sold-in-public-art-gallery/

Let’s see them try that with the Quran or some other faith’s sacred work.

Regardless that is sooooo disrespectful and there is no excuse for it.:nope:

What's next, a (taxpayer funded) flag burning? That's basicly what this is.

What nitwit would bid on a deep fried bible as art? If they don't have anything better to spend their money on, I can sell them a really cool bridge or statue at half the price! :rotfl:

[quote="Catholic1954, post:4, topic:178981"]
What nitwit would bid on a deep fried bible as art? If they don't have anything better to spend their money on, I can sell them a really cool bridge or statue at half the price! :rotfl:

[/quote]

Wow, I feel bad for the auction winner! I'd like to see an art conservationist try to prevent the batter and oil from going rancid in a couple days time. At least Hirst's dead shark is in formaldehyde: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Hirst

Well, as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted. It's not in the book of Proverbs, but it should be ;)

[quote="lemonbeam, post:1, topic:178981"]
Read more: christian.org.uk/news/bible-deep-fried-in-batter-sold-in-public-art-gallery/

[/quote]

Creative. :rolleyes: Any moron can deface something others hold valuable. The interesting thing is that the Word of God is more than printing on a page. God's Word lives where no man can ever deface it.

[quote="Timbothefiveth, post:3, topic:178981"]
What's next, a (taxpayer funded) flag burning? That's basicly what this is.

[/quote]

Messing with the Bible is wayyy more serious than messing with some flag. I mean countries come and go... not exactly things to throw our eternal souls behind:blush:

I'd like to hear the artist explain his work. What statement is the artist trying to make. I'd like to hear that before I judged.

It's called free publicity. As in, "Aren't you the chap who...?"

Peace,
Ed

“The Bible & the batter are two quintessentially Glaswegian things”, claimed the duo known as Littlewhitehead.

“Being Glaswegian artists, we thought it would be an interesting way to work”. they added.

Littlewhitehead indeed. :ehh:

Oh, gosh, a priori, that is so true. I love that, thanks! :thumbsup: Especially that God’s Word lives where no man can ever deface it.

And, as I understand it, that means it’s more than the batter, right? I’m getting angry & facetious again, but I am going to try & remember a priori’s attitude.

“God’s Word lives where no man can ever deface it.” “God’s Word lives where no man can ever deface it.” “God’s Word lives where no man can ever deface it.” “God’s Word lives where no man can ever deface it.” …

This is just another example of how stupid modern “art” has become. I really don’t know what’s more foolish; modern “art” itself or the fact that people actually consider it to be art.

Why can't we just stick to deep fried oreos being shocking enough!

[quote="EmperorNapoleon, post:12, topic:178981"]
This is just another example of how stupid modern "art" has become. I really don't know what's more foolish; modern "art" itself or the fact that people actually consider it to be art.

[/quote]

Completly agreed. Why not go and paint a landscape, or something beautiful like that. I wonder sometimes about the world we live in. :shrug:

Modern art, or fine art, is a quasi-religious enterprise. Their priests are called “art critics.” They, and they alone, decide what is, and what is not, “important” art. They then convince others of their claims. Their places of worship are called “art galleries.” To those outside of the circle of initiates, a blob of paint on a canvas or deep fried Bible are meaningless or blasphemous as the case may be. To the initiated, they are cause for complex discussions. However, in common with commercial art, no sales and the artist in question just fades from view.

Peace,
Ed

And the Bible used was 200 years old... Oh boy....

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.