Bible dictionary

Do any of you use a bible dicitonary? If so, how does it help. I also have a concordance and was wondering how others use it.
Merry Christmas and thank you,
Eli

I do 2 things. I look up the verse at biblos.com and select Greek interlinear by chapter. It shows the tense, gender, and number of the Greek word. Then I go to Blb.org and look up the verse in the KJV, there's a little box on the right to show Strong's Numbering. When you click on Strong's, it shows Thayer's Lexicon. That is the gold standard of Greek Lexicons. Blb uses Gesenius for OT.

It's free and it's fast.

I don't usually use one, but they could be of great help. The best one I have seen is Augustin Calmet's Dictionary of the Bible. Its online free in google books, but it would be much nicer if it was available in a format like the Catholic Encyclopedia on the New Advent site. I have thought about making that a project for the Aquinas Study Bible.

[quote="eli1118, post:1, topic:309643"]
Do any of you use a bible dicitonary? If so, how does it help. I also have a concordance and was wondering how others use it.
Merry Christmas and thank you,
Eli

[/quote]

Yes, there are some good Bible dictionaries around. These are additional tools for Bible study and it really helps you to get that extra knowledge and background of the many stories, passages, places and characters of the Bible which may not be explained adequately in the footnotes or commentaries. I like to read Bible dictionary, out of curiosity, and I find it is very interesting. After a while you may not use it that often but I highly recommend it for you if you do not already have one.

Concordance is another tool that make finding verses of the Bible easy. But you can always go online for them too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.