Bible discovered in rubble of East Harlem church destroyed in New York explosion

Rescue workers searching through the rubble left by the devastating New York apartment building explosion have come across an historic, decades-old Bible miraculously intact at the heart of the wreckage.

The suspected gas leak brought down two large apartment blocks in East Harlem on Wednesday, destroying the Spanish Christian Church and killing eight people, including five members of the church’s congregation.

By Friday around half of the rubble was yet to be cleared away, but there was a pause in the clean-up operation after emergency workers pulled out a large, water-damaged Bible.

More…
independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/god-protected-it-historic-bible-survives-devastating-east-harlem-explosion-that-destroyed-two-new-york-apartment-buildings-9197616.html

“Last eve I paused beside the blacksmith’s door,
And heard the anvil ring the vesper chime;
Then looking in, I saw upon the floor,
Old hammers, worn with beating years of time.

“‘How many anvils have you had,’ said I,
‘To wear and batter all these hammers so?’
‘Just one,’ said he, and then with twinkling eye,
‘The anvil wears the hammers out, you know.’

“And so, I thought, the Anvil of God’s Word
For ages skeptic blows have beat upon;
Yet, though the noise of falling blows was heard,
The Anvil is unharmed, the hammers gone.”

—Attributed to John Clifford

:smiley:

Grace abounds all the more…
Mary.

What exactly is the implication here? God protected a book but let 8 people die in an explosion? And it’s not even a rare book. The information in the bible is available everywhere. You can read it for free online.

because it’s a reminder that the Word of God endures forever; people live and die as we
know.

Mary.

Praying for the repose of the souls of those who died & praying for those who are now homeless.

Maybe to remind people to pray for others? :gopray:

God wanted to remind us that his words endure forever, so to illustrate this, he allowed 8 people to die in an explosion and spared an old bible?

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that God caused the explosion and deaths of 8 people just to save a Bible. That does not mean that people can’t get some comfort out of the preservation of the Bible.

Well, everyone is going to die. Do you think it’s God’s fault that this explosion happened.
Is that your view…?

Mary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.