Bible Formation

OK. I don’t mean to be redudant here, because I’m sure this has been asked several times. But I am having difficulty via the Search function in finding my answer. And, I think I’ve asked two questions in the AAA forum, which have never been answered at least I think.

So here goes, when, where, and how was the first bible formed? I’ve read some external resources like newadvent.org’s encyclopedia on the Bible. But I couldn’t find my answer. I also thought it might have been formed at the Council of Nicene, but still found no conclusive text saying that. Then, I read here in the forums it was done at Carthage 397 A.D.

Again, if someone can give me a credible link that shows the when, where, why, and how was the first bible formed and the who and, if you would be so kind to even give the answers here followed by reference, I would be very very thankful.

Try this link:

Jimmy Akin’s article on the formation of the Bible. It explains why the 7 deuterocanonical books are included in the Catholic versions, while the Protestants removed them. It also gives some information on the thoughts of the early Church Fathers on the subject.

Thanks Catholicmessage. I’ll check out the link. I’ve read a little on the addition of text in the Catholic version, but right now, I’m more interested in the formation of the first version of the bible, when whoever decided to take the text of the OT and NT and organize them into one book.

St. Jerome did the first translation of the Bible from the original languages into Latin, for use in the liturgy.

You also have to keep in mind that there were no printing presses in the 4th century. Every copy of the Sacred Scriptures had to be hand written, so a complete copy of the Bible took many years to complete and lots of money to purchase.

As I’m still in middle of reading, I’m understanding that Septuagint was the scriptures that Jesus and the apostles used to evangelize the world. At that time, around 90 A.D., the Jewish people defined what they believed was holy scripture and that did not include some of the books in the Septuagint. This is getting good :smiley:

The reason the Jewish leaders left out some books while the Church included them is because they were using different criteria for their canon from that of the Church. It’s really that simple. Therefore, the differing Jewish canon tells us nothing whatsoever about the legitimacy of the canon of Scripture as compiled by the Church.

Not quite, you might want to check out:
catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0409fea4.asp
catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0409fea4sb.asp

ANCIENT VERSIONS IN OTHER LANGUAGES

The Septuagint Version (285 BC) – This was a translation of the Old Testament Hebrew Scriptures into Greek. Probably done in Alexandria.

**The Samaritan Pentateuch BC?) **– A copy of the Hebrew text done in Samaritan characters.

The Peschito or Syriac (1st or 2nd Century AD) – A common language translation of the entire Bible used in parts of Syria.

The Codex Sinia us(330 AD) – A manuscript that contained the Greek Bible. It was purchased from Russia in 1933 by Great Britain and is now housed in the British Museum.

The Codex Vatican us (340 AD) – this manuscript is currently housed in the Vatican library in Rome. It originally contained the whole Bible, but parts have been lost.

The Vulgate (400 AD) – A Roman Catholic scholar in Bethlehem by the name of Jerome translated the entire Bible into Latin. This Bible became the standard in the Catholic church for well over 1,000 years.

The Codex Alexandrinus (425 AD) – This Bible is another Green translation. It is currently housed in the British museum, complete except 40 leaves.

laurelstreetchurchofchrist.com/bibleorigin.htm

That fits my understanding. The Council of Nicene determined what would be approved. About 340AD the approved list was compiled (in Rome I think) yet it was several years before the work was officially acknowledged some time ~ 375 AD. The problem is some parts of the bible have existed for thousands of years.

Wow. I just learned a great deal today. Thank you for all your references. Praise God. This thread would be useful for anyone comparing the Catholic Bible vs. the Protestant Bible(s).

My friend, there have been many “Catholic Liks” offered to you concerning the “Formation of the Bible”.
Are you satisfied?
If yes, the subject is closed; otherwise please define exactly what is your criteria of a “credible link” - and participants may try to help.

Happy Easter.

Hell friend richardeekw, this thread can be closed as far as I’m concerned. I believe my last post expresses my satisfaction. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.