Bible in One Year app....Opinions?

So I was looking at the Bible in One Year app. It looks intriguing. It is by Nicky Gumbel who does the Alpha program. There is a Catholic Alpha too which I’m doing that recommends this. Anybody have any experience with this app. Does anybody have any opinions.

Just a note…If people have concerns about Alpha, those comments are fine as long as they are relevant to the app or suggesting a different app. If you simply having concerns about Alpha, I’d please ask you to start a different thread.

A few questions…

1. Do you actually read the entire Bible, or does it just give highlights?

2. What did people think of the commentary?

3. What did people think of the way scripture was presented?

1 Like

I dont know anything about this specific app, but I use the Bible app (made by YouVersion). I really couldnt ask for more than it gives. it have about every bible translation you can think of, you can highlight passages in like 8 different colors for various purposes, you can attached typed in comments to verses if you want, you can copy verses to post other places very easily or just share them directly so social media if thats your thing, and there are tons of bible study and other reading plans you can search and do, and that one year bible reading plan is one of them, which im in the middle of right now. The app also can give you a pop up notification with daily verses if you want it to, and you can search up other friends that have the app and invite them to join a reading plan if youre in a study group. its honestly a great app I think Ive been using it for like 5 years at this point.

1 Like

If it’s not a Catholic app it will not include the Deuterocanical books in the daily readings.

2 Likes

Reading the entire text of the Bible, just for the sake of reading the entire text, isn’t terribly helpful. More productive is the attempt to begin to understand the context and meaning of the Scriptural texts. A page-by-page, chapter-by-chapter, book-by-book approach doesn’t accomplish that goal.

I’m partial to the approach that Jeff Cavins uses in his “Great Adventure” Bible study. It attempts to introduce folks to the Bible by presenting the narrative books, such that the reader doesn’t merely read, but actually begins to understand the texts of Scripture.

4 Likes

While I totally hear what you’re saying, and I even agree for the most part, it feels like if I don’t read everything I’ll miss something…even in the old testament. For example, I just love the book of Job. I think all of it should be read, and not just the highlights.

One of the reasons I like CAF is it can sometimes be a Bible study of many strange, hard to understand, and overlooked parts of the Bible. There can sometimes be a lot of wisdom in these overlooked parts of the Bible.

1 Like

Agreed. When we read cover to cover, we tend to glimpse over the nuances. Though it can always later be dissected and brought forth from Thou memory (if you have one).

1 Like

If you have a bible and a book mark you don’t need any special program, book, or application to read your way through the bible.

And a one year limit is problematic…it causes one to rush to meet a schedule rather than to take the time to allow the message of scripture to resonate in your heart.

Read at your leisure, and savor the word. A one year plan may work for some, but for many, it lasts about a week, and when the schedule is busted, they give up feeling guilty, or that doubling up to make up for a missed day (or especially missed days) makes it a pain rather than a joy.

Good luck!

1 Like

I much prefer my preferred Translations - And Yes, in Book Form

I suggest, yes, Prayerfully Reading, Starting with Matthew.

1 Like

Of course it should. Choose your approach carefully, though:

• Jonah takes place prior to the Assyrian attack on Israel; if you read the Bible in page order, you’ll not see it in that context.
  • The prophecies of the major and minor prophets are located, chronologically, within the historical books, but the prophets show up later on in their own section of the OT. There’s something to be said for reading them in the context of the appropriate historical book.
  • Reading the minutiae of the Mosaic Law, in Leviticus, and leaving the story on hold… well, many have started their “Bible-in-a-year” just to be stopped cold in Leviticus.

As long as you’re sufficiently versed in the cultures and events of the ancient near east. Otherwise, you’ll completely miss what’s happening in the narratives!

3 Likes

Yes…Leviticus…I’ve tried doing that and stopped reading.

Which is why many suggest starting with Matthew and progressing through the New Testament

For reason that the Old Testament is far-better Understood in the Light of Jesus/New Testament

In which case then, after say Genesis and Exodus -
one might want to jump to Psalms and Prophets and Wisdom books

1 Like

The poster was speaking of bible reading not bible study.

1 Like

One can always use the “narrative book” approach to Bible reading… :wink:

1 Like

Found this site for a chronological ordering of the text of the Catholic bible (in a year, but obviously one can pace oneself. I haven’t inspected it but sounds pretty neat.

Leviticus I loved. Genealogies on the other hand…or say when it lists offerings made for each tribe.

1 Like

Personally I wouldn’t bother with an app. You can easily read the Bible in a year all on your own. I’ve read through it in it’s entirety at least once a year for at least a decade now. I read 3 chapters a day of the OT, usually a Psalm in the AM and PM, and the NT at a chapter or two a day. Takes 30 minutes or so per day and is quite enjoyable.

I read through the OT from Genesis to the end\2 Maccabees. The NT I tend to read a Gospel, then letters, another Gospel etc. getting through it 2-3 times per year at least.

1 Like

Why not just open up a Bible and read from it every day?
There is no need for another app.

Do you have plan for what you read when you open it up? That is what I’m looking for here.

1 Like

Depends on what you’re hoping to get from the reading.

Are you just looking for spiritual reflection? Lectio Divina – which sounds like what you’re suggesting – accomplishes exactly this purpose.

Are you hoping to understand the ‘story’ of the Bible? Randomly chosen passages (or even a straight-through reading) aren’t going to be as productive for you.

1 Like

The Bible is lengthy. Parts of it read quickly, while other parts, no so much. Sometimes, I like to read parts of what I have read over again, to better appreciate and understand.

I have had many years of Bible study but one day realized I had never sat down and just read the Bible for the sake of reading it. About two years ago, I asked myself how to be more like Jesus. One of the things he did was get up early and go off to pray. OUCH! I got up at 5:30 and I set aside fifteen minutes a day to read the Bible. I began with Proverbs because there are 31 chapters. Even though I had always gone to daily Mass, reading the Bible daily greatly deepened my faith life. I began spending 20 minutes on the Bible, then ten minutes on reflecting on the daily readings. I had to set the timer because I didn’t want to put it down (I still work). So, I began with the wisdom books, then to prophets, now I am on the historical books. I choose to begin with the OT because I felt I wasn’t familiar enough with them.

I prefer my tattered NAB, with all its highlights and margin notes. I do use the Laudate app. and Google to look things up that I don’t understand.

Good luck and God bless.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.