Bible out of date?

With regards to women priests (yes I know this subject has been beaten to death here), my “Progressive” Catholic friend said that the Bible was written a long time ago and the traditions were very sexist then and out of date to modern society.

How do I refute that, outside of asking her if she thinks Christ was a sexist? She only said Christ was following the norm of those times and now we must change to adapt to modern times.

Jesus did many things outside of the norm and taught the Truth. If he had wanted woman priests, he would have made them.

[quote=josephdavid]With regards to women priests (yes I know this subject has been beaten to death here), my “Progressive” Catholic friend said that the Bible was written a long time ago and the traditions were very sexist then and out of date to modern society.

How do I refute that, outside of asking her if she thinks Christ was a sexist? She only said Christ was following the norm of those times and now we must change to adapt to modern times.
[/quote]

Why not ask her if she thinks Christ was being sexist? It might shock her into actually asking why Jesus didn’t choose women for the priesthood, when he certainly knew that cultures would change down through the centuries.

The real answer has to do with the sin of Adam. Briefly, since Adam was ultimately responsible for sin entering the world, it falls on men to offer up the sacrifice that negates that sin. Women aren’t expected to offer Adam’s sacrifice–we have enough on our plates as it is! :wink:

How could the Bible possibly be out of date? That is ridiculous.

The Catholic Educator’s Resource has some great articles on this, you should take the time to read through at least one.

Yes, the Bible was written alongtimeago.

God existed, a long time ago.

Still does.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.