Bible Question

Hi, I have done a search on the site with no luck for what I am looking for, I am thinking I am not doing something correct and if this is addressed somewhere else could someone point me to the correct thread?

What i am requesting is which Bible would be recommended, Knox or Ignatius or another? I grew up using KJV but would like a new Bible. I am also going to be attempting to learn Italian and Latin and will likely be getting the Bible in those languages as well to assist with my learning new languages.
I apologize if this is a duplicate request thread.
Thank you.

I can't think of any link to provide that recommends a specific translation, but here is one you can read about the various Catholic Bibles and then make your decision:

EWTN.COM-Bible Versions and Commentaries

Based on what I've seen, I'd say the most mentioned Bible translation here would be the RSV-CE. It has the beauty (and roots IMS) of the KJV you grew up with, but in modern English. I have the Ignatius New Testament and Psalms and love it. It really is like reading a love letter from God.

:tiphat:

I don't know anything about the Knox or Ignatius Bibles.

As for a Latin translation, this site has the Latin Vulgate. I've never used it before (I don't know Latin), but I hear it's good.

That site also has the Douay-Rheims translation. I know you didn't ask about it, but I really like it. A few things to mention about it:
- some of the names are spelled differently (e.g. "Noe" instead of "Noah", "Elias" instead of "Elijah", etc.)
- the psalms are in a different order
- the language is archaic, which usually isn't a problem. However, I am new to reading the Bible so sometimes it is confusing for me, in which case I just double check it against a different translation to make sure I read it properly. The most confusing thing about it is that quotation marks are never used, so it's sometimes hard for me to tell when a quotation ends.

Thank you very much for the information and the links, very helpful!

Another Latin Vulgate online with Douay-Rhimes side-by-side rather than interlinear.

But really, you should read it in Old English: archive.org/stream/dahalgangodspelo00thor#page/n5/mode/2up :smiley:

[quote="Scottgun, post:5, topic:321962"]
Another Latin Vulgate online with Douay-Rhimes side-by-side rather than interlinear.

But really, you should read it in Old English: archive.org/stream/dahalgangodspelo00thor#page/n5/mode/2up :D

[/quote]

:D

Thou art naughty!

I've been carrying around my King James a lot more since it is so widely respected among the Baptists (though the more liberal ones seem to prefer the NIV). The Presbyterians like the ESV.

As for Catholic Bibles, I read primarily out of the RSV-2CE. It does have liberal footnotes, which are often downplayed and should still viewed with caution.

[quote="QNDNNDQDCE, post:7, topic:321962"]

As for Catholic Bibles, I read primarily out of the RSV-2CE. It does have liberal footnotes, which are often downplayed and should still viewed with caution.

[/quote]

Can't be worse than the ones in the NAB can they? :)

=Danno8;10590080]Hi, I have done a search on the site with no luck for what I am looking for, I am thinking I am not doing something correct and if this is addressed somewhere else could someone point me to the correct thread?

What i am requesting is which Bible would be recommended, Knox or Ignatius or another? I grew up using KJV but would like a new Bible. I am also going to be attempting to learn Italian and Latin and will likely be getting the Bible in those languages as well to assist with my learning new languages.
Thank you.

The New [revided] American Bible is what is used at Mass

The Latin Bible is the Latin Vulgate

Look here: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=10520831#post10520831 ... and follow the link!
All of those are in Logos, except for the Jerusalem Bible, Catholic Public Domain Version, J.B. Phillips, the 3rd Edition of Good News Translation, Comprehensive New Testament and NETS. NETS and Comprehensive New Testament are in Accordance, the URL to the notes of the latter is: accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Comprehensive+Crossrefs.

Logos is freeware. If anyone is interested in buying a Logos base-package, (the Catholic packages are at: logos.com/verbum), then PM me and I'll give the name of a representative:

[quote="Danno8, post:1, topic:321962"]
Hi, I have done a search on the site with no luck for what I am looking for, I am thinking I am not doing something correct and if this is addressed somewhere else could someone point me to the correct thread?

[/quote]

The best Latin Edition is: Biblia Sacra iuxta vulgatum versionem. 5th edition. Edited by Robert Weber, Roger Gryson et al. Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 2007. To get it in Logos, go to: community.logos.com/forums/p/18568/424963.aspx#424963, quote and post. (Registration on the forum is free.)

The knowledge and advice here is fantastic. I appreciate all the responses and the time everyone has taken to reply!

I think the RSV-CE 2nd ed from Ignatius is probably the best modern translation. However, I still like the old Douay Rheims.

If you want something that is easy to use which gives side by side, you can use this site:

credobiblestudy.com/

Or download the windows desktop app here which has more content:

azoic.com/

[quote="Danno8, post:1, topic:321962"]

Thank you.

[/quote]

[quote="Scottgun, post:5, topic:321962"]

But really, you should read it in Old English: archive.org/stream/dahalgangodspelo00thor#page/n5/mode/2up :D

[/quote]

The Old English doesn't use quotation marks either, making it difficult to read at times. :nerd:

You can read the Knox, RSV-CE, NRSV-CE, and Douay-Rheims Catholic Bibles on BibleGateway.com to see which you like. You can read the NAB on the USCCB website (USCCB.org). There are also places online where you can read the Jerusalem Bible and New Jerusalem Bible.

Update. First thank you everyone for your recommendations and comments. I have ordered the Ignatius Bible (out of stock in my area) and should arrive this week. I have also downloaded Douay Rheims (actually found a catholic app that has that and a bunch of other useful items) for my iPad.
The advice on this forum and the helpful nature of everyone is appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.