Bible Study on Matthew 16

Hey guys, I am leading a Bible study on Matthew 16 tomorrow night, and was wondering if you guys had a few discussion questions that I could use. Thanks for your help!

What are the Gates of Hell and what does it mean that they will never prevail?

What does Jesus mean by, “Get behind me Satan”?

Why does Jesus call Simon, “Son of Jonah” when the Gospel of John repeatedly calls Simon, “Son of John”? John is NOT the transliteration of the Hebrew Jonah. They are entirely not the same name. I’ll give you a hint… notice that Jesus references Jonah earlier in the chapter and a total of roughly 5 times over the previous 3 or 4 chapters.

Try Haydock’s Catholic Bible Commentary a a start; haydock1859.tripod.com/id34.html

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I was just reading the Douay-Rheims version of the Bible, and it says “Simon Bar-Jona”. Everywhere I look it translates Jonah/Jona directly to John. Can you give me evidence against this?

I’ll see what I can do, but just look up the entomology of both words. They are different. I use to think that John was the Greek of Jonah, but it is not.

There was a thread that I started 6 months ago on that same subject. I’ll see if I can find it.

[size=3]Matthew 7:24-29
24 “Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.
(Peter, i.e., The Catholic Church[/size] ,Matthew 16:18 And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”**)

[size=3]25 The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock. *
(Peter and *Apostolic succession all the way to our current Pope Benedict XVI)

26 And everyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand. *
(Protestantism)*

27 The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house. And it collapsed and was completely ruined.”
(33,000 different denominations)

28 When Jesus finished these words, the crowds were astonished at his teaching, 29 for he taught them as one having authority, and not as their scribes*. *
*(And Jesus gave this Infallibility to Peter and his successors and "The Gates of Hell will not prevail against it)

• [/size]

Here are the questions I used:
[LIST]
*]The Pharisees and Sadduccees demand a sign from heaven. What signs has Jesus already provided? What sign does he say is yet to come? (verses 1-4)
*]What is Jesus warning the disciples about in verses 5-12? What is his warning to us today?
*]What is the significance of the keys to the kingdom? See Isaiah 22:15-25, 2 Samuel 7:4-17; Genesis 41:39-43, and Esther 3:1-2
*]How are Peter and Abraham similar? See Genesis 14-19; Hebrews 11:8; Genesis 12:1-3; Genesis 17:5; Isaiah 51:1-2 and Genesis 22:17.
*]What does Peter’s response tell us about his understanding of the nature of Jesus’ Messiahship (verses 21-23)?
*]How do the conditions of discipleship in verses 24-28 apply to you/us?
[/LIST]
I actually have questions for each chapter in a Word document. Be happy to email to you, if you want. Send me a private message with your email and I’ll send it to you.

This is not a mistake, but a “sign”. Jesus says he will only give them the sign of Jonah. He is comparing himself to Jonah. So Simon is Son of Jonah, Jonah the prophet, a type of Christ. May mean that Jesus views Peter as his spiritual son. Jonah also means “dove”, so this could point to the relationship between Peter and the Holy Spirit. These ideas came from a commentary in the Ignatius Study Bible. Great stuff in there!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.