Bible study tools?

I am a Roman Catholic (beginner/have just started to discover my faith) and I have decided to buy a “Bible atlas” (along with few other study tools) to help me study the Scripture. However ,I don’t know which would be the best… Could anyone please help? I’m wondering if the author has to be Catholic? I have found two interesting atlases, but the authors are not Catholic and so I’m thinking that maybe any additional information contained in these books would not be from a Catholic perspective. I may be wrong. What do you guys think?
Do you have any recommendations regarding these or other atlases and/or additional bible study (especially the Old Testament) resources? Here are two titles I have found.

Holman Bible Atlas: A Complete Guide to the Expansive Geography of Biblical History by Thomas V. Brisco

Rose Then and Now Bible Map Atlas with Biblical Backgrounds and Culture by Paul H. Wright

Also, Does anyone know this www.y-jesus.com website ? Is this site Roman Catholic/reliable?

Thank You and God Bless You All
Michalina

The USCCB gives these approved translations…
usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/index.cfm

and here is their online (NABRE)
usccb.org/bible/index.cfm

Peace!!!

Michalina,

No, it is not a Catholic site. It’s a service of ‘Online Jesus Ministries’. Their statement of beliefs comes from the ‘Campus Crusade for Christ,’ which begins “[t]he sole basis of our beliefs is the Bible, God’s infallible written Word, the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments.”

In other words, they don’t use a Catholic Bible, and they don’t recognize the Catholic Church as being the means through which Christ’s grace comes to the world.

I haven’t seen anything anti-Catholic there, but unless you already know your faith very well, I wouldn’t recommend using their materials – after all, you’d never know when they were teaching something that conflicts with the teachings of the Catholic Church, right?

I would recommend ‘The Didache Bible’ (comes in the RSV-2CE or NABRE translation). It includes 24 color maps (shows the travels of the patriarchs, Exodus and Jesus, etc.). It also has over 100 apologetic pages explaining our Catholic faith, a glossary, Subjects and biblical names. And all the biblical notes are very theological and based upon the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Another good resource is the ‘Catholic Bible Dictionary’ by Scott Hahn.

Could someone please recommend which -Bible Atlas- is better for a complete novice.(I am a Roman Catholic). I’m looking for a book that has more then maps, and is Not contrary to Catholic teaching.

I also want to be sure to avoid books, including Bible atlases that deal with the so called " young earth" nonsense.

Here are the links to the Bible atlases I’ve found:

Holman Bible Atlas: A Complete Guide to the Expansive Geography of Biblical History by Thomas V. Brisco
amazon.com/Holman-Bible-Atlas-Expansive-Geography/dp/0805497609/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

and the other one:

Rose Then and Now Bible Map Atlas with Biblical Backgrounds and Culture.
amazon.com/Bible-Atlas-Biblical-Backgrounds-Culture/dp/159636534X/ref=pd_sim_14_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DSDPXX6P7CVZC9Q9PYC

Thank You
Michalina

I recommend the atlas from Catholic Book Publishing.

Catholic Book publishing produces Church-approved publications, such as Missals, and they are the official publishers of certain official liturgical texts for the Catholic Church in the U.S., such as the Liturgy of the Hours. When it comes to durable large-print editions of prayer books and especially the official NABRE Catholic Bible, their St. Jospeh giant print editions can’t be beat.

The St. Joseph Atlas of the Bible is available from Catholic Book Publsihing in both a full volume and a version that includes basically only the maps.

Go to catholicbookpublishing.com and search for “atlas” on its homepage.

Just adding to the already good suggestions.

ascensionpress.com/t/category/books-and-pamphlets/bibles-catechism
Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament, Leather
The above is ONLY THE NEW TESTAMENT, but is great Catholic commentary. You may be able to find a large print edition at ignatius press.

catholiccompany.com/ignatius-bible-rsv-second-catholic-edition-i7805/?sli=1011249
The Ignatius Bible - RSV is both Old and new Testament.

You may want a soft cover as it is easier to flip through, but that is a preference.

Maps and commentary suggestions

ascensionpress.com/t/category/study-programs/catholic-bible-study/bible-study-resources
Bible Study Resource Bundle
This invaluable resource bundle includes Vols. 1 & 2 of The Bible Thumper apologetics tools, Then and Now Bible Maps, and The Great Adventure Color-Coded Catholic Bible Indexing Tabs.

shop.catholic.com/topic-tabs-1.html
Topic Tabs
Topic Tabs are the perfect way to mark your favorite Bible verses and be prepared for discussions with Fundamentalists.

Commentary to go with Bible if your interested.
At Ascension Press you can find the Bible Timeline Series which would be great. If you order the kit I think the Maps come with it.

ignatius.com/Products/TKCJ-P/to-know-christ-jesus.aspx
To Know Christ Jesus by Frank Sheed.

The Life of Christ by Ferdinand Pratt (out of print)

The Navarre Bible commentaries are packed with early church fathers.

Church Teaching
Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Van Ott

Manners and Customs in the Bible by Victor H. Matthews continues to be an excellent resource for me.

books.google.com/books/content?id=KwwqGQAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&imgtk=AFLRE71tuIi_xvc-jE9HSRQyuYI6Xb0GLDjEZEozDITn3ZSWElIJjqXjxzszklum4_ztJjeyqCa40GFhLpYsKXm57AqrLY8H97c7mvO8dQeSKfJDkJF19Yo4ByxAYDRDx25YXNZeoVQH

-Tim-

Can’t go wrong with this bible, especially for a. I have 40 Catholic bibles anb this is an awesome publication.

Thank you guys for your recommendations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.