Bible study with Protestant what chapters and verses should I use

A Protestant sucked me in the bible study saying things like why are you being hard hearted to bible study I wasn’t being hard hearted I just didn’t want to give him an opportunity to take the sacred scripture out of context so he agreed to use a Catholic bible an even let me choose what we read I don’t want to make it easy for him to say this means that and that means this so what chapters should I use

I would suggest you begin with

or James

I think a good way to begin a Bible study with this friend of yours would be to look at the Sacred Scriptures and see if the Bible alone is taught in the Bible (I’m assuming that he is a Bible alone guy). Once he understands that the Bible does not teach Bible alone then you will be able to move on to other topics in Scripture in light of the Tradition.

If not you can find good Catholic Bible studies at the Institute of Catholic Culture. It’s free to join and you have 800 plus archived videos from quite a number of Catholic theologians, apologists, priests and bishops at your disposal. Topics range from Mary and the saints, Catholic theology and philosophy, history, the arts, apologetics, Bible studies, prayer and a whole lot more.

That’s my opinion.

ZP

If you want to get right to the debate, as your coercive Protestant “friend” wishes, start with the Bread of Life Discourse in the sixth chapter of John.

My other thought is simply, why bother in the first place. You know this is going to be a contentious argument foisted on you by someone who wants to humiliate you and spit on all the Catholic church holds and teaches. There is nothing to be gained in this situation, just politely and charitable decline. Otherwise you are in for an uncomfortable session at best. This protestant has nothing but venom on his mind and in his heart. Like Nancy Reagan said, Just say no.

Edited to say. Unless you are very well versed in the Scriptures, this isn’t a great idea. Another suggestion is get a hold of Karl Keating’s book, "Catholicism and Fundamentalism. The Attack on “Romanism” by “Bible Christians”. It is a great reference for the attacks you will encounter. Take it with you.

And, don’t expect to “win” any argument. In fact, you will be overwhelmed and really not given a chance to properly respond. If this Protestant is Mainline (i.e. Presbyterian, Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopalian) you might have a chance. If he/she is Pentecostal, you’re in for an unpleasant experience. Good luck.

Rosie, I added an edit concerning a book by Karl Keating. Don’t know if you caught that. It is a great source for Catholic to refute attacks on the Pope, Mary, Infant Baptism, etc. etc.

What’s it called

It is called, "Catholicism and Fundamentalism. The Attack on “Romanism” by “Bible Christians”.
[/quote]

What changed my mind as a Protestant was discussing with thoughtful Catholics here at this forum St. John, chapter 6, especially Jesus’ words:

“He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

(John 6:54)

When I tried to argue eating flesh and drinking blood was a metaphor for believing, they patiently asked me to provide scripture to demonstrate my theory. The only passages I could find used eating flesh and drinking blood not as metaphors for believing but instead for killing someone. Of course, Jesus didn’t mean this:

“Whoever [kills me] has eternal life.”

So, the only logical inference I could make is that Jesus was speaking of the Eucharist, and like Mother Teresa said, “Once you see truth, you can’t unsee it!”

There are plenty of parts of the Bible where Catholics and Protestants are in agreement with. Picking a part where you can expect to have a big argument is no way to build your friendship with people.

That was so lovely to read thanks for sharing x

Hi so we’re currently doing that chapter via Facebook messenger and it’s turned into a debate and I don’t know what to say this is what he said to me:

They walked away because they didn’t understand his words. God is spirit. To eat is to eat from his word. To feed on it. Or unless your suggesting cannibalism :smirk:

Sorry for the delay. Sounds like you’re off to a good start!

So, maybe say: “Jesus says in verse 54, ‘Whoever eats my flesh…’ Are you thinking the words, ‘my flesh’ are a metaphor for, ‘the Bible’?”

If he says that is what he means, then ask him to let scripture interpret scripture and show you another verse where human flesh is an idiom for Bible. (I myself have spent much time looking for such a Biblical passage but was unable to find it.)

Just keep asking simple questions like that. Tell him you’re not trying to argue, but you sincerely want to understand how what he says is what Jesus really meant. Right?

If he asks something you can’t answer, just say, “Good question! Let me do some research and get back to you soon.” Then post a discussion topic at this forum to ask for advice.

Let me know if there’s anything else I might do to help. :slight_smile:

But what shall I say about the cannibalism part?

So, as for canibalism, you might say that’s a good explanation as to why they rejected what Christ was saying. They thought he was telling them to become canibals, but he was instead speaking of the Eucharist.

He is not interested in dialogue is my guess.

Cannibalism is eating of the dead. Christ is not dead.

Best to simply pray that God sends someone along who can open his eyes.

That’s what Christ meant when he held up the bread at the last supper and said, “Take this and eat it. This is my body.” I mean, when I was a Protestant, I thought he meant, “This is [a symbol of] my body.” But John 6:54 tells me he really meant, “This is my [actual] body.”

I like how St. Augustin put it: “Christ held his own body in his hands when he said, ‘This is my body.’”

Focus on these quotes at

Literal Bible Passages

But, i suggest that you refuse to join him in a Bible study because he has an agenda. It is hard to beat a person in his own argument since he is already prepared to distort the truth (unknowingly).

John

@TheLittleLady
@JohnR77

Yeah, yeah! You’re probably right about the Protestant’s intentions, but I had similar intentions years ago when I debated here. It was patient and kind Catholics like Rosie11 who showed me how what Catholics believe just might be true. :slight_smile:

Wow that answer just blew my mind :scream: I’m in utter and complete shock as to why I didn’t think of that myself omg omg omg

First of all - love the name. Second - full disclosure - I’m a Protestant (Reformed flavor). Third, to the OP, I would say that if one feels that a Protestant - or anyone for that matter - is trying to bully you into a “Bible study” by accusing you of having a “hard heart”, it’s not a Bible study at all. Christians study the Bible together because wherever 2 or 3 are gathered in our King’s name, he promises to be there. Our study should be focused on Him first, and loving each other (our neighbors) second. Anything else reeks of pride. I am sorry that this Protestant is behaving this way and on behalf of all Protestants ask for your forgiveness. Now on to the topic at hand.

I’d be a bit careful with the idiomatic argument - or at least using it in a vacuum. In the Sermon on the Mount (Matt 5:30), Jesus said, “If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away…” As far as we know, all the disciples had both hands (and eyes), no? And besides, the theological argument that Protestants (especially Reformed Protestants) have with transubstantiation is around the concept of continual sacrifice. It’s a long story, but the way simple answer is that we try to hold John 6 in tension with Hebrews 10 (kairos and chronos time notwithstanding).

Having said that, I think we Protestants have completely thrown the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to liturgy in general and the Eucharist in particular. I mean, cheese and rice, we corporately confess our loyalty to the United States (which is a good thing) way more than we corporately profess our faith in Christ (you guys say the Nicene Creed at every Mass). We celebrate the Eucharist way to infrequently, and when we do, we don’t take it nearly seriously enough (as Paul directs us in 1 Corinthians).

But I digress. If I were a Catholic, I would tell a Protestant that I take the Lord’s Supper very, very seriously as directed by Christ himself and seconded St. Paul. I take Christ - my King, my Savior and my friend, at his word that, through the eyes of faith, he is actually physically present in the Eucharist. Every time I eat his body and drink his blood, I’m reminded of and sustained by the incredible sacrifice he made for me. By his grace and through the sacraments I come to know more and more who I am, and (more importantly) whose I am.

I’m a Reformed Protestant and will always be one. But I’m also a Reformed Protestant who is very, very thankful for and cognizant of the defense of orthodoxy that the Roman Catholic church has provided all of us for thousands of years. My continual hope and prayer is that one day, sooner rather than later, we can celebrate our shared love for our great King and Savior together over His table.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.