Bible Versions

What are some good Catholic Bible versions aside from the New American Bible.

At my youth Bible study I use The Catholic Youth Bible NRSV edition and I have difficulty reading it.

Any other good Catholic Bible versions.

If you're looking for 'readable' I would suggest the Jerusalem Bible. You can find readers editions for pretty cheap, but the full JB from 1966 has lots of study notes. However it is a thought for thought translation so will have some odd renderings of familiar passages. The NAB is supposedly written at a lower reading level than the NRSV so that may be a good choice too if you're having trouble with the nrsv. Some say the notes in the NAB are suspect though. The NRSV is a fairly literal translation which can be tougher to read.

Someone may suggest the Douay. Given what you said with trouble reading, I would caution against it due to a lot of archaic language and spellings. Its also very literal.

Ultimately finding a good translation for you can be a search. Find copies online or at the local library and spend some time with them to see what you think. 16 years ago Douay was my end all of translations but since I've warmed up to the RSV and JB anmeConfraternity as well and Douay has become more for devotional reading for me.

If you're having some difficulty with the NRSV then you might want to consider a version that's designed to be easier to read. The Catholic version of the New Living Translation will fit the bill.

Have a look at a couple of chapters....

Here's Genesis 1 in the New Living Translation...... biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis%201&version=NLT

And here is John 1 ..... biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john%201&version=NLT

God bless +

Michael

Both the New American Bible, and the newer New American Bible Revised Edition (2011)as well as the NRSV or NRSV Catholic Edition have been made using the oldest extant copies of texts in the original languages. Both are excellent.

I prefer the NRSV just slightly but the footnotes in the NAB are very helpful. However, for reasons of brevity (I think), they are sometime too limited.

The older NAB retained some wording for doctrinal reasons that has now been corrected and reads pretty much as the NRSV does.

For example,

Is 7:14 "Therefore the Lord himself will give you this sign: the **virgin shall be with child **and bear a son, and shall name him Immanual." (NAB)

Now,

Is:14 'Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign; the young woman, pregnant and about to bear a son, shall name him Emmanuel." (NABRE)

http://chirho.me/memes/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/314186_127272334089184_1114427336_n.jpg

[quote="adawgj, post:1, topic:332900"]

At my youth Bible study I use The Catholic Youth Bible NRSV edition and I have difficulty reading it.

[/quote]

'The Good News Bible (Catholic Edition)' might be what you are looking for. They are available on Amazon. This version is very readable.

[quote="april32010, post:5, topic:332900"]
http://chirho.me/memes/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/314186_127272334089184_1114427336_n.jpg

[/quote]

That was funny!

Yes, it’s actually quite good! There’s a new Edition of it in British, from 2004. The most recent Catholic Edition is from 1992:

[quote="adawgj, post:1, topic:332900"]

[/quote]

I'm currently reading The Ignatius Bible, which uses the RSV Second Catholic Edition translation. I think it is pretty good, although I also have a copy of the NAB revised edition that I will look at as well when a passage doesn't make sense to me. They have a study version of the New Testament of The Ignatius Bible as well. I haven't read it, but hear that it is good. It was done by Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch. See here for more info.

46 Mary said, “My heart praises the Lord;47 my soul is glad because of God my Savior,48 for he has remembered me, his lowly servant!
From now on all people will call me happy, Luke 1 GNB

46 And Mary said,‘My soul magnifies the Lord,
47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
48 for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed; Luke 1 NRSV

Have you looked at the Christian Community Bible? View online
bibleclaret.org/bibles/

Have you considered the CTS Bible?

It's like the English & Welsh lectionary; Original Jerusalem Texts with Grail Psalms. And unlike the original JB it doesn't have 'Yahweh' in the text (as requested by Benedict XVI for all new Bibles).

You can view sample pages too here:

ctsbooks.org/new-catholic-bible-flexi-bound-red-1

It has lots of good additions too such as maps and a lectionary index, index of readings for the Office of Readings as well as Liturgical and Historical introductions for each book.

They do it in all sorts of bindings and sizes too.

Hope it helps!

I only use the RSV-CE with commentary. I have a New American Bible. The NAB translation of the scripture verses is passable, but the commentary borders on heretical at times. An example is how in the NAB the Blessed Virgin Mary is conspicuously omitted from the commentary about the woman of Revelation 12 even though the woman of Revelation 12 was specifically referenced as Our Lady by Pope Pius XII in his infallible apostolic constitution Munificentissimus Deus (Defining the Dogma of the Assumption). I want to get a Navarre Bible since I heard it has an excellent commentary, but they are a little too expensive for me to afford.

Great choice too!:

[quote="SeminarianUK, post:11, topic:332900"]
Have you considered the CTS Bible?

It's like the English & Welsh lectionary; Original Jerusalem Texts with Grail Psalms. And unlike the original JB it doesn't have 'Yahweh' in the text (as requested by Benedict XVI for all new Bibles).

[/quote]

Sorry to hear that You can't afford it!! Maybe later?:

[quote="livingwordunity, post:12, topic:332900"]
I want to get a Navarre Bible since I heard it has an excellent commentary, but they are a little too expensive for me to afford.

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.