Bible

I would like to know how everyone feels about making pen or pencil marks in the Bible? My Baptist friend has her bible all marked up ,lines under verses, Check marks ,notes made beside & over verses. She claims her paster tells them to mark this ] for reference etc.

I told her I would never mark in my Bible cause it is a Holy Book, it defaces the holiness of the Bible . You can always have a notebook or paper to make notations.

Maybe I am wrong but all I can say is that’s the way I was raised!
How do you feel about it?

To me, I wouldn’t do the highlight to the Bible being used by Priest at the church, but for personal use, I highlight the verses myself. I don’t see anything wrong with it as long as I don’t draw and treat it like a regular notebook.

Nothing wrong with it at all, if you own the Bible in question.

I have two Bibles with wide margins that I have marked up a lot for use in teaching.

I have others that I don’t mark in because I want to keep them “fresh” for everyday reading.

It’s really up to each individual, IMHO.

If you decide to do it, though, I’d recommend getting one of those special pens (One company that makes them is call Pigma, I think) that has ink that won’t soak through the page, and doesn’t mess up the paper like a ballpoint does.

Also, bear in mind that if you mark up your daily readin’ Bible, you will probably come to a point a few years down the road where you will see some of your notes and say, “Why did I make a note about something that is so obvious?” (yes, that’s happened to me…)

I mark in mine; to me its only a paper book. The scriptures are in my heart and just like all other earthly goods it will stay behind when I die. :wink:

Margin notes:

Some scripture scholars believe that the doxology to the Lord’s prayer “For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory now and forever” could be a margin note…the earliest extanct bibles do not have it in the text. It is written as a margin note in one early extant bible. It also appears in the Lord’s prayer in the Didache [The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles].

Was the margin note in that early bible a notation by the copyiest of a passage that was left out in error?

Was the margin note an error by the copyiest who thought it should have been there because that was the way he heard it in the Celebration of the Eucharist [Holy Mass]?

We may never know…

The Christian Research Institute, an Evangelical ministry, has just published a Bible with REALLY wide margins so you can write all over it. I prefer to write out the texts that impress me in a notebook I keep so that my scriptural questions and insights are all in one book – and not on the pages of my Bible, where I want to come to the text fresh EVERY time I read it and not be drawn to my former marks.

That’s just me. I think most people underscore & put notes in the margin. No problem. It’s paper and ink. The WORD is not the words. If it helps you to make marks and notes, then that is the way you appropriate the Word. Fortunately, Bibles are cheap. Cheap enough, that is.

I have one Bible which is sort of a wrecked paperback and I write freely in it. My Ignatius hardcover, on the other hand, will never have any marks in it if it is up to me.

:slight_smile:

OK , looks like I’m the only one that thinks this way, I can see you’all 's point but I still feel the way I do , old fashioned maybe.
Thanks for your postings.

I have a leather cover copy of the Evidence Bible. I’m color coding the verses according to subject, adding cross references, and I have even taped portions of the NWT in it to show where the alterations were made. I underline the doctrine in black.

I like to use dry highlighters that are colour-coded for various topics in the Bible. I also write notes in the margins, particularly about things I learn in my Sunday school class. The colours and notes help me to remember important things that I have learned.

You aren’t alone. While I don’t believe it’s *wrong *to write in a Bible (or any other Book!) I cannot bring myself to do it. I cringe when pastors say, “Now, underline this part…” BAH! I have always had a strong respect for books and the Bible, being a Holy Book, even more so. You don’t write in them, color them, highlight them throw them on the floor, step on them, dog ear the pages, tear out pages(!), etc. They are for reading and learning from. IF people must write to learn. that’s what journals and blank books are for.

No worries. :thumbsup: it’s people like us who ensure that there will be some books that are preserved centuries from now for archaeologists to study us with. :smiley:

My English grandmother would have had a stroke if anybody wrote in the Bible. She wouldn’t allow it to be set down on the floor or to have anything else placed on top of it.

No, no, you’re not the only one! I noticed this trend in university though where a lot of my fellow students would read through their text and underline the parts they thought were significant. I saw a lot of this and I always wondered, especially when I saw people who had underlined half the texts they’d read.

I just think it’s a matter of what works for you. I like to memorize things and have a pretty good memory so I can store the significant parts in my head. Others want to go back and review, but I rarely do that.

When it comes to sacred writings, a lot of people have a “nice” one, without any marks, and a “Study” one that has the well worn verses clearly marked. In every conversation or book, there are points and principles that stick out.

I never mark up anything because, well, IMHO, it defaces them.

Underlining or not underlining is not so important.
What more important is how you get important parts of the Bible and put it into actions.

I don’t mark up my Bibles, but if you do, do it with reverence :smiley:

For those who “dont mark” post its and page markers are good and dont harm the ink. I use those too. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Excellent point!

I have a couple Bibles I use. One to study…making notes, underlining…marking cross references…etc.

The other…I do not mark in…like one of the above posters…I want a “fresh” page to read…without preconcieved ideas or insights that might influence the reading.

I do not see the book as “holy” in it’s pages…the holiness of scripture exists in hearing the “word of God” written upon my heart as I read it’s pages.

Any “holiness” I ascribe to it is emotional reverence…not inheirant “holiness”…inanimate objects aren’t…“holy” by their nature…a stone or a Bible hold the same 'holiness".

It’s not the object that is Holy, it’s the words inside. even then it’s not the physical printing on the page I’m talking about.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.