Bibles

The only copy of the bible i own is the New American Bible Revised Edition and i like that version because it is the one used in mass every Sunday. I am considering buying a Douay-Rheims Bible at our local catholic store. Is it worth getting? Also will it cost very much to buy one?

Just got a DR, I really like it, the old english is not difficult a some say. Get a haydock if you find one. The cost is typically under $100 so I guess its worth it. Got it as a gift though. :slight_smile:

The DRB is used in English missals for the traditional Latin mass. Since you already have the NAB, you can have both forms of the Roman Rite covered with its purchase.

Baronius Press has a version with the Latin and English side by side.
baroniuspress.com/category.php?wid=58&cid=1

Below is the Haydock version chock full of Church Father commentary.
amazon.com/gp/product/1622920589/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687782&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1885692110&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0CP7Q38G28CS8DSQY225

Check Amazon or Ebay for the one you eventually decide upon. Good deals there.

I bought a Douay-Rheims bible today and I like it a lot. It’s nice to have to accompany my New American Bible Revised edition. I like both versions but the Douay-Rheims version makes defending catholic positions easier. Especially in Luke 1:28-31

You can read the text of the Douay-Rheims Bible online, at websites such as www.drbo.org. I suggest you go there and give it a try online to see if you like how it reads. If you think you might like to get a Haydock Bible, which contains an earlier version of the Douay-Rheims Bible along with Catholic commentary compiled by Rev. Fr. George Haydock back in 1859, you can try it online here.

I use KJV only because it’s proved over 400 years of public scrutiny and is translated by the Brits, seeing it is their language, they are the experts. But what I wanted to mention is if you seek to use an old English translation, no matter the translation of old English, it may also be advisable to get and exhaustive copy of the OED. Which gives definition of words used as far back as record use in England which can be very different to how they are used today especially in the USA. Americans want to redefine everything, especially the English language to their own liking. For example the word “saw” back in the early 1600’s when the KJV was done, had nothing to do with seeing, it was used to for a saw as in a toothed cutting edge, or saw as in declare something. Which is how Shakespear used it. So when reading and God saw that it was good, in creation was it that God had seen (An American view of saw) or that He declared it was good (an Engilsh use)?

Yes, I’d also get a Knox bible and RSV-CE2. That should complete you collection of Catholic bibles for the foreseeable future.

Throw in a 1966 Jerusalem Bible, and then I think the collection would be complete. :wink:

Btw, I was at my local Barnes and Noble today and the had the white bonded leather First Communion Bible published for them by St Benedict Press on 50% off clearance (box says $20, so thus for $10).

I just recently bought the pocket-sized black flexible leather cover Douay-Rheims Bible for $29.97 on Amazon.com. I really wanted a pocket-sized Bible when I travel and have a version of the Bible I didn’t have (I have the NAB, NRSV-CE, and NJB) and this one was perfect.

Now, for some reason most of the the Douay-Rheims versions are pricey, even the standard size of my new DRB is about $55, and I’ve seen others that are upward to $100.

Overall, I really enjoy this DRB version I have by Baronius Press which includes three Papal Encyclicals concerning the Scripture from Popes Leo XIII, Benedict XV, and Pius XII, maps, images of major events through the Bible between the Old and New Testament, and historical indices.
You’ll have to brush up on some of the archaic words of course, but well worth it to read this rich text. The annotations (I’m not sure if done by Bishop Richard Challoner) are incredibly helpful in certain verse interpretation according to Catholic teaching, and the annotations also provide other background to help understand the text and contexts of the verses.

Anyways, sorry for sounding like I’m trying to sell Bibles :D, but if you’re looking for a rich and beautiful version of the Bible, then I highly recommend the Douay-Rheims version, it is well worth it to have.

I love my Baronius DR!:thumbsup::thumbsup: It is the closest you can get to reading the Latin of the Vulgate without learning the Latin. (My mom was a Latin teacher, so I learned Latin young!)
The first time I sat down with the DR & the Vulgate, I was blown away by how beautifully the DR renders the language of St Jerome.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.