Bibles

I have an NABRE that has footnotes at the bottom of each page, which I find more useful than having the notes all at the back. This Bible is an inexpensive paperback, and I’d like to get something a little more sturdy. Does anyone have a recommendation for a NABRE that has the footnotes on each page, but is a little sturdier?

I’m not sure, but Catholic “study” or “student” Bibles might have what you’re looking for.

Here’s an example:
Amazon - Catholic Study Bible (NABRE, hardcover)
except this one might be too thick and heavy, and may have too much extra information, like scholarly guides, essays, and sidebars which, though useful, may distract some readers from the biblical text, or prevent them from contemplating the text as the Spirit moves them.

I use a (paperback) “Student Bible for Catholics,” which is also NABRE and has footnotes on each page (and also cross-references to related Bible passages).

If you’re looking for a good study Bible, the Ignatius Press volumes are excellent. I have the New Testament, and I hope to get the OT as it’s released in hardback.

Based on what you say here, I HIGHLY recommend the new The Didache Bible - NABRE edition.

Like the original Didache Bible, this Bible has notes from the Catechism. But the NABRE edition also has the introductions and footnotes from the NABRE.

Info & buy here: theologicalforum.org/Browsing.aspx?BrowseBy=Category&CategoryId=125

see sample: theologicalforum.org/Books/519/pages/519.pdf

Enjoy and God Bless!

Wow! That looks good. I might get one.

The format looks good.

I am hesitant about any commentary which supports JEDP theory. My thought being, where else have they deconstructed Scripture.

Truth in bias though, I sat under some pretty extreme social justice fanatics who began scriptural deconstruction with JEDP and continued to deride anything they didn’t like, including the New Testament. Left a sour taste in my mouth.

The commentary of the NAB is disgusting and heretical. I’ve got the Ignatius New Testament Study Bible. It’s really good! Does anyone know when or if they are going to release a Old Testament Study Bible from the same people?

Heretical? I think not, though some of the NAB commentaries certainly are controversial.

(Those who are interested can explore this topic further by searching CAF for thread titles with the words “NAB commentary” or “New American Bible commentary,” for example.)

Jumping in to this thread to highly recommend the Didache Bible. I have the RSV-CE version in leather, and would imagine the NABRE to be of similar quality. It’s my most used Bible.

Great commentaries:

*Navarre Bible * scepterpublishers.org/collections/navarre-bibles

The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture (a good number have been completed)

And Ignatius

All three compliment each other – all are quite different from the others a–hence they dovetail nicely.

I second that. I often use it in my apologetics.

If you’re committed to the NABRE translation, I’d recommend either the previously mentioned NABRE Didache Bible or the Little Rock Catholic Study Bible.

If you’re open to a different translation, I’d recommend the Ignatius Didache Bible. If you want to, add the Ignatius Study Bible (same translation, different notes), which I think is a great pairing. You can get the ICSB either in print or on a smartphone app (what I use).

If you’re willing to go used, look at a 1966 Jerusalem Bible (look for the 2,000+ page regular edition, not the readers/popular edition, if you want lots of footnotes). If you go this route, I’d suggest spending a bit extra and getting one of the leatherette/thin-paper editions as they are much easier to hold than the 3-inch thick hardback, and with a little patience, can be gotten for a similar price.

The 1985 New Jerusalem Bible is also an option but has a few footnotes that drive some people batty, like the New American Bibles do. It’s in print. Look for a 2,100 page edition, not a reader’s edition.

I have the “Catholic Study Bible NABRE”
amazon.com/Catholic-Study-Bible-Donald-Senior/dp/0199362777?ie=UTF8&Version=1&entries=0

Its notes are pretty bad.

The other OT/NT in one book Catholic Study Bible
is the New Jerusalem Bible.
But it notes are equally as bad.
Plus the New Jerusalem bible uses ‘Yahweh’ throughout, which was pretty much forbidden by the Church in 2008 by Pope Benedict. It had always been a Jewish and Catholic tradition to not print/pronounce Yahweh, but these are the times we are in.

Other people made recommendations above, but all/most of these recommendations
are for Bibles that come in 2 or more volumes, which can get pretty expensive and end up
being a collection rather than a one book Bible.

It took me a while to catch on with the bad notes of the NABRE study bible, but if you are smart and strong in the faith, you’ll catch on, and will learn to ignore it…College-level smart and awareness required.

There is Tradition vs. Historical Critical method of analyzing the bible.
In very many cases the Historical Critical method is hogwash, sometimes not.
Best to go by tradition, these things/issues can be researched on internet/wikipedia.

Get the Didache Bible. It is available in RSV-CE or NABRE versions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.