Biblical archeology book suggestions

Hello,

I’m new to the forums so please advise me if I posted this on the wrong section.

I am looking for suggestions for good books on Biblical archeology and the history of the Bible.

This will be my entry to the above subjects so I’m not looking for anything too scholarly. Something accessible but not too basic would be more to my level.

Thanks!

Those are two different topics. For the first my suggestion is Zondervan Handbook of Biblical Archaeology.

This is an excellent guide to all the archeological sites in Israel. The author, Fr. Jerome Murphy-O’Connor, was an Irish Dominican who lived virtually all his adult life in Jerusalem.

2 Likes

The 1st Edition of The Bible as History - is easily read - and covers both.

Cambridge has a great Atlas and other resources.

Catholic Answers (our host) publishes “Where We Got the Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church,” by Rev. Henry G. Graham. It focuses on refuting Protestant claims regarding the origins of the Bible, since the author was a convert to Catholicism who later became a bishop. I can attest to the fact that it is not difficult to read or understand. It might be a good place to start, if you haven’t read it.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I will definitely look into these.

And I was aware these were two separate topics. I meant I was looking for good books in both seperate topics.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.