Biblical argument for Protestant canon?

Hello brethren! Today I was browsing around in the YouTube comment section of a video, and I found a very strange argument for 66 books in the (Protestant) Bible. The comment said this:

“Leviticus and Exodus says there would be 66 books in the bible thousand of years before the scriptures were translated into the bible. On the table of shewbread there are 12 unleavened breads arranged in two rows of 6. 6 on the left and 6 on the right. 6 -6 = 66 books. The Lampstand has 7 branches. On each branch there are 3 blossoms, 3 buds and 3 fruits. a total of 9. 9 X 6 branches = 54. On the middle branch there are 4 blossoms, 4 buds and 4 fruits. 4 + 4 + 4 = 12. 54 + 12 = 66. The OLD covenant has 39 books. the 3 branches on the left = 27 + 12 of the middle branch= 39. The NEW covenant has 27 books. The 3 branches on the right = 27. All that the SAINTS need to know is written in the scriptures. ALL. Amos 3:7 May Yahweh bless you.”

I’m a bit surprised by this! I haven’t heard this argument before, has anyone else? Are there any ways to refute this?

God Bless, Pax Christi.

The Books selected for the non-Catholic Bible are not based on Scripture, but on language.
I recently read Pilgrim’s Progress, which is considered a classic. I haven’t yet decided what to do with the book that I know I cannot pass onto anybody else because of its numerous theological errors.
It is not sola sciptura but relies on allegories and symbolism as apparently is being used by “Biblical argument for 66 books.”
How are those 66 books determined? Does the author realized that it was a Jewish determination based on language that determined the 66 Books?
There were 2 sets of Canons, one held by the Palestinian Jews, and one held by the Alexandrian Jews, or those outside Palestine.
The Books of the Bible were written in Hebrew, Greek,and Aramaic.
The Palestinian Jews required an Aramaic version and the Hellenistic Jews required a Greek version. Hebrew by that time was a dead language.
The 4 criteria the Pharisees used to be included in their revised Jewish canon during the centuries before Christ’s birth (1) They had to be in harmony with the Pentateuch; (2) They had to be written before the time of Ezra; (3) They had to be written in Hebrew; and (4) They had to be written in Palestine.

Meh. I could just as easily say “Jesus says there would be 73 books of the Bible hundreds of years before His Church assembled it. In Luke 10, Jesus ‘appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go.’ 72 others + 1 Jesus = 73. Therefore, 73 books.”

Or, I could say, “In Numbers 11, God bestows his Spirit on his people. Moses assembles 70 elders; two others in camp receive the Spirit; and Moses has already received the Spirit. 70+2+1=73. Therefore, 73 books.”

See how easy it is to make a spurious claim like that? Just find the right number, demonstrate that it exists in the Bible, and then use it to make a completely unrelated assertion. :wink:

Dissect it. Absolute nonsense.

Amos 3:7 Surely the Lord God does nothing,
without revealing his secret
to his servants the prophets.

Nothing to do with the YouTuber’s “new math”

Nonsense. You cannot argue with such a bigoted mind.

Combine Ezra and Nehemiah (as they originally were) and you have 72 books in the Catholic Bible. Jesus sent the 72. Solved! :thumbsup:

Sure. Let’s break it down.

Leviticus and Exodus says there would be 66 books in the bible thousand of years before the scriptures were translated into the bible.

No it doesn’t. Provide the Chapter and verse where the number of books of the bible are mentioned.

On the table of shewbread there are 12 unleavened breads arranged in two rows of 6. 6 on the left and 6 on the right. 6 -6 = 66 books.

No. That amounts to 12 unleavened breads arranged in two rows of 6. 6 loaves on one side and 6 on the other. No books mentioned. No books present.

The Lampstand has 7 branches. On each branch there are 3 blossoms, 3 buds and 3 fruits. a total of 9. 9 X 6 branches = 54. On the middle branch there are 4 blossoms, 4 buds and 4 fruits. 4 + 4 + 4 = 12. 54 + 12 = 66.

Again, that amounts to 54 branches and 4 blossoms, 4 buds and 4 fruits. No books of any kind mentioned.

• The OLD covenant has 39 books. the 3 branches on the left = 27 + 12 of the middle branch= 39. The NEW covenant has 27 books. The 3 branches on the right = 27. All that the SAINTS need to know is written in the scriptures. ALL. Amos 3:7 May Yahweh bless you."*

Again, no books mentioned. Only branches.

Consider this. Protestants claim that every teaching in Scripture must be “explicit”. Therefore, they deny the Eucharist, Purgatory, the communion of Saints, the New Testament Priesthood and the authority of the Catholic Church.

But they want you to accept this numerology garbage simply because they took numbers from here and there and forced them to be 66? C’mon. Don’t be so gullible.

Here’s some numbers you can throw back at them, if you want.

The number 6 is associated with Satan (666). The number 6, is also the spiritual number of deceit, error and incompleteness. The Protestant Bible consists of 66 books. Thus, God is telling you that the Protestant Bible is profoundly incomplete.

However, the number of books in the Catholic Bible is 73. The number 7 is the number of completeness. It signifies God’s covenant with man. The number 3 is the number of the Trinity. It signifies God.

Thus, God is telling you that the Catholic Bible is the Covenant of God with man.

God Bless, Pax Christi.

and to you!

Proof for the Catholic canon:

Jesus chose twelve apostles. 12 apostles + 1 Jesus= 13. Jesus sent out 72 disciples. 72- 13= 59. Paul later became an apostle. 59+ 1= 60. Add the first number back in (13) and you get 73.

Don’t forget that the Bible also warned us about 9/11 (because the words “twin” and “tower” and the numbers “9” and “11” are somewhere to be found inside of it). :wink:

What did Jesus have to say about the Bible? Did He leave any instructions?

Which came first…the Catholic Church or the Bible?

The Pharisees who revised the Jewish canon weren’t counting the number of books.
I am having fun seeing the play on numbers.
Christianity did come out of the Jewish tradition.
The number of Apostles chosen by Christ corresponds to number of the tribes of Israel.
This is a given that comes to us from Tradition. I don’t know any Christian denomination that disputes it.
Tradition is by definition the handing down of the Faith as taught to the Apostles by Christ himself. Initially this was done orally. These teachings were entrusted to the Magisterium of the Church, the teaching authority, and are protected by the Holy Spirit.
It is the Magisterium which decided which books should be included in the Canon that we call the Bible.
“Sacred theology rests on the written word of God together with sacred tradition, as its primary and perpetual foundation.”—Vatican II Constitution on Divine Revelation.

The talk of 66s is merely a mnemonic to keep beginners interested in what Scriptures there are in their system, and as such is a good thing. It wouldn’t have been intended as a teaching per se, though superstitious minded “leaders” are evidently trying to turn it into one.

7 = Complete, 3 = Holy (Trinity), 6 = incomplete.

Complete and Holy or incomplete and incomplete?

:cool:

Three=Trinity. It’s represented in a person’s three elements–body, soul, spirit; theological virtues (3 altar steps), elements of faith, evangelical counsels, notable duties, sons of Noah, angels who visited Abraham, branches of the vine in the butler’s dream, witnesses, days in Jonah’s spent in the belly of the whale, days of Jesus in the tomb, etc.

Four= Numerical signature of nature. 4 seasons; 4 evangelists; rivers of Paradise (Pison, Gihon, Tigris, Euphrates); Beasts of the Apocalypse; Gospels

Six=Seven minus one is the imperfect number; being one short of seven.

Seven= The perfect number=3 + 4
Every 7th day is a Sabbath, every 7th year is a Sabbath year; every 7th Sabbatical year is followed by a Jubilee year. 7 weeks between Passover and Pentecost. Passover and Tabernacle Feast last 7 days; gifts of the Holy Spirit, etc.
—From the Catholic Source Book

The Book of Revelations says 666 refers to a man (a beast), which the Catholic Church understands to be Nero. The three being divinity, it is man trying to be God. That was the explanation I learned during a talk on Revelations. The Catholic Source Book refers to 666 as “perfect imperfection, falling three times short of seven.” In both Greek and Hebrew, numbers are used as letters. It names others people have interpreted the numbers to reference. It could be a set of people or an institution headed by a person or group of people.

Right. This isn’t an argument; it’s just pulling numbers out and imbuing them with unintended significance. It’s easy to do that in any direction. Heck, the guy ended his “argument” with Amos 3:7. Put that backwards, that’s 73. So, really, he just proved that the Bible should have 73 books. :stuck_out_tongue:

If he had an actual quote from Scripture that specifically said “The canon of Scripture shall have 69 books,” that would be an argument worth paying attention to. This is nothing but stretching random assortments of numbers in the manner in which conspiracy theories are built.

That’s what I was going to post. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi!

…no, I give up! Since there’s no refutation for this, I will become a sixty-six-er… or is it a Mormon–cause they have evidence that Jesus spoke of them in the fold that did not belong to the Jewish fold… or is it a Jehovah Witness–their experts have more than compelling evidence that Jesus is a demigod/angel… wait, a Jew… clearly none can be closer to the Old Testament hidden numerology…

Please, ask them to show you the passage where the Holy Spirit stated that numerology is God’s Revelation to man.

…also ask them why is it that they can discern such warped understanding of the Word of God and Jesus’ Teaching on being One and eating His Body and drinking His Blood completely evades them?

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, De Maria!

…all I can say to that is:
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

…followed by:

:bowdown2::bowdown2::bowdown2:

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Thom!

…wait… but aren’t you using higher math on that first part? …wouldn’t that confuse the 66ers?

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi, Vic!

…but it is not as simple as that… the argument is to demonstrate that the Catholic Church has it wrong… that Protestants, who emerged from Luther’s protestation of the Church’s Authority, have the authority granted to them by the Holy Spirit…

…I recall a vision test that I was forced to undergo… there was a booth, and a light; I was told, before I entered the booth, that I would see a green light; when I entered I saw a bluish light (more like teal or bright teal)–I failed the test!

…once a person believes that the correct Bible Canon should contained only 66 books, can anything else the Church Teaches be acceptable to them as correct?

…I feel that it is a very subtle mind control gambit–‘if you teach it, they’ll believe!’

Maran atha!

Angel

Where does the Bible specifically say that this method is to be the one in determining how many books should be in the canon? Can the person who came up with this please quote book, chapter, and verse that tells us this is the proper method?

Here’s the reason why the Protestants use the Jewish Bible:

“Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the value of circumcision? 2 Much, in every way. For in the first place the Jews[a] were entrusted with the oracles of God.” Rom. 3:1-2 (NRSV)

They changed their Canon after Jesus’ time, though. That’s the one protestants use.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.