Biblical cultures

**Dear Brothers and Sisters in the SACRED HEART!!

I am studying Sacred Scripture and because I want my study to be fruitful, I want to know as much as I possibly can. I am looking information on Some biblical cultures. I am planning to do a case study on each one, however I don’t think I have a comprehensive list. Here are some I have and the ones I don’t, please contribute the names so that I can research the others I’m missing:

So far I’ve thought about:

Jewish (Obviously)
Egyptian
Babylonian
Assyrian
Hittite
Greek
Roman
Persian

Coming from an Ancient historical course and due to a great love of Ancient history, I want to know as much as I can about the cultures that influenced, shaped and played a part in Salvation History. Please contribute any cultures that I probably left out. Thank You**!

How about the Philistines? You know, David and Goliath. :slight_smile:

Hello :slight_smile:

Don´t forget the Phoenicians :slight_smile:

Greetings, Alice

Although they might fall under the Greeks(?), it would be interesting to see what can be said about the Cretans…

Titus 1:12 “A prophet of their own, once said, ‘Cretans have always been liars, vicious beasts, and lazy gluttons.’ That testimony is true.”

:o

You might check out Victor Matthews’ A Brief History of Ancient Israel. He gives a very very brief (300 pages) overview of the history of Israel, including their interactions with other cultures.

-ACEGC

Thank you! It looks to be invaluable, when I get the money :blush:. I am also planning on buying Biblical handbook. It’s huge and like a history textbook, although it’s loaded with pictures and art as well. I am an arts person myself (philosophy, languages,history,writing etc) and this is really awesome. Tying in history with Salvation history. Particularly ancient history (I love ancient history)

*Thanks to everyone else as welll!! The Cretans and Philistinians are on my list. So are the Tyreans (Tyre). *

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.