Biblical evidences for Pope's authority in granting indulgences for Purgatory

Where did the Pope get the power to grant indulgences for Purgatory? I know priests were given the power by Jesus to forgive and retain the sins of men, but where is it in the bible where Jesus gave also power to priests to remove the punishments for the sins of souls already forgiven?

Short answer:
The Keys of the Kingdom.

Medium answer:
Search for Indulgences here: catholic.com/
(sorry, it’s not working for me now!)

Long answer: saintjoe.com/p/prod_desc.pl?id=223

Hi Pythagoras,

The Pope has no jurisdiction over the dead. We can earn indulgences for ourselves and ask God to apply them to the dead, but He is not obliged to do so. He acts according to His wisdom.

Verbum

[quote=Verbum]Hi Pythagoras,

The Pope has no jurisdiction over the dead. We can earn indulgences for ourselves and ask God to apply them to the dead, but He is not obliged to do so. He acts according to His wisdom.

Verbum
[/quote]

This is a little off topic, but If we earn Plenary Indulgence, can we as God to apply that to another person? Can we do so for a living person?

I don’t think so… In fact I don’t think we can earn indulgences for other living folks, but I’m not sure on that.

[quote=Ignatius]This is a little off topic, but If we earn Plenary Indulgence, can we as God to apply that to another person? Can we do so for a living person?
[/quote]

i wouldn’t think so… you can’t be baptised for someone else, you
can’t go to confession for someone else, or do pennance for
someone else…

:slight_smile:

[quote=johnshelby]i wouldn’t think so… you can’t be baptised for someone else, you
can’t go to confession for someone else, or do pennance for
someone else…
[/quote]

Do you mean I can’t earn an indulgence for a person who has passed away or just for a living person.

[quote=Ignatius]This is a little off topic, but If we earn Plenary Indulgence, can we as God to apply that to another person? Can we do so for a living person?
[/quote]

A person may perform an indulgence for themselves personally or for the dead (including, and especially, the recently departed).

Can. 994 All members of the faithful can gain indulgences, partial or plenary, for themselves, or they can apply them by way of suffrage to the dead. . (Cf. 1983 Code of Cannon Law)

As noted above, the Church Militant has no Authority over the souls of the dead. We can offer an indulgece on their behalf, but it remains to God on how or if to apply them.

[quote=Ignatius]Do you mean I can’t earn an indulgence for a person who has passed away or just for a living person.
[/quote]

well, looks like Brendan answered …

thanks…

[quote=Brendan]A person may perform an indulgence for themselves personally or for the dead (including, and especially, the recently departed).

Can. 994 All members of the faithful can gain indulgences, partial or plenary, for themselves, or they can apply them by way of suffrage to the dead. . (Cf. 1983 Code of Cannon Law)

As noted above, the Church Militant has no Authority over the souls of the dead. We can offer an indulgece on their behalf, but it remains to God on how or if to apply them.
[/quote]

Excellent, this was exactly what I was looking for. So, it seems we cannot get even a partial indulgence for others until they have passed on. Thank you.

[quote=Verbum]Hi Pythagoras,

Verbum
[/quote]

Hi All
You will have to forgive me for this but, How do you earn indulgences? and just what exactly is an indulgence?.
Thanks.

Hi Nondenom,

You will find a good summary of the subject in "A Primer on Indulgences.

Verbum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.