Bicycling to Mass

Hi all! I read a few threads from people who had expressed difficulty in attending Mass due to transportation issues. I had the same issue over a year ago, but arrived at a really fun solution.

I rode my bicycle!

Now, I know that not everyone has a bike or can ride one to church, but if a person can do it, it is an option, and perhaps one that might be overlooked. For me, it opened some doors to new friendships. For others in some parts of the world, especially the poor, a bicycle might be the only means of transportation anywhere. I now ride to Mass every chance I can, when the weather allows, which is most of the year as I'm in a moderate climate here in Texas.

My church is about 4 miles away with a route that is (to me) bike safe. It takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to ride there. I dress in some cycle-compatible clothing and pop a change of slacks and shoes in my backpack, and allow some time to cool down, freshen up and change. I'm also in the choir so I also carry my music.

As I was leaving Mass after my first bike trip (having changed back into my cycling clothes and helmet), our pastor spotted me and was grinning from ear to ear. Turns out that he's a cyclist as well, and rides out at our local lake trail once or twice a week on his day off and as his schedule allows. He invited me to come out and ride with the group from our parish-- I never knew that there WAS such a group! I took him up on the invitation and we had a wonderful time. We rode around one time, about 10 miles, and when we got back to the start point, I saw him looking down the trail again. Then he said, 'I'm almost thinking about going again...' but decided against it because he was having lunch with some of his family. Pretty spry for a man well into his 70's! :D

Since then, I've ridden at least once a month with the group and made several friends. I also learned a lot more about this very holy and blessed parish priest. It's been a real blessing. Healthy body and healthy spirit... you can't beat it.

So, for those who can ride a bike and may find themselves without another way to get to Mass for whatever reason, consider a bike. Even if you do have a car, think about biking to Mass once in a while, especially if the weather is pretty. You might just find yourself showered with extra blessings. And God would certainly approve-- after all, we do have a patron saint of bicyclists, Our Lady of Ghisallo.

Just an idea... hope it helps someone else.

Blessings!

~Spoken4

Your post is a blessing. I happen to feel that everything in life is better with a bicycle.

Thank you, tomarin! Yes, life is so much better with a bike... :thumbsup:

I hope I didn't come off as condescending, as that certainly wasn't my intent. I wanted to share a blessing that God gave to me, one that I truly cherish. Of course, the celebration of the Holy Eucharist in the Mass is one of our greatest blessings. When I found myself without my usual means of getting to Mass and the Eucharist, I began t despair a bit. Then He opened my eye to those two wheels out on my back porch, which I use every single day... it was so obvious that it didn't immediately occur to me. Funny how that works, the way we humans tend to forget or overlook the most obvious things when we find ourselves looking for a solution to a problem.

It was a small sacrifice of sweat and time-- it was a hot day and it would have been faster and cooler to drive-- but oh! The cool air conditioning felt SO good when I got there, and the feeling of making the extra sacrifice to get to Mass made that Mass so much sweeter. After all, look what sacrifice Jesus made in order for us to have the Eucharist in the first place! Now it's a regular thing for me to ride to Mass, but the sweetness is no less.

Praise God for His many blessings, including the person or people who developed the bike, and for His Son our Lord Jesus Christ!

~Spoken4

I bicycle to Daily Mass usually and Sunday Mass quite often. It is a mile and a half one way. :D Where I live we have good weather almost year around. Now I have to use lights to bicycle to Daily Mass. I bicycle in a dress or skirt quite often too but I wouldn't care to do that for four miles. I carry wipes or hand sanitizer with me in case I get bike grease on me.;)

Cool.

I'd do it if there were bike-safe lanes in my town.

ICXC NIKA

A great idea, but in our climate really only practical from late April through October.

Still, as an avid cyclist (3000 km so far this season), I certainly encourage biking where and when possible!

[quote="tomarin, post:2, topic:339719"]
Your post is a blessing. I happen to feel that everything in life is better with a bicycle.

[/quote]

I ride a bicycle to my college. But I'm fortunate that it's a relatively safe path from my house to the campus.

Cycling is a gift from God.

-Tim-

Since I can’t bicycle to work (it’s easier to walk because of all the construction projects in downtown Manhattan) I should bicycle to mass from now on.

[quote="tomarin, post:2, topic:339719"]
I happen to feel that everything in life is better with a bicycle.

[/quote]

I don't' know why, but this made me lol.

So awesome! I am an avid cyclist and wish I could do that but where I live relative to my church that just doesn't work out well. Its not the distance but the route for me to get there.

Great to hear of people doing this. Either walking or riding! :thumbsup:

[quote="TK421, post:10, topic:339719"]
I don't' know why, but this made me lol.

[/quote]

I'm glad I brought some laughter to your day.

I walk to Mass. It's only a 5-minute walk. I should start a "Walk to Mass" group. :D

We homeschool and often send our teenager to bike to noon Mass (and altar serve)

Being a teen, he's generally not up in time to make it to 8:30 Mass with mom and the siblings :p

Besides the noon Mass is generally more in need of altar boys than the am Mass...

Great testimony.

I hope many will gain inspiration from you. I can ride my bike to the Catholic church that is closest to me. (I choose to walk) The one, I attend regularly, I can't because it is about 40km away. I have no clue how many miles that would be. As it is up here in Canada. our season for cycling isn't that long due to the snow and cold weather we experience. The joys of being Canadian.

40 km = 24 miles (multiply by 0.6)

You drive 24 miles to Mass? Wow, at you guys’ fuel prices that would be penance!!!

And I thought 10 miles to the monastery once a month was a lot!!!

Here we have the reverse climate problem; if I were to walk or bike the 1 or 3 km to the nearest parishes, I’d be soaking wet with perspiration most of the year. The minor penance of living at latitude 27! :):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA.

A few summers ago I made a plan to go daily Mass in the morning but the 110 °F weather made it impossible...
The Arizona heat is dangerous.

[quote="OraLabora, post:6, topic:339719"]
A great idea, but in our climate really only practical from late April through October.

Still, as an avid cyclist (3000 km so far this season), I certainly encourage biking where and when possible!

[/quote]

I had 4000 miles on my bike before someone stole it. That's okay, though, I fell off of it twice and seem to attract dog bites as well so I'm bikeless now. Do a lot of walking these days.

[quote="Spoken4, post:1, topic:339719"]
Hi all! I read a few threads from people who had expressed difficulty in attending Mass due to transportation issues. I had the same issue over a year ago, but arrived at a really fun solution.

I rode my bicycle!

snip

[/quote]

You ride a bicycle to Mass and you user name is Spoken4? :D

I am also a cyclist (known as BikeGeezer on the bicycling.com forum), but I don't ride to Mass, because my wife can't sit on my floating carrier rack. I do, however, commute to the job, a little over 8 miles one way.

[quote="GEddie, post:16, topic:339719"]
40 km = 24 miles (multiply by 0.6)

You drive 24 miles to Mass? Wow, at you guys' fuel prices that would be penance!!!!

And I thought 10 miles to the monastery once a month was a lot!!!!

Here we have the reverse climate problem; if I were to walk or bike the 1 or 3 km to the nearest parishes, I'd be soaking wet with perspiration most of the year. The minor penance of living at latitude 27! :):)

ICXC NIKA.

[/quote]

I go to mass at the abbey I'm associated with, every Sunday. It's also 40 km away. But my car is a diesel and gets 4.6 L/100 km. That's roughly 50 mpg.

I could bike it in the nice season. Lots of hills but it would take me less than 2 hours. But I'd be pretty sweaty at Mass...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.