Biden Automatically Excommunicated Himself

Pope Benedict XVI strongly reasserted the church’s opposition to abortion, euthanasia and gay marriage, saying that **Roman Catholic politicians were “especially” obligated to defend the church’s beliefs in their public duties.

**“These values are non-negotiable,” the pope wrote in a 130-page “apostolic exhortation,” a distillation of opinion from a worldwide meeting of bishops at the Vatican in 2005.

“Consequently, Catholic politicians and legislators, conscious of their grave responsibility before society, must feel particularly bound, on the basis of a properly formed conscience, to introduce laws inspired by values grounded in human nature.”

The Church teaches that those that have actively participated in the abortion process, or in gay "marriage" are excommunicated automatically. This is not a punishment; it is a statement of fact that THEY have separated themselves from the Church.

Is it any wonder that the entire global economy is crashing?

“No other issue, not all other issues taken together, can constitute a proportionate reason for voting for candidates that intend to preserve and defend this holocaust of innocent human life that is abortion (Father John Corapi).”

“If you believe in ‘abortion rights,’ and knowingly and willfully vote for a candidate who promises to protect those ‘rights,’ you have committed a sin.” This is especially true for Catholics who have 2,000 years of Church teaching and tradition to back them up. “A voter who votes for a candidate who supports abortion has intentionally and deliberately helped someone who promotes a violent and destructive activity. That vote is similar in seriousness to participating in a pro-abortion rally, or writing an editorial that supports abortion (Priests for Life).”

Our politicians are blind. Voting for politicians who support abnortion and gay “marriage” is a sin.

While that is true about procuring an abortion, I don’t think Joe Biden has done that. His words, without those actions, do not qualify for excommunication. And gay marriage (not that Joe Biden has had one) isn’t an excommunicable offense.

These are the reasons a latae senentiae excommunication. (the kind where you automatically excommunicate yourself)

**Procuring of abortion

Apostasy: The total rejection of the Christian faith.

Heresy: The obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth, which must be believed with divine and Catholic faith.

Schism: The rejection of the authority and jurisdiction of the pope as head of the Church.

Desecration of sacred species (Holy Communion)

Physical attack on the pope

Sacramental absolution of an accomplice in sin against the Sixth and Ninth Commandments

Unauthorized episcopal (bishop) consecration

Direct violation of confessional seal by confessor**

If you want to double check, here is a link to the relevant sections of canon law.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P52.HTM

NB: you will have to go though several pages since the lesser penalties for similar offenses are listed on each page, which makes gleaning the latae sententiae offenses somewhat hard to pick out.

Graham, son of the Rev. Billy Graham, said the president was defying God’s will by changing his opinion on the issue.

“President Obama has, in my view, shaken his fist at the same God who created and defined marriage. It grieves me that our president would now affirm same-sex marriage, though I believe it grieves God even more,” Graham said in a statement.

“This is a sad day for America. May God help us,” he said.

***"Any Catholic who obstinately denies that abortion is always gravely immoral commits the sin of heresy. The sin of heresy also incurs a latae sententiae excommunication.

Unfortunately, some Catholics obstinately deny that abortion is always immoral, and some Catholics claim that abortion can, at times, be a morally-acceptable choice, and some Catholics claim that a person can, in good conscience, choose abortion. Under the Code of Canon Law of the Roman Catholic Church, canons 751 and 1364, all such Catholics are automatically excommunicated for the sin of heresy.

This sentence of latae sententiae excommunication applies to any Catholic who denies that abortion is gravely immoral, regardless of whether they keep this denial hidden or publicly reveal it."***

catholicplanet.com/articles/article78.htm

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think one can easily make the case that Biden, along with Pelosi and the other CINO’s (Catholics In Name Only) have excommunicated themselves.

Here’s how:

1. The definition of heresy is the post-baptismal, obstinate denial of a truth which must be believed with Catholic and Divine faith, or likewise, it is an obstinate doubt about the same. In other words, denial of a (just one will do) doctrine of the Church.

2. According to Canon Law, all heretics are excommunicated automatically (latae sententiae).

3. Biden denies the Church’s teaching on homosexual acts, abortion, euthenasia, etc., any one of which would qualify him for the above.

It’s not for us laypeople to declare who has excommunicated him or herself. It may indeed have happened for all I know, but what is the point of this thread, unless the OP is Biden’s bishop or a relevant Vatican authority?

I genuinely like Biden but when I read the news, I was sorely dissapointed. After all, he has personally met with the Holy Father. He should be aware of what he's doing to himself and to the whole country.

That is the opinion of Ron Conte, a layman of dubious theological credentials.

How convenient to have a doctrine which punishes anyone who questions the doctrine, and it is “automatic”. What could be better? Who decides the difference between questioning the Catholic beliefs, or denying them? How does one know if one has been automatically excommunicated. That sounds like a cruel trick. Some poor person continues to give money and time to the institution, hoping to secure a place in paradise, not knowing that an automatic excommunication has occurred, say at the age of 14 years. Did typing this message automatically excommunicate me? If the Vice President changes his opinion at a later time, is he automatically “un-excommunicated”, or is this automation like falling through a trap door?

First of all, it’s not a doctrine. Secondly, it’s not the law that punishes. The law merely points out that the offender has stepped out of communion with the Body of Christ by their actions. In other words, the law is an act of charity, warning the offender they’d better repent and get back in line with the Truth. The Catholic Church only teaches the truths given it by Christ. The Church does not claim the authority to correct Christ.

Strictly speaking, the Truth is not a viewpoint or an opinion. It is a Person, Jesus Christ, Who said, “I am the way, the Truth, and the life…” So, to be out of communion with the Truth (excommunicated) is to be out of communion with Christ.

It isn’t us, or a bishop, or anyone from the Vatican who excommunicates Biden. It is Biden, himself, by his actions. What the Church teaches is the Truth given us by Christ. The Church does not claim the authority to correct Christ.

Strictly speaking, the Truth is not a viewpoint or an opinion. It is a Person, Jesus Christ, Who said, “I am the way, the Truth, and the life…” So, when we reject the Truth taught by the Church, we reject Jesus Christ, and are no longer in communion with Christ, i.e., we are excommunicated.

It seems common to me that many folks in our country seem to think that excommunication is a hammer that the Church holds over folks’ head to punish them. It is not. It is a charitable warning that one, by one’s actions, has stepped out of communion with the Church and Christ, and therefore, is in mortal danger for their soul.

It would be an act of self-love to remain silent in the face of someone putting their immortal souls in danger of being lost forever, would it not? Yet, folks in our day think it’s uncharitable to say anything that might “upset” someone else, regardless. Many souls will be lost because of that attitude.

So Mr. Biden may excommunicate himself, or un-excommunicate himself at will.

“Truth”, as it is used in the English language is the conformance of something with reality or actuality, which is a rather different definition than saying that it is a conformance which religious belief. as you suggest.

If the Church does not have the authority to “correct” Christ, and by that I assume that you mean to interpret what Christ says, then where is its role? I thought it had placed itself all these centuries as the mediator and interpreter of the bible. Is this not the argument against “sola scriptura” religions, such as some of the other Christian sects?

There is no absolute truth in today’s world. There are many relative truths, however. Since there are no absolutes, there are many things that you can believe. You can believe this way, or you can believe that way. This is the belief system of most people in society today.

“But when the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth (Jn 16:13).” Spiritual blindness distorts our knowledge of God’s creation. The Holy Spirit frees us from the lies that we tell ourselves and the blindness that sin brings.

How much time is spent in prayer, doing good works, and learning one’s faith? Kinda hard to claim it is all arbirtary if we spend more time on things other than our faith.

[quote="ekk1, post:14, topic:284056"]
So Mr. Biden may excommunicate himself, or un-excommunicate himself at will.

"Truth", as it is used in the English language is the conformance of something with reality or actuality, which is a rather different definition than saying that it is a conformance which religious belief. as you suggest.

If the Church does not have the authority to "correct" Christ, and by that I assume that you mean to interpret what Christ says, then where is its role? I thought it had placed itself all these centuries as the mediator and interpreter of the bible. Is this not the argument against "sola scriptura" religions, such as some of the other Christian sects?

[/quote]

No, he can't "uncommunicate" himself. If he repents, he must go to Sacramental Confession.

Truth existed long before either the English language or someone trying to explain what it meant.

No, the Church has the authority, from Christ, to teach what He taught. It also has a guarantee from Him that it will never teach doctrinal error. With regard to interpretations, that's another matter. Interpretations from one language to another is always a dicey thing. Errors are made because in some cases, there is no "good" interpretation. That being said, the Church can certainly get the doctrine across in whatever language is necessary. We need not rely on ourselves to constantly reinvent the wheel when it comes to doctrine (like Protestants).

Keep this in mind... When Jesus walked the earth, He never wrote a book, nor did He command anyone else to write a book. He taught orally. He taught the Apostles for three years...orally. That oral teaching has been passed down from Jesus to the Apostles and their successors, the bishops, for almost 2000 years now. We call that oral teaching Sacred Tradition. It preceded the Bible and is equal in authority to the Bible.

Both Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture (the Bible) are expressions of the Word of God. The Word of God, strictly speaking, though, is not "something." It is Somebody, Jesus Christ. The beginning of the Gospel of St. John says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." It is talking about Jesus Christ here.

Jesus gave His authority to Peter (first Pope) and the Apostles (first bishops), and promised to remain with the Church till the end of the world, and to send the Holy Spirit to lead it "into all truth." The Church will still be standing tall when Jesus returns, because it is indefectibly holy. Not because of the Pope, the bishops, priests, or laity. But because it has, as its head, Jesus Christ. And, as its soul, the Holy Spirit.

Jesus Christ is the ultimate, absolute Truth. He said, “I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life…”

There most certainly is such thing as objective, absolute truths. Those truths, however, were given to us by Jesus Christ, Who is God, Who is Truth itself.

Truth relativism is a recent invention of those trying to undermine the truth. Those who began promoting it are the same folks who try to deny the existence of God. The children of the Enlightenment movement, begun in France about 3 centuries ago as a movement whose aim was to create a society without God. It gave birth to such things as Marxism, Communism, etc. It is an evil movement, and doomed to fail. The question is, though, how many casualties will mankind experience before it fails. They have gained control over our education system, especially in the humanities in institutions of higher learning.

Is not an essential component of this view, the necessity of faith, which is a belief not based on truth (which is not the same as saying that it is untrue, but that it cannot be proved to be true)? That seems problematic to me.

You might keep in mind that man (finite being) cannot “prove” God (infinite being). Human sciense is woefully inadequate to do the job. It would be like a mouse chewing on piano keys being called upon to explain the finer points of Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony. Not nearly enough horsepower. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.