Biden: Protecting gay rights takes precedence over culture

From the Dallas Morning News

Seeking to mobilize a global front against anti-gay violence and discrimination, Vice President Joe Biden declared Tuesday that protecting gay rights is a defining mark of a civilized nation and must trump national cultures and social traditions.
Biden told a gathering of U.S. and international gay rights advocates that President Barack Obama has directed that U.S. diplomacy and foreign assistance promote the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender men and women around the world .
“I don’t care what your culture is,” Biden told about 100 guests at the Naval Observatory’s vice presidential mansion. “Inhumanity is inhumanity is inhumanity. Prejudice is prejudice is prejudice.”

Bear in mind, he is not talking merely about the right to exist while maintaining Christian norms of chastity.

At least we know where he stands: the right to commit sodomy is the pre-eminent civil right.

He is like so many Catholics.

I warned everyone about Obama and his real agenda way before he was elected the first time. Well, not on here. I don’t go that far back on CAF. To me it was surprising that anyone Christian could vote for him.

Perhaps God sent Joe Biden to show the world how NOT to act.

Apparently Susan Rice is in full agreement with the VP. From Catholic World News:

National security advisor: ‘America’s support for LGBT rights’ is a ‘global enterprise’

National Security Advisor Susan Rice said on June 24 that “America’s support for LGBT rights is not just a national cause but it’s also a global enterprise.”

“President Obama has specifically directed that American diplomacy and American assistance promote and protect the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender men and women, all around the world,” she said in an address to the first White House Forum on Global LGBT Human Rights.

“Universal human rights are not bestowed by governments or powerful majorities, they are God’s gift and the birth right of all people,” she added. “They belong to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender men and women as surely as they belong to anyone in the human family. As President Obama has said so eloquently, ‘If we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.’”

She continued:

[INDENT]So protecting our LGBT brothers and sisters is among the most challenging human rights issues we face. Prejudice has deep roots, and the laws limiting gay rights frequently enjoy strong popular support … For the faith community, how can we reinforce to religious groups that God loves all the children of his creation equally? For the human rights community, how can we help activists work together to advance social justice for everyone? Because, if you care about equal rights for women or ethnic or religious minorities, you should care about LGBT human rights too. It’s all the same.[/INDENT]

Rom 1:[21] Because that, when they knew God, they have not glorified him as God, or given thanks; but became vain in their thoughts, and their foolish heart was darkened. [22] For professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. [23] And they changed the glory of the incorruptible God into the likeness of the image of a corruptible man, and of birds, and of fourfooted beasts, and of creeping things. [24] Wherefore God gave them up to the desires of their heart, unto uncleanness, to dishonour their own bodies among themselves. [25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie; and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

[26] For this cause God delivered them up to shameful affections. For their women have changed the natural use into that use which is against nature. [27] And, in like manner, the men also, leaving the natural use of the women, have burned in their lusts one towards another, men with men working that which is filthy, and receiving in themselves the recompense which was due to their error.

I think I’ll choose to agree with God speaking through St Paul rather than Barrack speaking through Susan Rice.

Hello Mark.

That’s right - the sexual revolution of the 60’s and 70’s is still with us and those who “liberated” everyone from sexual morality and the “liberated” still move the hands that make the laws the rest of us have to put up with. They think that by now everyone thinks like they do, but guess what? Most don’t.

Glenda

It is difficult for me not to become judgmental of Biden when he makes such comments. On the one hand he is a Catholic and yet he feels OK about these kinds of statements. Then, I have to stop and reflect on so many old friends who say they are Catholic but don’t want to discriminate against anyone so they support these issues. Is Joe Biden speaking as a politician, separation of church and state, or is he speaking as a Catholic who supports LBGT rights?

Biden has got it half right. Gays should be protected from persecution and acts of violence by other members of society. Their lifestyle does not trump the religious freedoms of others however, for that is equally intolerant. They cannot have the right to force gay marriages in places that are fundamentally opposed to it. The problem with gay people is that they always want to push for a bit more. They had civil partnerships in Britain, but they weren’t happy with that. So the government gave them the same rights as heterosexual couples, which, I suppose, is fair. The trouble is they will now push hard for gay weddings in church, and will use all the legal means at their disposal, including the European court, to achieve it. The Eton-educated idiot Cameron has successfully managed to marginalise the Catholic Church and the Church of England even more, despite his bullsh*t declaration of faith as a ‘Christian’.

Best wishes,
Padster

Well, one one hand I think there are aspects to this pronouncement that everyone — regardless of your view on the morality of homosexuality — should appreciate. It is undoubtedly true that there are many countries outside of the Western World were homosexuals face unjust persecution. No one should face the death penalty, or physical violence, or other forms of discrimination due their sexual orientation. If that is what Mr. Biden and the Obama administration seek to end then they should have all of our support.

On the other hand, if we’re talking about the widespread acceptance of gay culture and same sex marriage… The latter is particularly jarring. Given the fact that the government treats marriage as a socially created construct, why should the US have the authority to tell other cultures how they define marriage? You can’t have bother ways; either marriage is something that is eternal and unchangeable OR it is entirely subjective and completely up to the individual culture to define.

Even if they seek to focus on the former forms of persecution, why stop at homosexuality? Christians have it far, far worse in the parts of Africa, the ME and even in Asia. I can applaud defending the sanctity of life and protecting vulnerable minorities, but let’s be consistent in defending ALL minorities.

The answer is, of course, politics. Homosexuality is in and religion is not. So while the LGBT community can enjoy the protection of the US government, Christians in Nigeria, Iraq and Syria will continue to experience systematic ethnic cleansing.

Agreed that if what we were talking about was some sort of “ethnic” discrimination against “orientation”, that would be one thing. But we are not talking about that.

Even with the most highly cited example of a “repressive” law, Uganda’s anti-homosexuality law, none of the provisions of the law deal with “orientation” – they all deal with “conduct” [see text of law [URL=“http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/warrenthrockmorton/files/2014/02/Anti-Homosexuality-Act-2014.pdf”]here].

I weep for the future. Our poor children.

I don’t believe that this is worth squandering our depleted international influence on, however.

ICXC NIKA

Politics have gotten so Orwellian that speeches like this cannot be pinned down to their actual meanings. I’d agree fully with Biden if his words meant that US foreign policy must be brought to bear against nations that foster a culture of violence and rejections of PEOPLE based on their personal inclinations, appearance or similar inner characteristics.

But that’s not really what he means, is it? What he’s saying here is that the Obama administration is going to use the USA’s foreign policy apparatus to punish any country in which homosexual BEHAVIOR is not treated in culture and law as identical in value and morality as heterosexual behavior.

You reap what you sow. Some very nasty seeds have been sown for a long time now.

America seems to be destined to become Sodom and Gomorrah. They even have a month dedicated to celebrating and promoting homosexuality. The activists say they have no agenda, but its all laid out so clearly.

I think you’re right. It’s “change your culture or we’ll punish you”. And it isn’t just harsh discrimination he’s talking about, it’s cultural acceptance of homosexuality as “normal” and forcing individuals to accept that changed culture.

Of course, we do give money and military protection to people who cut peoples’ heads off for changing religion or cut off their hands for stealing. That’s different. :rolleyes:

Why now? Why expend their energies on the LGBT rights. They are nowhere near as persecuted as Christians who are being annihilated as we speak. Yet not a word from this administration.

No one is denying that ALL people have God-given rights, be they LGBT, Muslim, Christian, etc.

In many ways we already are-What Biden et al want to do is make the rest of the world that way also.

The push for all this over the last year is no surprise but the sudden acceptance of homosexuality as “normal” by people who used to think it is wrong is very strange. It is so odd in fact that I suspect there is a deviant spiritual component to it.

And don’t believe for a second it won’t impact the USA, the Catholic Church, or any other communion, such as the LCMS, that holds similar scriptural positions. It is not in the nature of progressives to allow for exceptions (see the HHS Mandate).
If the Vice President claims LGBT rights must overcome culture, then you can rest assured that it must overcome religious norms, and of course, the constitutional protections they may have.

Jon

Lord, have mercy! :(:mad:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.