Biden’s Son Hunter Discharged From Navy Reserve After Failing Cocaine Test

WASHINGTON—Vice President Joe Biden ’s son Hunter was discharged from the Navy Reserve this year after testing positive for cocaine, according to people familiar with the matter.

Hunter Biden, a lawyer by training who is now a managing partner at an investment company, had been commissioned as an ensign in the Navy Reserve, a part-time position. But after failing a drug test last year, his brief military career ended.

Mr. Biden, 44 years old, decided to pursue military service relatively late, beginning the direct-commission process to become a public-affairs officer in the Navy Reserve in 2012. Because of his age—43 when he was to be commissioned—he needed a waiver to join the Navy. He received a second Navy waiver because of a drug-related incident when he was a young man, according to people familiar with the matter. Military officials say such drug waivers aren’t uncommon.

online.wsj.com/articles/bidens-son-hunter-discharged-from-navy-reserve-after-failing-cocaine-test-1413499657

What I don’t understand about this story is how it remained under the radar until WSJ broke it yesterday. The drug test results were in June 2013, and the discharge was in February. The lag between those two events is significant, but the lag between the discharge and the story breaking is even more notable.

It’s about the son of a democratic vice-president. Very few reporters are interested in promulgating that story…

I really don’t see why this is news. Biden’s son is an adult and not holding or running for public office right?

Ordinarily I would agree, however he did campaign with his father and his father and mother have brought up Hunter and his service in many speeches. Further, there’s the spectre of nepotism, considering that 1) He received a dispensation for his age, 2) he received a second dispensation for his prior drug use, 3) he was given a very rare and competitive commission, and 4) that this story was so well kept under wraps.

Also, he is a public figure in his own right. He’s the chairman of the World Food Program

Why should anyone care. I don’t think I should be held responsible for what my children do and I know they don’t want to be held responsible for what I do!

This is not good. I hope and pray that he gives up his addiction and stays clean.

Huh? No one said Hunter’s cocaine use is Joe’s fault.

I think it would depend on the age of the child? For example, if a parent were to bring a 6 year old child into a pottery shop and he were walk around and break several dishes, then I would say that the parent should have to pay. I am not sure where the cutoff age should be, where the parent no longer has any responsibility for what the child does. Any child over 18 should be held 100% responsible for his actions, but the cutoff age might even be somewhat lower than that, perhaps 11 or 12 in some cases.

Biden may not be personally responsible for what his adult son did, but I do care, because (a) of the nepotism issues documented in an earlier post; and, (b) because Joe Biden has spent the last 6 years telling everyone else how THEY should live (accepting abortion and gay marriage, must agree with Obama else they be racists, criticizing gun ownership). As busy as he has been telling others how to live, one might have thought he could have turned that keen lifestyle analysis on his own family.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.