Biden to attend funeral for NY police officer on Saturday

HONOLULU (AP) — Vice President Joe Biden plans to be among the mourners at the funeral for a New York City policeman gunned down last weekend.

The White House says President Barack Obama has asked Biden to attend Saturday’s service for Rafael Ramos (rah-fy-EHL’ RAH’-mohs) at Christ Tabernacle Church in Glendale, New York. Biden’s wife will also attend.

Ramos and his partner, Wenjian Liu (WEHN’-jihn LOO’), were ambushed Saturday. The gunman claimed he was retaliating for the police-involved deaths of Eric Garner in New York and Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri. He later shot himself.

New York’s police commissioner says Liu’s family plans to make arrangements after arriving from China.

Obama is on vacation in Hawaii.

Source:
news.yahoo.com/biden-attend-funeral-ny-police-officer-saturday-214421611–politics.html;ylt=A0LEVwxy4ZpUeKUARenBGOd;_ylu=X3oDMTE0ZzNhNGM0BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1RBVVMwNTlfMQ–

I’m having a difficult time trusting our media…can anyone please tell me whether the President is actually going on vacation instead of attending the funeral for these officers? I understand the President is supposedly a busy man, but this article really makes him look bad.

I think Obama attending the funeral would send a very powerful message to those advocating violence on our police officers. It’s a shame he won’t take the opportunity to do so.

I realize the President needs a vacation, this is the holiday season, he has taken fewer vacations than most of his predecessors, and that going to funerals is often part of the job description for Vice Presidents. NONETHELESS, it would have sent a powerful message if Pres. Obama himself had attended the funeral.

So what, Obama is afraid of angering his constituents and looking the hypocrite after his recent statements? Is that why Biden is going instead?

This, and I think it’s just not that important to him.

Or maybe the family and/or police union didn’t want him there.

No doubt if he did go, some on this Forum would have called him a hypocrite rather than giving him credit. It’s a no-win situation for Obama in the eyes of his die-hard critics.

Taking into account the fact that Obama has inserted himself into all of the black/ white situations,going as far back as the prof and the policeman,his absence here speaks volumes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.