biggest compliment you can give to the faith opposite of yours

What is the biggest compliment you can give to a faith other then your own?

God loves you.

To Taoist and Buddhists I would compliment them by saying something like:

I see you embrace peace; how can I not embrace you?

“Your faith is a good alternative to what some others have left, when they cannot accept mine.” :wink:

That’s not a compliment.

To the Baptist, I would say thank you for your concern over lost souls.

Let me give mine.

My biggest compliment is that they accept Jesus Christ in their heart and do the best they can to live up to their faith. :smiley:

Thanks Sono… This is what I am looking for!:smiley:

How about, “The people who leave you for us are nicer than the people who leave us for you?”

:stuck_out_tongue:

Be nice bp :rotfl: Come on something about another faith that you really admire.

Like how about this one. I love how the Baptist really get into that singing! I thinks thats great. Nice things. Just once lets have nice things.

Come on everyone lets show how we can really bring out the God in ourself by seeing the God in others!

Jesus loves you :slight_smile:

To the Episcopalian, I wish we were as reverent in the liturgy as you are.

I don’t know that there is an opposite faith. At least in the sense that there is a faith that is diametrically opposed to my beliefs… Maybe Atheism could be counted that way, but then I don’t think they would be a faith.

edit add-btw I am an evangelical Christian

Anyways, I am assuming, rinnie, that you mean those who disagree with you on matters of faith.

Krister Stendahl was a Lutheran of some note. He wrote some rules that I like, and as they seem pertinent, I thought I would post them.

Stendahl’s Three Rules of Religious Understanding

Krister Stendahl (1921-2008), former professor at the Divinity School of Harvard University, is famous in part for outlining very insightful guidelines for inter-religious discussion:

(1) When you are trying to understand another religion, you should ask the adherents of that religion and not its enemies.
(2) Don’t compare your best to their worst.

** (3) Leave room for “holy envy.**” (By this Stendahl meant that you should be willing to recognize elements in the other religious tradition or faith that you admire and wish could, in some way, be reflected in your own religious tradition or faith.)

Emphasis mine, on point 3, as this seems to be the brunt of what you are also saying.

So, where is the “holy envy” of another’s faith?

I think it depends on the beliefs of that faith as contrasted to your own. I think you should try to find something you feel they might actually doing a better job of than yourself… or at least something they do equitably and compliment them on that.

If I were to look at Catholicism, in example, the thing that comes to mind is that Catholics seem to be more flexible in regards to scientific discovery. A Catholic can fit the concepts of evolution into their paradigm of faith more easily than most of my fellow evangelicals and I think that is great.

That’s nice.

To Satanists: you made some great heavy metal in the 80’s but you’re going to fry so please reconsider!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::eek: :eek: :eek:

To the Black churches — You sure dress up nice for the Lord.

To the Mormons — Your zeal to share your faith is admirable.

To the Charismatics — You make a joyful noise unto the Lord.

Quite a lot of nice architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
How about, “The people who leave you for us are nicer than the people who leave us for you?”

Be nice bp Come on something about another faith that you really admire.

**It’s a take-off on the joke about a husband and wife quarrelling.

He: You never say anything nice about me or my family.

She: OK. Your in-laws are nicer than my in-laws.**

There is some “good stuff” in the BOM, and Mormons don’t drink. I will leave it at that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.