Bill Cosby is charged with sexually assaulting woman in 2004

LA Times:

Bill Cosby is charged with sexually assaulting woman in 2004

Bill Cosby was charged by Pennsylvania authorities Wednesday with sexually assaulting a woman at his home 12 years ago — the first criminal charges brought against the comedian out of the torrent of allegations that destroyed his wholesome image as America’s Dad.
The case sets the stage for perhaps the biggest celebrity trial of the mobile-all-the-time era and could send the 78-year-old Cosby to prison in the twilight of his life and barrier-breaking career.

In bringing the case, Montgomery County Dist. Atty. Risa Vetri Ferman overruled her predecessor, who declined to charge Cosby in 2005 when Temple University employee Andrea Constand first told police that the comic drugged her and violated her by putting his hands down her pants at his mansion in suburban Philadelphia.
Cosby was charged with aggravated indecent assault, a felony, and was to be arraigned in the afternoon.

The TV star acknowledged under oath a decade ago that he had sexual contact with Constand but said it was consensual.

The charges were announced just days before the 12-year statute of limitations for bringing charges would have run out.

Somehow I think this is a case of the DA trying to make a name for himself. Whether Cosby is in fact guilty I doubt it can be proved in court.

I think the DA is a woman. I think you are right about it being proved in court.

WOW, I have a feeling that district atty will regret this decision, probably will destroy their career.

Ive seen the interviews with all the victims, but Im on the fence, IMO, its curious EVERY single one of them chose not to go to police when the incident happened.

I would think that with a very skilled defense team (which Cosby will surely have) it will be quite easy to demonstrate reasonable doubt.

Bill Cosby has turned into a very big disappointment.

The district attorney’s office’s statement said that the charges were made possible by new information that came to light in July 2015.

“We have examined the evidence in this case. The evidence is strong and sufficient to proceed at this point and we are proceeding,” he said.

I am just speculating here, but I believe the women did not go public at the time because Cosby was a very rich, powerful, and respected celebrity. They probably thought “Who will people believe: me or Dr. Huxtable?” So they chose to remain silent. Once they realized they were not the only alleged victims, they came forth.

It is very sad that the good he was able to do will be overshadowed by his own personal behavior. Whether or not his conduct can be proven criminal, he is now a big disappointment.

Exactly.Growing up in a rural area in northern Alberta, ny only exposure to blacks would have been the gangs burning down Detroit. had it not been for the gang that Bill Cosby introduced us to with his own humor. It was a very good perspective to understand that the inner city friends of his youth were the same kind of goofs and misfits that was not a lot different than the kids that I grew up in a small town. It was a perspective that I think was of great value to me as my own world expanded.

The good and the bad exist in everyone of us, but in the case of Bill Cosby, the fact that the bad was just so bad is just really disappointing.

:sad_yes::sad_yes::sad_yes:

Its tragic but I can’t see his lawyer in this, I really don’t know the case but it seems he was making way to many public statements. I have my doubts how this was handled.

I believe in this case, the lady in question did go to the police, but the DA declined to file charges at that time, due to insufficient evidence.

He has not been found guilty of anything. I don’t believe in trials by the media. I will hold out on saying anything until a verdict is handed down. Please pray for all parties concerned.

Yeah for sure, tragic, but it seems to me he has basically been admitting drugging women with Quaaludes multiple extramarital affairs, I just can’t see how a lawyer would allow him to talk or his PR team. You almost get the impression he wanted to plead his case in public. He seems like he’s drugged himself, doesn’t he?

Whatever happened to “PRESUMED INNOCENT until proven guilty”?

Seems like its the total opposite today, no matter what kind of criminal case it is and no matter who the defendant is, from the most famous celebrity down to the average joe next door, whether its capitol murder or shoplifting…people always assume GUILT right away…??

Not to mention, they are never going to be able to find a jury to hear this, its been in the news far too long now.

huzlers.com/breaking-bill-cosby-finally-admits-molested-17-women-read/

cnn.com/2015/07/07/us/bill-cosby-quaaludes-sexual-assault-allegations/

:thumbsup:

Forming opinions based on trial by media and the public is unwise and spiritually unedifying. I’m with you, wait for the courts to decide.

And I think money can grease the wheels of justice too.

Do you the courts always decide correctly?

Sure it can, its been that way since biblical times and probably be the same for centuries to come, after all, there is a reason why there are real prisons for low income average people and ‘prisons’ for the upper class.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.