Bill Maher Real TIme with Dr. Robert Jeffress (a rant)

Why would the good Reverend agree to go on a show in which he would only succeed in making a fool of himself and a mockery of Christianity.

This man holds the title of Doctor? Maher, who as we all know is a proud atheist, handled the matter well I think. He made a fool of the Reverend but only hit him with kid gloves. He handled him like Mohammad Ali might have handled Howard Cosell. He played danced around him and tapped him from time to time. He let his "superior" standpoint stand for itself. He didn't even have to try, Jeffress was a deer in the headlights. Maher showed a bit of degree of respect and let the Reverend off easy.

I know our more respectful Catholic theologeons and apologists would likely never accept an invitation to Maher's raunchy program, but I could not help but to wonder, what if they did? Would Maher have such an easy time making the faith look more foolish then rainbows, leprechauns and pots of gold then he did with the good Reverend?

If one does not posses the intellect / knowledge base/ conviction, to do a good job standing up for the faith, then I really wish one would not acheive the opposite by entering an arena one is WAYYY out classed in. What an embassasing show.

[quote="Mijoy2, post:1, topic:259499"]
Why would the good Reverend agree to go on a show in which he would only succeed in making a fool of himself and a mockery of Christianity.

This man holds the title of Doctor? Maher, who as we all know is a proud atheist, handled the matter well I think. He made a fool of the Reverend but only hit him with kid gloves. He handled him like Mohammad Ali might have handled Howard Cosell. He played danced around him and tapped him from time to time. He let his "superior" standpoint stand for itself. He didn't even have to try, Jeffress was a deer in the headlights. Maher showed a bit of degree of respect and let the Reverend off easy.

I know our more respectful Catholic theologeons and apologists would likely never accept an invitation to Maher's raunchy program, but I could not help but to wonder, what if they did? Would Maher have such an easy time making the faith look more foolish then rainbows, leprechauns and pots of gold then he did with the good Reverend?

If one does not posses the intellect / knowledge base/ conviction, to do a good job standing up for the faith, then I really wish one would not acheive the opposite by entering an arena one is WAYYY out classed in. What an embassasing show.

[/quote]

I would love to see super-apologists Scott Hahn or Mitch Pacwa in there. See how Maher would handle THEM.
Aside from that, I agree that I nor any devout Christians should go to that pompous atheist so-and-so (sorry, I can't stand him----May God fogive me) show. :thumbsup:

I could beat him :cool:

Maher doesn't scare me. Maher uses disrespect, blasphemy, and the power of the audience to "defeat" his opponants. Atheists flock around him so he has the power of numbers. However, any Christian who accepts his invitation should remember that he has the entire Choir of Angels and Communion of Saints surrounding him. I do think we need a crusader to go on that show and teach him a lesson, though.

May God have mercy on him.

~ Pius :knight1:

[/quote]

I don't recall Bill Maher's ever saying he is an atheist. He is against religion--particularly organized religion of any kind--but has stated he believes in G-d.

[/quote]

I believe the emminent Fr. George Coyne was on with Maher. But Maher's mind is not in the same plane as Fr. Coyne so Coyne did the punching. This Baptist pastor is the same one who proffers that the Church is a Babylon mystery religion. In short, he's a mental midget.

This is why our bishops don't allow their clergy to go on shows like Maher's. They know Maher has "stacked the house" and will use every dirty trick possible in order to make a mockery of the Faith. If a person is closeminded and will not welcome honest and open debate, he's not worth troubling about. People with brains know the kind of tactics he uses. Only those whose hatred for Christ compells them to think as he does find him convincing. Cheap shots make get laughs, but they don't make converts.

As for the Reverend, having a doctorate in no way means you will make a good apologist. If Maher were willing to give the man a real opportunity to present his case, maybe he would have done all right, but Maher doesn't work that way, so it was going to be a very one-sided affair from the get-go. It's why our apologists, such as Hahn or Staples don't debate people like Maher. They know better than to put themselves into his venue using his rules of engagement, and they are wise not to do so.

Has Stephen Colbert ever been on his show?

I was glad to see this discussion come up. I truly dislike Maher and his show. He handed out the last insult to me as a viewer sometime ago and I will not watch his show. It is my feeling that the only way we can fight back something like this is to never turn the set on or choose other types of shows.

Of course I would pay good money to see him get his comeuppance by someone who can match his brand of "talent?" How do these people get a following and get ahead in this culture anyway? It is a mystery to me.

[quote="meltzerboy, post:4, topic:259499"]
I don't recall Bill Maher's ever saying he is an atheist. He is against religion--particularly organized religion of any kind--but has stated he believes in G-d.

[/quote]

I thought Maher was an agnostic? He is what one might call an agnosto-atheist, as he is an agnostic (last I heard) who clearly leans toward the atheist side.

Fr. Coyne the Jesuit astronomer? I would like to see that. Much as Maher and their ilk speak against religion in the name of science, such people are must be confused when they meet Christians who know far more about science than they could dream to.

I watched that episode of Real Time and to be honest, I thought Maher was kind of defensive of the Catholic theological view of faith without works is dead. He really does not seem to believe in the idea of faith alone gets you into Heaven

[quote="Raskolnikov, post:9, topic:259499"]
I thought Maher was an agnostic? He is what one might call an agnosto-atheist, as he is an agnostic (last I heard) who clearly leans toward the atheist side.

Fr. Coyne the Jesuit astronomer? I would like to see that. Much as Maher and their ilk speak against religion in the name of science, such people are must be confused when they meet Christians who know far more about science than they could dream to.

[/quote]

Yes, it's on YOUTUBE. Just go there and search for Maher Coyne and you'll see it. Maher is no match.

[quote="Gift_from_God, post:10, topic:259499"]
I watched that episode of Real Time and to be honest, I thought Maher was kind of defensive of the Catholic theological view of faith without works is dead. He really does not seem to believe in the idea of faith alone gets you into Heaven

[/quote]

Most atheists don't.

[quote="Galand, post:8, topic:259499"]
I was glad to see this discussion come up. I truly dislike Maher and his show. He handed out the last insult to me as a viewer sometime ago and I will not watch his show. It is my feeling that the only way we can fight back something like this is to never turn the set on or choose other types of shows.

Of course I would pay good money to see him get his comeuppance by someone who can match his brand of "talent?" How do these people get a following and get ahead in this culture anyway? It is a mystery to me.

[/quote]

I agree. I don't watch him, period. He is simply a hate-monger.

This is one of many reasons why I cut my cable a year ago. I recommend it to everyone, t’s made me a far more joyful person.

I agree with you completely.

Apologetics is tough. It's not that hard to make an apologist look like an utter fool. All you have to do is keep asking questions and eventually everyone realizes that they are full of it.

Think about it, anyway, how egotistical do you have to be to claim you know the "secrets of God, the universe and creation," that have alluded trillions of people in the past.

Most of the time when people say, "I know what God is," "I know what God wants," it means, "I know what I want!"

[quote="VeritasLuxMea, post:16, topic:259499"]
Apologetics is tough. It's not that hard to make an apologist look like an utter fool. All you have to do is keep asking questions and eventually everyone realizes that they are full of it.

Think about it, anyway, how egotistical do you have to be to claim you know the "secrets of God, the universe and creation," that have alluded trillions of people in the past.

Most of the time when people say, "I know what God is," "I know what God wants," it means, "I know what I want!"

[/quote]

That's a tad TOO confident and arrogant of you to presume tio declare that apologists are easy to disprove and embarass.

How egotistical of YOU to presume that ANY apolegetics person have such weak theological arguments that it is easy to declare so. I guess you think Scott Hahn, Chesterton, or even C.S. Lewis would wilt before the might of Hitchens's, Bill Maher, or even YOUR intellectual arguments. I salute you and your ilk, sir. Your arguments are so self-evidently powerful and undisputable it is futile to even declare what they are about. :rolleyes:

Let me give you a quote from a book that you probably don't think too much of-----------
"Pride goeth before the Fall."

But then of course you are above that, and we stupid "believers in inane fairy tales" are NOT. :shrug:

[quote="OrdinaryMelkite, post:17, topic:259499"]
That's a tad TOO confident and arrogant of you to presume tio declare that apologists are easy to disprove and embarass.

How egotistical of YOU to presume that ANY apolegetics person have such weak theological arguments that it is easy to declare so. I guess you think Scott Hahn, Chesterton, or even C.S. Lewis would wilt before the might of Hitchens's, Bill Maher, or even YOUR intellectual arguments.

[/quote]

Sorry, I disagree with you. My opinion? Chesteron was a windbag, Lewis a hack.

I salute you and your ilk, sir. Your arguments are so self-evidently powerful and undisputable it is futile to even declare what they are about. :rolleyes:

Let me give you a quote from a book that you probably don't think too much of-----------
"Pride goeth before the Fall."

Yes. That's exactly what I'm talking about! What kind of egomaniac thinks so much of himself that he believes he and the Almighty are one and the same? Understand the pride that one must feel to claim to know "all things."

But then of course you are above that, and we stupid "believers in inane fairy tales" are NOT. :shrug:

Well, the Noah's Ark thing, at least. You have to give me that. :p

That would be sweet. Colbert would tear up Maher. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.