Bill Maher's Absurd Take on Religion

A great article by Fr. Jonathan Morris

Here is the beginning. Click above for the full article.

If Judaism or Christianity actually taught even a fraction of the absurdities Bill Maher apparently thinks they teach, I would send him my resume and petition him to bring me on as a co-producer of his upcoming documentary, “The Absurdity of Religion” (title still indefinite), as announced last night on Larry King Live. I too would want to reveal the fraud.

I suspect we would make perfect business partners — a publicist’s dream team. My work as an adviser on the set of Mel Gibson’s “Passion of the Christ,” my role as an analyst for the FOX News Channel, and the fact my home and workplace is a stones throw from the Vatican might partially offset Mr. Maher’s reputation as being somewhat bias toward things religious. Together, we would laugh our way all the way to the box office and perhaps liberate a few paltry-minded believers along the way.

But there’s one problem: not a fraction of Bill Maher’s statements about Christian and Jewish belief coincide with what in fact Christianity and Judaism say of themselves.

If Christianity really taught that God sometimes commands us to kill the innocent in his name, I too would doubt. But Mr. Maher, Christianity doesn’t teach that. This would go against the very nature of God as all-loving and all-just. I am equally as scandalized as you are when I see religious people, in our checkered past and present, mistake their own pride and ignorance for the voice of God, and march off to holy war. As Pope John Paul II said, “War is always a failure of humanity.”

What about all the people God commanded and helped kill according the Bible?

33 the LORD our God delivered him over to us and we struck him down, together with his sons and his whole army. 34 At that time we took all his towns and completely destroyed [a] them—men, women and children. We left no survivors. 35 But the livestock and the plunder from the towns we had captured we carried off for ourselves.

16 However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy [a] them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the LORD your God has commanded you.

20 For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that He might utterly destroy them, and that they might receive no mercy, but that He might destroy them, as the LORD had commanded Moses.

24 When Israel had finished killing all the men of Ai in the fields and in the desert where they had chased them, and when every one of them had been put to the sword, all the Israelites returned to Ai and killed those who were in it. 25 Twelve thousand men and women fell that day—all the people of Ai. 26 For Joshua did not draw back the hand that held out his javelin until he had destroyed [a] all who lived in Ai.

It does not seem at all out of character for God to command and help in the killing of innocents.

Father’s opinion of Bill Maher as a comedian is much more charitable than mine. I don’t think his funny and I don’t like anything he has done as a news commentator. IMO he is pampas, arrogant and closed minded, other than that I suppose he is fine.

Suggest the title be shortened

Bill Maher’s Absurd . :smiley:

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I think the commentary is correct…Christianity does not have several of those particular viewpoints.

However…there are several people who call themselves Christian who believe a good number of those things.

The Catholic faith does not believe those things…but several evangelical faiths do.

I read all of Fr. Morris’ article and found it very interesting. I’'ve long been a subscriber to the Franciscan magazine “St. Anthony’s Messenger” and seem to recall a few years ago an article about Bill Maher. What I found interesting in the article is that his sister is a Nun yet the article pointed out the comedian’s strange opinions about the Church. I’m pretty certain my memory is correct on this one but I “googled” Mr. Maher to see if I could learn something more about his family – unfortunately the only part I learned is that his Mom was Jewish and his Dad was a Catholic. Perhaps someone else read the article and could confirm my memory.

Bill Maher is a “performer,” but even so, I have heard him repeat many of the same tired absurdities that other “comedians” have. At one time, comedy was about making jokes suitable for the entire family but it has since become a way to spread propaganda. If there was a Ministry of Propaganda in the United States, “comedians” would be the primary spreaders of it, because they are already.

Bashing Christianity is the “in” thing because we are going through a period when people no longer want to endure sound doctrine. Sex and money have become the new gods, and Mr. Maher’s profanity spewing and sin-loving behavior sickens me. My brothers and sisters, pray for him so that he might come to the knowledge of the Truth.

God bless,
Ed

I’m not defending the man…but most of his ‘jokes’ take on religion from a realm of logic…which often leaves faith by the wayside.

However…you can’t really call it Christianity if the people running the ‘creationism museum’ have a display of man riding dinosaurs with saddles…which they do.

I"m pretty certain that religion is not the problem for the country…it’s the perversion of religion by some of its more extreme elements that cause problems.

Not to derail, but what’s the problem with the Creation Museum showing man with dinosaurs? Will this stop all scientific research? Will the earth stop spinning?

God bless,
Ed

Ummm…ok…I think we can all agree that dinosaurs were around a few millenia before man was…so for a ‘museum’ (which implies that it keeps facts and historical artifacts in one place) to say that this was true seems a little counter intuitive to me.

And that’s the kind of ‘religion’ that is quite dangerous.

Dangerous how?

God bless,
Ed

It’s making stuff up…thats why.

What’s the difference between that kind of false display…and say that kookie reverend who goes around blaming every bad thing that happens in the world on homosexuals?

For a start, it’s a lie. A religion which needs to rely upon lies is fit only to to be vomited out and trodden underfoot. To serve God by lies is really to serve the devil, who is the father of them (John 8.44). It’s blasphemy, & a form of atheism, to do that. God can look after Himself perfectly well :smiley: without having to call on the devil & his works for help.

To support faith by lies is worse than paedophilia, worse than murder, or even treason - such scoundrels can be caught in the act & seen to be the evildoers they are: but liars can be, & often are, mistaken for tellers of truth. If they were caught polluting a fountain, they’d be arrested - but when they defile the well of truth - from which all of us must drink - they are untouched. It’s an obscene, hellish, vile, practice. :frowning:

Uh, what? Evolution is the primary tool of the atheist to push their belief system. Evolution, even as presented on these forums, is placed above the Word of God and never as a complement to it. As far as Theistic Evolutionists, just try saying “God did it” to any believer in the Theory of Evolution.

I believe there is evidence man lived with dinosaurs.

God bless,
Ed

Maybe this is not the best thread for your post (or mine, indeed) - shall we got to your thread ? It would be a pity if this one were closed because it had wandered OTT :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.