Bill would forbid divorcing parents in Massachusetts from having sex in home

A Massachusetts state senator has filed a bill that could prohibit a divorcing parent from having sex in their own home.

Senator Richard J. Ross, a Wrentham Republican, filed by request Bill 787 which would pertain to the divorcing parent still living in the family home. It states:

In divorce, separation, or 209A proceedings involving children and a marital home, the party remaining in the home shall not conduct a dating or sexual relationship within the home until a divorce is final and all financial and custody issues are resolved, unless the express permission is granted by the courts.

boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/03/23/bill-would-forbid-divorcing-parents-massachusetts-from-having-sex-home/LNdv86n7K86w1ioJ3Jp4FO/story.html

When I first saw this I thought it meant with each other :o which seemed a little extreme.

While I agree that parents should not enter into a relationship until after everything is settled or not at all, this bill might be a tad hard to enforce, aye? :stuck_out_tongue:

I seriously object to the part that says “and all financial and custody issues are resolved, unless the express permission is granted by the courts.”

First, I have been divorced for 11 years and my financial and custody issues aren’t resolved. This is not my fault, it is the fault of my ex who refuses to comply with the court orders and the court for being extremely lax in enforcing their orders. So, before I married again, I would have been in violation of this law through no fault of my own. Second, I don’t think anyone over the legal age of consent and sound of mind should ever, ever, ever, have to ask the permission of a court to have sex.

People like this, proposing this kind of absurd legislation, certainly isn’t going to help the GOP’s image…

*Before anyone jumps on that…yes, I know most of the GOP will never support this insane bill. Just saying it doesn’t not help their already stuffy image. *

Well this goes to far. What rubbish. I hope it does not pass.

Uh huh. That’s rather a one sided bill. Even if it passed, I can’t see how it would hold up in court.

I think the headline was purposely made to mislead in that way to make Republicans look unreasonable. The bill is reasonable when one considers how many times people who get caught in in the act of adultery in their marriage bed get killed by the other spouse in the heat of the moment. Doing this in the home is reckless, spiteful, and scandalizes the kids and puts their lives in danger.

Sorry, but this is not a reasonable law for any reason. It will do nothing to stop adultery, reckless and spiteful behavior or scandal. Sorry folks, our Faith gives us guidelines to live by and God gives us free will. You cannot make every aspect of Faith law.

Someone please tell me just how we would enforce this stupid idea, will there be fines, automatic assignment of children to the non-adulterous parent even if he/she is abusive or a sex offender (you know just as long as they did not have sex with their fellow cheater in the house). This is absurd and belongs in the nearest garbage can.

I agree with you 100%. This is about the dumbest thing I have heard/seen in a while. I would think our elected officials could find better ways to spend their time than this. When a country starts making a law for ever aspect of our lives that country is headed for a great fall.

A Massachusetts state senator has filed a bill that could prohibit a divorcing parent from having sex in their own home.

Senator Richard J. Ross, a Wrentham Republican, filed by request Bill 787 which would pertain to the divorcing parent still living in the family home. It states:

In divorce, separation, or 209A proceedings involving children and a marital home, the party remaining in the home shall not conduct a dating or sexual relationship within the home until a divorce is final and all financial and custody issues are resolved, unless the express permission is granted by the courts.

According to Ross, the bill wasn’t his idea and he doesn’t endorse it – he just filed it at the request of one of his constituents.

According to this update, the bill wasn’t Ross’s idea and he doesn’t endorse it – he just filed it at the request of one of his constituents.

Update: In the wake of the negative publicity this bill has been getting, Sen. Ross just issued a statement stressing that SB 787 was filed by request and that he is not the sponsor of this legislation nor does he endorse it. “First and foremost, I believe in the democratic process and true representation of the people,” said Ross. “For that reason, when a constituent requested that I file a free petition on his behalf, I did so.”

I don’t know how he can claim to not be the bill’s sponsor and I also wonder if he would be distancing himself from it if it wasn’t so harshly criticized.

You apparently did not read my post since I gave practical reasons for the law. I did not mention anything about faith.

Exactly. Are they going to have CCTV cameras in the home of everyone undergoing a divorce? Is Big Brother going to watch them? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’ll hurt the GOP’s image only if the bill bans gay sex. :wink:

(I’m just kidding.)

Also, love the signature. Let me try some more mathematics:

:(+:( = :crying:
:smiley: * 2 = :rotfl:

Did I get them right?

They have something way better than CCTV…they have an ex who is likely mad at them and would have no problems ratting them out. :wink:

Why are you still living with your ex after 11 years??? That is utterly bizzare.

A perfectly reasonable law IMHO. It is intended to protect the children; not to prevent sex per se.

Nothing is stopping the parent from having a relationship OUTSIDE the home; just that they cannot bring another person into the home for sex or whatever.

To MJjean:

In a situation like yours, any reasonable judge would give you permission to engage in a relationship.

I’m betting MJjean just skimmed everything, and missed the point about the person still living in the home. In other words, you wouldn’t be allowed to date someone, bring them to the home with your children and ex present. I’m guessing MJjean isn’t living with her ex, and so the proposed law wouldn’t apply.

The proposed law is intended to defuse very volatile situations where divorcing spouses are still living together, and one of them brings home a girlfriend or boyfriend.

This response about sums it up for me. I don’t think its smart or necessarily prudent to date and bring people home to the marital home but I think this would be an example of the law being too far down in the weeds so to speak. I think we need less laws in our bedrooms and our homes in general.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.