Billboard companies ditch atheist group over proposed ‘Genocide and Incest Park’ sign

A group of atheists has raised over $10,000 toward erecting a billboard that blasts an Noah’s Ark-themed amusement park coming soon to Kentucky, but the fate of their farce is up in the air after two local companies rejected the ad.

The group, Tri-State Freethinkers, had hoped to put up a billboard ridiculing the Ark Encounter, an $150 million theme park scheduled to open in Williamstown, Kentucky, in July.

“Genocide and Incest Park: Celebrating 2,000 years of myths,” the proposed billboard would read. Contributors who donated $500 or more to the group’s fundraising efforts were given the option of appearing on the billboard “drowning in the ocean” beneath the hull of Noah’s ark.

m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/12/billboard-companies-ditch-atheist-group-over-propo/

Dumb - but what else can you expect from atheists?

Two types of people tend to read the Bible as if everything is meant to be literally true, fundamentalists and atheists.

ETA: I probably should have said something like “atheist activists” or something like that. I know many atheists that aren’t at all concerned with what the Bible says.

Okay I agree - “activist atheists”. Those are real troublemakers.

“Genocide and Incest Park: Celebrating 2,000 years of myths,”

2000 years?

Removing the theological arguments, that’s some pretty big history related fail right there.

New Atheists are some of the least charismatic people around.

Agreed.

It’s clear their beef is less with religion per se than with Christianity, IMNAAHO

No kidding. For a group of people that, in general, claims to be more intelligent than Christians, they do tend to come off as pretty stupid.

I find it amazing that the existence of this amusement park would anger them so much that they would raise $10,000 just to ridicule it. I think it speaks to the general state of being these types exist in. They lash out against the Truth because they’re too prideful to acknowledge that they might not know everything. Why don’t they put that money to a good use, like feeding the poor or helping out a homeless shelter…

Oh well, that’s atheists for you. Once you abandon God there’s really not much point left in life, so why not waste time on nonsense like this. :shrug:

They sure do spend a pot of time obsessing over someone they claim does not exist.

The group seems to be based in Cincinnati, which is about 40 miles from the park. Although they couldn’t find a billboard company which would help them in Kentucky, they are now trying to find a company outside of Kentucky. They are also planning a protest outside the park on July 7th, which is when it is scheduled to open.

Said the leader of Tri-State Freethinkers: “If it’s in your backyard, you have to address it.”

courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2016/05/10/atheists-stymied-ark-park-billboards/84193812/

The park has generated some negative publicity during the past year: for discriminatory hiring practices and also for receiving government funding to promote tourism. Those funds were taken away in the midst of the controversy, then reinstated by court order.

Does anyone else realise how incredibly fundamentalist (many) atheists are with regards to the Bible? And 2,000 years? What the heck? Most modern scholars date Genesis to about 5 or 6 centuries before Christ (although I have huge issues with “modern” scholarship), not to mention Genesis would have been passed down orally before it was written. That’s more than 2,000 years.

Next to actual Christian Fundamentalists, no one on the Earth take the Bible more literally than atheists. Honestly, they’d probably give the fundamentalists a run for their money a lot of the time.

you know, for being people of “reason”, they sure are **Un **reasonable. No but jokes aside, I do not understand their war on religion. Do they despise God so much that they wish to destroy his Church, and by the only means of Salvation? Frankly, it does not make sense to me, from a scientific or logical mindset.

I am glad that these billboard companies have decided not to host the signs. That said, what can one expect from such Atheist groups? Of course they are going to spend a lot of money trying to ridicule something like this. They hate God and they hate religion.

I think they lash out and resist so much because they DO know its all real and that frightens them to the core.

So they put up a type of atheist firewall, and try to get more and more people to agree with them, after all, misery loves company.

These atheists are interpreting the Bible wrong. They do not know that the story is not meant to be absolutely literal.

A true atheist is indifferent to the idea of a God or Gods, just like I am indifferent to the idea of the Tooth Fairy who I believe does not exist.

Many of these so called atheist are probably reacting to an overly restrictive and religious childhood upbringing and are now rebelling. In my experience, this is usually the case.

This is primarily a spiritual battle.

“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Ephesians 6:12

Ed

I triple-dog dare them to spend that money on a billboard outside of a mosque, or other Islamic site, and make a similar statement like: “Genocide and Incest: Celebrating 1400 years of myths.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.