Billionaire's breakup plan would chop California into six states

San Francisco (Reuters) - A long-shot effort to break California into six separate states got a boost on Monday, when the billionaire venture capitalist behind the proposal said he had gathered enough signatures to place it on the ballot in two years.

Timothy Draper, a founder of a Silicon Valley-based venture capital firm that has invested in Twitter, Skype and Tesla, among other companies, has been agitating for months for a ballot initiative to chop the most populous U.S. state into smaller entities.

“It’s important because it will help us create a more responsive, more innovative and more local government, and that ultimately will end up being better for all of Californians,” said Roger Salazar, a spokesman for the campaign. “The idea … is to create six states with responsive local governments - states that are more representative and accountable to their constituents.”

news.yahoo.com/billionaires-breakup-plan-chop-california-six-states-012144464.html;_ylt=AwrBJR6TlsRT8mMA45vQtDMD

Baloney. The plan is nothing more than to multiply California’s Senate influence by a factor of 6.

BZZZZT!

splitting CA into 2 states is one thing. But 6 is crazy. I agree… it is really ploy to increase the number of US Senators Californians have from 2 to 12.

It would increase the number of senators, but they wouldn’t all be Democrats. I can see possibly 4 Dems, 8 Reps.

I can see this passing, if only because Northern Californians are so inimical to the Third World Hell-zone that is Southern California / Los Angeles. Other than the state name, those two regions don’t have an awful lot in common.

Divvying CA up into six states is ridiculous but two or three would be a good idea.

Small states have more than their fair share of power due to the Senate and Electoral College. One solution would be for the big states to break themselves up into smaller states. Texas has long threatened to divide into five states and here in NY up- and downstate are always bickering.

San Francisco is any better?

While the subdivision of TX into five smaller states is provided for in the 1845 Act of Annexation, few in the state really want it. The governmental advantages would be more than outweighed by the permanent loss of Texan identity. Exchanging Texas for a handful of minor states between the South and the Rockies would be a raw deal.

Not to mention, the state’s relative prosperity to the rest of America is inseparable from our size. The university systems, etc, benefit hugely from mineral resources hundreds of miles away.

ICXC NIKA.

LA and Frisco are my bets for the four Dem senators from the breakup.

I don’t think it will happen, even if the initative passes I’ve been told that the legislature would have to also approve the split-up. I don’t see that happening with our the current legislature.

I can see NCA and SCA but six states? I agree that six would be a bit much! :eek: :stuck_out_tongue: Of course, I can think of a few other states that could be split into two or more states (NY, Ill, Texes).

More division within the “united” states?

Actually yes it is

Well, as far as moral decay goes, San Francisco is a bit hard to defend, but in other ways it’s not comparable to L.A. I’m speaking of the Bay Area’s natural beauty and charm, which is far removed from the endless sprawl of Southern California. I’m actually guessing that might be hard to understand for people who haven’t lived in different parts of California… To put it in California-ese, “It’s just a completely different vibe, man.”:slight_smile:

I was serious when I described L.A. as third world - it truly is. Whereas S.F. is more like a gorgeous European city. It’s night and day. Northern California is green and alive, Southern Cali is cooking to death on a gridlocked 10 lane freeway while you choke on smog.

It’s what’s happening in the world these days. USSR -> 15 different countries, Czechoslovakia -> 2 countries, Yugoslavia -> I lost count, Iraq -> 3 countries (in progress).

Scotland, Catalonia and Venice are some other big ones. Rather than a one world government I see the world about to fragment into many smaller nations, organized and divided more according to traditional peoples and kingdoms. I couldn’t explain precisely why, but it gives me a good feeling to see it happening.

Really? From this side of the Rockies California sure doesn’t seem that way. You guys are dominated by the urbanites too? Here in IL, every county in the state had a majority vote for the republican governor candidate except for two counties. The democrat won. Essentially, nobody outside Cook County, IL matters.

Well, when I hear them speaking different languages, then I’ll start getting worried. Oh, wait…

No need to mince words. Tell me what you really think about my fair city. :stuck_out_tongue:

I predict this will not pass.

And then all the pieces would get swallowed up by neo-imperial powers.

The world needs less localism, fewer flags and visas. Not more.

ICXC NIKA.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.