Bioethical question relating to my job

Hello,

I am seeking council in regards to a potential bioethical dilemma with my job. I sell products used for medical diagnostics - and to this juncture, the products I have sold have primarily been used for cancer diagnostics.

However, due to growth of the business, we may begin selling products that could potentially be used for quite unethical purposes - including prenatal testing that could potentially lead to eugenics influenced abortions. These products have other good purposes, including additional cancer tests, etc.

I am aware that some of the diagnostic products I have sold to this point seem to have been used for unethical purposes (i.e. doctors ordering tests primarily to make money instead of for their clinical utility) - however, these new tests I could potentially be selling seem to be charting new ground.

Do you have any advice for me? I know there are degrees of culpability in relation to evil acts, and that your "closeness" to said act is typically part of the equation...

Based on the information you have, it seems that the products you will be selling can be used to determine risk of an unborn child having a disability or medical problem. As far as I can tell, that product is morally neutral. The information that comes from such tests could just as easily be used to provide better prenatal and newborn care for the at-risk mother and child. Therefore, I don’t think you are culpable if someone used the product for evil purposes.

Did not read the question per se --but wanted to quickly say that one should call the

National Catholic Bioethics Center --ask for an consult --they will answer your question with expertise (they are who CA directs people to)

Yes, I have some advice for you. STOP believing all the class warfare stuff about how those evil doctors do things just to rack up your bill so they get more money.

Woah, there. Uh…I sell to doctors and they aren’t all a perfectly moral bunch. I’m not saying that they all order/bill for unnecessary tests, but some certainly do.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

[quote="Bookcat, post:3, topic:326692"]
Did not read the question per se --but wanted to quickly say that one should call the

National Catholic Bioethics Center --ask for an consult --they will answer your question with expertise (they are who CA directs people to)

[/quote]

Thanks, this is helpful.

Things that give people more information are never really bad it's what they do with the information that is.

[quote="newbie25553, post:5, topic:326692"]
Woah, there. Uh...I sell to doctors and they aren't all a perfectly moral bunch. I'm not saying that they all order/bill for unnecessary tests, but some certainly do.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

[/quote]

As someone who orders prenatal genetic diagnostic tests I assure you I don't get paid a dime for doing so, unless you count the Panera sandwiches you bring my staff once a year. I have never once recommended a patient abort a baby based on an abnormal result. Usually these are ordered to lessen patient anxiety or so they can prepare for delivering a baby with disabilities. Also, if she goes on to miscarry, which is usually whst happens then we have a good explanation.

[quote="THP, post:8, topic:326692"]
As someone who orders prenatal genetic diagnostic tests I assure you I don't get paid a dime for doing so, unless you count the Panera sandwiches you bring my staff once a year. I have never once recommended a patient abort a baby based on an abnormal result. Usually these are ordered to lessen patient anxiety or so they can prepare for delivering a baby with disabilities. Also, if she goes on to miscarry, which is usually whst happens then we have a good explanation.

[/quote]

VERY helpful to have a response from a medical professional. Thank you!

There are many moral reasons to use those tests.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.