Biographies of the Apostles

Greetings! On a protestant End Times thread I frequent, I was asked by one of the people if I knew of any biographies of the Apostles. (I was rather honored, as she said something to the effect that since I was Catholic, I would know more about them!) She's in a group that's been reading fictionalized histories of the Apostles ("Dear and Glorious Physician" by Taylor Caldwell, about St. Luke, comes to mind), and she's looking for something with a bit more historical research and background.

I've checked both TAN and Ignatius, and can't find anything in their catalogs that would match this request (although I will recommend both "The Primitive Church" and "The Life and Glories of St. Joseph", both from TAN). If anyone else has any recommendations, I would love to hear them.

One that comes to mind is The Twelve, by C. Bernard Ruffin.

If you really want to "wow" this person...recommend:**THE APOSTLES *by* Pope Benedict XVI**...
amazon.com/Apostles-Pope-Benedict-XVI/dp/1592764053
Here is the Publisher's prelude:

Product Description

Through the Apostles, we come to Jesus himself." -- Pope Benedict XVIIn this fascinating and inspirational journey with the chosen disciples of Jesus, Pope Benedict XVI demonstrates a profound, unbreakable continuity -- built upon the foundation of the Apostles and alive in the succession of the Apostles -- by which Christ is present today in His Church.
"At the start of the third millennium, my beloved predecessor John Paul II invited the Church to contemplate the Face of Christ (cf. Novo Millennio Ineunte, n. 16 ff.). Continuing in the same direction, I would like to show in this book how it is precisely the light of that Face that is reflected on the face of the Church (cf. Lumen Gentium, n. 1), notwithstanding the limits and shadows of our fragile and sinful humanity. After Mary, a pure reflection of the light of Christ, it is from the Apostles, through their word and witness, that we receive the truth of Christ. Their mission is not isolated, however, but is situated wthin a mystery of communion that involves the entire People of God and is carried out in stages from the Old to the New Covenant." -- From The Apostles

Here is a excellent review by Michael Dubruiel (+ R.I.P.)

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

116 of 118 people found the following review helpful:       
            5.0 out of 5 stars          **A Great Follow-up to  Jesus of Nazareth**, August 6, 2007       
            By [**Michael Dubruiel "annunciations.wordpress.com"**]("http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A1NY72SBX44UJI/ref=cm_cr_dp_pdp") (Birmingham, AL USA)  - [See  all my reviews]("http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1NY72SBX44UJI/ref=cm_cr_dp_auth_rev?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview")

(REAL NAME) (VINE VOICE)

This review is from: The Apostles (Hardcover)

In some way this book was being written at the same time as Jesus of Nazareth as Pope Benedict gave his weekly teaching on the Apostles that Jesus chose and that the Church chose after Jesus' resurrection. The pope had insisted that in Jesus of Nazareth he was writing as Joseph Ratizinger, not as the Pope--but in this book we have the clear teaching of Pope Benedict with some of the same conclusions as he reaches in Jesus of Nazareth, but also a lot more that touches on some issues that were found wanting in the later work by some scholars.

One of Pope Benedict's loudest critics of Jesus of Nazareth was the former Catholic (now Jewish) scholar Geza Vermes who wrote in his review of the book in The Times of London saying "Another recurrent theme in Ratzinger's perception of Christ is that Jesus
intended the Gospel to be preached to all the nations. If so, did he just forget Jesus' sayings that contradict the universality of the apostolic mission, namely, that both Jesus and his disciples were sent only to the "lost sheep of Israel" (Matthew x, 5-6; xv, 24)."

In this book The Apostles, the Pope answers this criticism, showing how the accounts that we have in the Bible show that Jesus clearly intended to create a Church that would reach out beyond the limited scope of Israel. He also provides an excellent overview of what can be known from the Bible and the early church about the first followers of Jesus--as well as what lessons we can derive from their example. This is an excellent follow-up to Jesus of Nazareth and like everything that Joseph Ratzinger writes is clear and precise--while at the same time incredibly inspirational.

The publisher has also created Study Guide for the Apostles by Pope Benedict XVI which will make this book a great small group study item for churches wishing to delve deeper into the Biblical accounts of those Jesus chose to follow Him.

I am the author of The How-To Book of the Mass: Everything You Need to Know but No One Ever Taught You.

Hope this is helpful!
Pax Christi

[quote="Lancer, post:3, topic:201715"]
If you really want to "wow" this person...recommend:**THE APOSTLES *by* Pope Benedict XVI**...
amazon.com/Apostles-Pope-Benedict-XVI/dp/1592764053
Here is the Publisher's prelude:
Here is a excellent review by Michael Dubruiel (+ R.I.P.)
Hope this is helpful!
Pax Christi

[/quote]

good luck getting a protestant to read that;)

Technically, St. Luke is not an apostle.

The apostles were: Peter, Paul, Andrew and "all the other apostles." Sorry, that is my wry sense of humor coming out...from the "abbreviated" Eucharstic prayer.

Okay, here is the full list: Peter, Andrew, James, John, James "the lesser" (such a sad name!) Matthew, Barthlomew, Phillip, Jude, Thomas, Simon, Judas, Mathias,

Paul and Timothy.

I have a book on the lifes of the Apostles after Jesus died but most of it is legend. I think the title of the book is "The Life of the Apostles After Jesus Died" but I can't remember right off the top of my head.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.