Birth Control for Period?

Hi,

This is my first post and I don’t know if I’m doing this right, so please bear with me. :slight_smile: I’m a young Catholic teenager, if that helps. Yesterday I saw a doctor about my period and she very strongly recommended birth control. Whenever I have my period, I throw up, am dizzy, get horrible cramps, and pretty much can’t move for the first three or four days. I’ve been having this problem for almost two years and I’ve tried many things, none of which have worked. I’m obviously not going to have sex and use the pill as a contraceptive but I can’t help thinking that it might be wrong to use it. :frowning: I would like to be able to get over this problem, though. I would really appreciate some advice. Is it wrong?

the question has been answered several times on the Ask an Apologist forum
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=404895&highlight=pill
here is the link, and it guides you to more complete articles on the topic

welcome to the forums, you will get more out of them if you learn the rules of the road on the stickies at the top of each forum and learn to use the search feature to find frequently discussed topics

no there is nor moral issue with taking birth control pills for medical reasons other than preventing pregnancy

Thank you very much!

Don’t think of it like birth control, think of it simply as hormones. You are regulating your body’s hormones even though it’s the same pill, it has different purposes.

There are also alternative means, see the Pope Paul VI Institute and what they call “NaPro Technology” (Natural Procreative Technology). They have been able to use alternative and more refined methods, with and without drugs, to solve many problems women face in this area. Some doctors think that every woman should be on birth control and so they are quick to jump to that easy solution, but there are significant side-effects.

So it’s not wrong in any way to take hormones (birth control pills) to regulate your period if you have severe problems as long as you aren’t also using it as contraception (and since you are young and unmarried, that doesn’t seem like it’d be an issue for several years). However, there are side-effects that you should be made aware of and alternative methods which can get to the real root of the problem. Just something to look into!

Take Care!

[quote="dearswimmer, post:1, topic:238010"]
Hi,

This is my first post and I don't know if I'm doing this right, so please bear with me. :) I'm a young Catholic teenager, if that helps. Yesterday I saw a doctor about my period and she very strongly recommended birth control. Whenever I have my period, I throw up, am dizzy, get horrible cramps, and pretty much can't move for the first three or four days. I've been having this problem for almost two years and I've tried many things, none of which have worked. I'm obviously not going to have sex and use the pill as a contraceptive but I can't help thinking that it might be wrong to use it. :( I would like to be able to get over this problem, though. I would really appreciate some advice. Is it wrong?

[/quote]

You sound like me when I was a teen and in my twenties... I would often throw up from the excessive pain. For me it was taking the active ingredient in Aleve to remove most of the pain.

Later, my periods just got crazy, and I was also prescribed birth control... This is JUST MY OPINION... But I would talk with your parents about having your doctor get down to the root of your problem as opposed to just putting a bandaid on it. As when you get older, your body might have problems adjusting... at the same time, you might not have any problems...

This is all however, between you, your parents and your doctor... And as said above, taking ABC is not birthcontrol in your case... so it's just like any other med...

I had similar problems before I had children and they got worse after my second son was born. I didn’t know what to do and I knew that if I went to my doctor, she was just going to suggest birth control. I talked to my priest about it and he said that as long as it was to treat a medical condition, not to prevent pregnancy, then it was fine.

I went on BC for 6 months hoping that it would “jump start” my cycles to be more regular and less severely painful. After 6 months I went OFF the BC and started taking a dietary supplement called Vitex (found at any drug store) that is to support a healthy female system. This worked out really well for me.

No need to feel guilty if it is for medical reasons, not birth control...if your doctor (in agreement with your parents) think it is worth a try consider it.

BCP will probably help your symptoms, but they don’t do anything to fix whatever problem is causing your pain and they are not without side effects and harmful problems.

You might check out this book:
amazon.com/Fertility-Cycles-Nutrition-Marilyn-Shannon/dp/0926412094
for some alternative measures.

You might also want to contact the Pope Paul IV Institute popepaulvi.com/ so see if they can offer you any advice and help.

Or try to find an NFP only doctor in your area to see if they can help you. onemoresoul.com

While it is morally licit to use BCP for medical purposes, I hate to see such young girls offered this artificial hormone stew that doesn’t cure and could actually do harm.

Agree with Jennifer J. You may want to find out the root of the problems rather than just treating the symptoms.

I agree with everyone saying that it might be best to get to the root of the problem. But honestly sometimes it’s just a weird hormonal imbalance that causes irregular cycles and intense pain during your menses. I underwent testing and the course of treatment was BC for 6 months. It worked very well. Now, a doctor telling you to get on BC and stay on it for the rest of your child bearing years just because you’ve had wonky cycles is ridiculous. I do thin that BC has a valid place in helping these issues as long as its not abused and taken for granted.

Just my 2 cents.

So officially its okay to use birth control if its not used as contraception?

Second what did women do for thousands of years until recent times, i just don't see how birth control can ever be considered okay because it doesnt seem natural?

Third, my ex-girlfriend is a female athlete and she used birth control because she wouldn't get her period because her body fat was so low, so obviously it helps medically. However, my question is does God ever intend for women to be athletes (or men either) and therefore have to take some medication is those instances to be okay health wise?

Yes, birth control is okay if it is used to treat a medical condition.

As far as what women did in the past…there were a lot of herbal remedies used back “in the day.” Some of which are still used today in Europe and less popularly in the U.S…while others turned out to do more harm than good. Birth control is not natural…but neither is chemo-therapy. Both would probably prevent you from becoming pregnant, but that isn’t the intent for which they’re being used. I realize that’s an extreme comparison, I’m just trying to make a point. There are some legitimate uses for birth control to treat medical conditions so long as one is careful to not cross the line into taking it longer than necessary to treat a condition, at which point it is a contraception and no longer a medical treatment. (This advice came from my priest).

I know we’re not supposed to give medical advice here and I’m certainly not a doctor…so I’m just trying to relay the theological and moral advice I was given when I asked my priest similar questions.

As for whether or not God intended for men or women to become atheletes to the extent that it interfered with the physical processes with which we were all born, including procreation among other things…I don’t know if I’m qualified to answer that, but I’d probably lean more towards no being the answer. :confused:

[quote="dearswimmer, post:1, topic:238010"]
Hi,

This is my first post and I don't know if I'm doing this right, so please bear with me. :) I'm a young Catholic teenager, if that helps. Yesterday I saw a doctor about my period and she very strongly recommended birth control. Whenever I have my period, I throw up, am dizzy, get horrible cramps, and pretty much can't move for the first three or four days. I've been having this problem for almost two years and I've tried many things, none of which have worked. I'm obviously not going to have sex and use the pill as a contraceptive but I can't help thinking that it might be wrong to use it. :( I would like to be able to get over this problem, though. I would really appreciate some advice. Is it wrong?

[/quote]

The long and short of it is that it's not considered birth control if its primary function is therapeutic. If you're not having relations, then it simply cannot be considered birth control at all, because the function doesn't exist.

There are occasions where such hormones are necessary. My ex, as a teenager, had periods so bad she would faint from blood loss, and these hormones solved that problem at that time of her life. If you wish to attempt to find a cure rather than simply treat symptoms, see an osteopath.

It did not help medically…because while on it she did not experience a period, it was bleeding, but it was not a period. It shut her down more than her body was already doing itself.

Go to www.omsoul.com to find doctors that will help cure the problems rather than cover them up.

The pill is a class 1 carcinogen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.