Birth-control pills poison?

Birth-control pills poison everyone?
Environmentalists silent on threat from water tainted with estrogen

OK, this is just plain weird and unbelivable, but yet it rings so true…

While environmentalists are usually vocal about perceived threats ranging from pesticides to global warming, there is a silence when it comes to one threat already harming the water supply: hormones from birth-control pills.

According to the National Catholic Register, EPA-funded scientists at the University of Colorado studied fish in a mountain stream near Boulder, Colo., two years ago.

When they netted 123 trout and other fish downstream from the city’s sewer plant, they found 101 were female, 12 were male, and 10 were strange “intersex” fish with male and female features.

It’s “the first thing that I’ve seen as a scientist that really scared me,” university biologist John Woodling told the Denver Post.
worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=56623

Interesting article, especially for someone of my background (medical doctor-general practitioner who took up biology before going to medical school). Thanks for posting it here. The fish population will definitely be afected by the adverse ratio of sexes askewed by feminizing hormones.
I always thought that these synthetic hormones are easily degrade once they come out of one’s sytem, apparently they are not.

With my first pregnancy, several of my co-workers and I were pregnant at the same time, and everyone joked about the drinking water. Perhaps all those pregnancies happened because we weren’t drinking much water.

I heard about the threat to drinking water from birth control pills a several years ago. Few environmentalist paid attention and I rarely see stories about it, but Lifesite also covered this story yesterday. lifesite.net/ldn/2007/jul/07071105.html

If people worry about hormone-free meat and milk products, why don’t they worry about the hormones pushed on women for contraception? As these article points out, these hormone find their way into the environment. If environmentalists are going to blame big business for every environmental problem, the contraceptive industry certainly deserves a share of the blame. High levels of estrogen in the water resulting in abnormal sex characteristics in fish is disturbing, and it makes me wonder what effects this may have on humans. It seems that girls today begin puberty at earlier ages, and a number of people express confussion about their sexual identity–could hormone polution in water play a part?

The ARTIFICIAL part of artificial birth control should concern people more. The NATURAL part of natural family planning deserves greater interest. The Church teachings don’t just help us protect our souls–they may help us protect water and fish too.

This is crazy. People don’t want to drink milk with hormones, or eat genetically engineered corn, but this isn’t going to turn any heads in the major media outlets, because that would “interfere” with too many people’s personal freedom and sexual liberty. Thats an interesting point about more people nowadays being sexually confused. Probably doesn’t help that the thoroughly emasculated man is already the ideal for those who want sex without consequences. God have mercy on us when that becomes the biological norm, on account of our desire to leave Him out of our lives.

I find this article amazing. I’d think one of the networks would be interested in makeing news with it on a slow day just by making the story that news people are scared to make it a story.
Heck, I’m in the New Orleans area, I can only hear them talk about another shooting or murder so many times b/f I just stop listening to the news. But a stort like this could get some buzz.

As for the effects of the horomones in drinking water…I thought I’d heard that men taking the pill (for whatever crazy reason) would be facing serious health risks. If that’s so wouldn’t drinking enough estrogen water do the same?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.