Birth Control to stop pain

Is it wrong to take birth control to stop pain. I know someone who gets terrible pain when she is on her period, it will last for like a week. It makes her suicidal.

Would it be wrong to use birth control if it helped this condition? Assuming she abstained from sex while she was on it.

No, for her doctor thinks it’s the best way to address her pain, she can take it. She doesn’t have to abstain, either.

Let’s be precise with our terms. Words matter.

What you describe isn’t “birth control”. Hormonal pills taken for gynecological reasons aren’t “birth control”, they are medicine. The Church teaches we may take a medication or treat a disease even if the secondary effect is temporary or permanent sterility.

Hormonal pills taken to prevent pregnancy are contraceptives. Contraception is intrinsically evil.

There is no such obligation (assuming you are talking about a married woman).

It is fine for her to take the medication, but she should try to get the underlying cause (pcos? endometriosis?) addressed.

I would stay away from BC as it could cause long term problems and consider seeing a Napro Doctor instead.

It’s not always so simple. Trust me I know from experience.

1ke is right on target (as usual :wink: )

Yes as a medication for a health issue it’s perfectly moral. Marital relations can continue even while on the medication.

According to Napro Doctors who are trained based on Catholic morals and ethics, BC is not the solution.

It may not be a permanent one, but it can be used therapeutically and it’s morally licit to do so.

That’s all I’ll say about it since this is not the appropriate place for medical advice.

Would it be wrong to use birth control if it helped this condition? Assuming she abstained from sex while she was on it.

The Church teaches we may take a medication or treat a disease even if the secondary effect is temporary or permanent sterility.

To the original poster: Consult a competent priest and medical doctor familiar with your situation.

Do not take medical or spiritual advice from complete strangers that propose to expound upon what the “Church teaches”. Instead, seek wise counsel.

As always, the National Catholic Bioethics Center is a good resource:

ncbcenter.org/about-us/contact-us/

They do consultations.

While I agree that one should consult a priest in these matters, the precise purpose of these forums is for people to be able to ask people if they know what the church’s teaching is on certain matters. One should take the opinions with a pinch of salt, but in this case the advice is spot on. Not sure why you put “church teaches” in quotes; it is exactly what the church teaches.

The pulls won’t treat the suicidal problem so medical and mental intervention is a must!

Again, I know from experience that Napro isn’t the end all be all of healthcare. It’s worth a try, but that’s about the extent of it. :shrug:

Good catch. Yes psychological intervention is necessary for suicidal thoughts. :thumbsup:

I spent thousands on NaPro (wasn’t covered by insurance), for them to say “we don’t know what causes your pain”. So yeah, we will take your money and offer a hysterectomy. If I took their advice, I wouldn’t have my son. NaPro is great, but doesn’t work for everyone.

And yes, the pain was so bad I couldn’t walk. I would be in the feral position and just screams. Diet changes, exercise, over the counter meds, massage,etc didn’t help. I could take the highest dose of prescription painkillers and be “okay” but unable to do anything.

The Pill means I’m able to function. I treat it like any medication, it enables me to be the best wife and mother. We did talk to our priest who is fine with it.

If someone wants to judge me for it, then they can watch my son for two weeks every month while I’m in agony. :slight_smile:

I had pain which doctors thought was a permenent problem which others have killed themselves over, and the pain got so bad I understood why they did that. Thank You, God, that my pain was not that problem!

SGTTOM, even in Humanae Vitae the pope says that using what is normally ABC for therapeutic, eg, medical, reasons.

Your friend should try to get the problem resolved, tho, as long-term use is not good for the body. There are other issues as well, i.e., changing levels of attraction (!).

While I agree that one should consult a priest in these matters, the precise purpose of these forums is for people to be able to ask people if they know what the church’s teaching is on certain matters. One should take the opinions with a pinch of salt, but in this case the advice is spot on. Not sure why you put “church teaches” in quotes; it is exactly what the church teaches.

Because there are some laity on these forums who propose to be experts in Church teaching, when they are not. They utilize highly specious arguments and legalism to promote their personal agenda. And they give advice that is both medically unsound and spiritually harmful.

Napro doctors are known to fix problems such as the one the OP has. Napro Doctors also know the repercussions of using BC. BC can cause more damage and good. For those who are not educated on Napro Doctors, educate yourself. I don’t know why there are those who are opposed to Napro Doctors.

I don’t think anyone has expressed opposition to napro. They’re just saying that they are not the solution to everything. And they’re not. I was seeing one and they helped with some aspects of what was going on, but I ended up needing to see someone else to get the main problem fixed.

I’m not opposed to NaPro, just that it didn’t work for me. And I was made to feel like a failure because it didn’t. “It works 99% of the time, why didn’t it work for you?” Because 99% isn’t 100%?

If it works for someone, awesome! But to act like NaPro is the only thing you need is unfair to those whose problems fall outside their expertise.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.