Birth Control

Hello, my wife has for female reasons had to be on birth control since age 14, we have been able to stop using it to have our 3 children, however on the 3rd her post partem depression was so bad that we nearly lost her. I won’t go into detail but it was horrible. We vowed to never to have more kids as a safety to her. Our youngest is now 6yo. So because of this I don’t feel like we are breaking the rule of birth control.I believe God would understand entirely. Am I wrong?

If the drug is being used to treat a medical condition, then it is allowed. If its purpose is to eliminate the procreative aspect of sex, then that is problematic. I’m unclear as to what the case is in your situation.

This seems like a possible delicate pastoral situation, and I would strongly recommend scheduling an appointment to speak with a priest to discuss the issue and personal details further.

I agree with this. :thumbsup:

I’ll be praying for you and your wife.

Wesrock is correct, medical uses of hormonal contraceptives is permitted

1. On the other hand, the Church does not consider at all illicit the use of those therapeutic means necessary to cure bodily diseases, even if a foreseeable impediment to procreation should result there from—provided such impediment is not directly intended for any motive whatsoever.

Humanae Vitae

Some types of birth control can kill a conceived child. Stay away from that because nothing is worse than killing a child in the womb no matter how low the percentage is.

I’m not a doctor but I have heard birth control such as the pill has no benefits whatsoever.

It is true that sometimes different remedies will be just as or more effective, or even effect a cure altogether. Naprotechnology would be something for the OP and his wife to look into if they haven’t already.

That said, the bolded is absolutely false. Contraceptives such as the Pill or patch are a kind of hormone therapy. For some conditions the elevated levels of hormones can be therapeutic. When used as directed they also prevent ovulation, hence their use as contraception. Devices such as Mirena IUD (not plain copper) can also be used as hormone therapy, but they pose an added risk for failure of implantation.

I disagree with your earlier assertion as well, but that’s been hashed out numerous times on this forum so I don’t see the point in going into it again now.

Just to be clear, that is true as long as it is directly treating a non pregnancy related medical condition, but not as a way to prevent a condition where pregnancy is the precursor. For example it is not licitly to use contraceptives as a way to “treat” gestational diabetes since contraceptives do not directly treat diabetes and is really avoiding a secondary out come from pregnancy. On the otherhand it is valid to use them for things such as PCOS where contraception is almost a side effect. In essence the primary purpose must be to treat nonpregancy related issues where contraception is a secondary effect.

Long and short, if the reason for use is purely to avoid issues directly related to pregnancy and birth, then use is generally illicit. The basic rule I was given was, if you would use it to treat something while not sexually active it is probably licit; if you are only using it to avoid pregnancy related issues it is likely illicit.

That of course does not rule out mixed needs, but there must be a reason beyond those related only related to pregancy, child birth, and rearing children. It is not enough to simply say any medical condition makes use licit.

I know you are aware of the above (and hence the reference to Humanae Vitae :thumbsup:), I am just trying to spell it out for those that are not as versed in the moral use of medications that can prevent conception.

If you take birth control for the express purpose of not concieving. Then yes you are outside of the faith. So it would not be permissible to take birth control to prevent conception because you fear ppd. It would be permissible to take a drug to treat a medical problem that had the unintended consequence of preventing perception. The church is clear and the idea that " God will understand your special circumstance" is just rationalization.

You should look into nfp if you feel you cannot concieve at this time.

OK if you’re not a doctor then please do not give out a load of Bull that you don’t know what you are talking about.

I AM a NP and I CAN tell you that there ARE benefits.

I know, I know. I’m off topic and probably completely out of line. But if everybody posted “what they have heard” without knowing what they are talking about, we would have serious problems.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.