Birth Defects Tied to Fertility Techniques

Infants conceived with techniques commonly used in fertility clinics are two to four times more likely to have certain birth defects than are infants conceived naturally, a new study has found.

nytimes.com/2008/11/18/health/research/18birth.html

This does not surprise me at all. Violating God’s law has consequences.

I don’t think God intends to punish anyone when a child is born with birth defects. In fact, these families are indeed special when they raise or take the child to full term instead of aborting them in the womb as many clinics encourage them to do when they discover a defect. Instead, we should state the risks clearly…and encourage couples who resort to fertility clinics to consider the adoption option or prolife doctors that do not use invitro procedures to assist a couple in having a baby.

stbruno

I don’t think God intends to punish anyone when a child is born with birth defects.

Its not a punishment from God, but the consequences of trying to manipulate nature, from the way God designed it. This in reality is what the consequences of sin are.

In fact, these families are indeed special when they raise or take the child to full term instead of aborting them in the womb as many clinics encourage them to do when they discover a defect.

Couples who go through in vetro fertilization, end up with many embryos, which are thrown out or used for experimentation, which is the controversy around embryonic stem-cell research.

The Church opposes in vetro fertilization, but in my opinion, hasn’t been vocal enough on it.

Instead, we should state the risks clearly…

The problem is, the consequence for the risk isn’t theirs, but the child they produce and society, who could possibly share the burden paying for the person with a disability in their adult life.

.and encourage couples who resort to fertility clinics to consider the adoption option or prolife doctors that do not use invitro procedures to assist a couple in having a baby.

Generally, couples who resort to in vetro fertilization, are those who can’t use other methods.

We have the bazaar stories of grandmothers having babies, gay couples, and such.

The Church should be speaking out more strongly against in vetro fertilization.

Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.